User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think your appearance while using coupons makes a difference?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 61.70%
  • No

4 8.51%
  • I don't care

7 14.89%
  • Never paid attention

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Do you think your appearance while using coupons makes a difference?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So this past weekend I watched the Extreme Couponing Marathon on TLC and it brought something to my attention which I have personally been wondering for quite some time.

No negative comments, this is strictly based on our own "personal opinions or perceptions".

Do you get dressed up, make-up, good shoes, etc. to go out and do your shopping especially is you are using coupons?

Do you think that the way you dress, present yourself (hair done) and make-up worn makes a difference in how stangers look at you and treat you if you are using coupons?

Do you think it makes a difference at the cash, less hassle using coupons, no csm called unless it's for an overide, etc.????

So in a nutshell do you think you are treated better with your nice clothes, makeup, etc....vs. if you are in your comfy clothes, no make up, etc?

Thoughts, opinions...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Frugal Lisa likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I thought I was the only one that felt this way? Although I do the majority of my couponing on the weekends in my hoodie I'm always sure that I'm wearing a little make-up and look presentable, it gives me confidence. That way if I'm ever given pushback from a cashier I have to confidence to be persistant, so far I haven't had any issues that I wasn't able to overcome.

I know that it shouldn't make a difference and I feel really shallow even suggesting it, but ever since my run in at Pandora with a stuck up sales lady treating me like I couldn't afford to shop there I've decided I won't let anyone make me feel that way again. It was basically my "Pretty Woman" moment...I asked the price of an item and she seriously just looked me straight in the face and responded "its not cheap" and walked away!! Giving me a look to say that I don't belong in their store.

All it takes is a little lip gloss and great hair and I have the confidence to take on the world. Unfortunately my Pandora experience was on the way home from the gym so I'm sure my appearance had everything to do with her attitude. It just drives me crazy when you get a pain in the butt cashier that decided to try to ruin my day by giving me a hard time and acting like the savings is coming from her pay.
    Last edited by Girlyone123; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
    I love couponing!!!

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

Do you get dressed up, make-up, good shoes, etc. to go out and do your shopping especially is you are using coupons?
    NO

Do you think that the way you dress, present yourself (hair done) and make-up worn makes a difference in how stangers look at you and treat you if you are using coupons?
    Yes

Do you think it makes a difference at the cash, less hassle using coupons, no csm called unless it's for an overide, etc.????
    No

So in a nutshell do you think you are treated better with your nice clothes, makeup, etc....vs. if you are in your comfy clothes, no make up, etc?
    No

I voted YES before I read what you meant by it but based on different things like

Young vs Old, Having your children with you etc
    ticul and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

ha that is funny as I went there just before Mother's day as my kids were buying me a Cherry Blossom ring, walked in with jeans and a hoodie and no make-up with my 2 kids and I got the same reaction - but this lady's response was "oh you want that ring" ummm yes in a size 5

even better as it is going back - the expensive ring turned my finger green and the physical ring is changing colors - CHEAPLY made apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyone123 View Post
    but ever since my run in at Pandora with a stuck up sales lady treating me like I couldn't afford to shop there I've decided I won't let anyone make me feel that way again. It was basically my "Pretty Woman" moment...I asked the price of an item and she seriously just looked me straight in the face and responded "its not cheap" and walked away!! Giving me a look to say that I don't belong in their store.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I know that it shouldn't make a difference and I feel really shallow even suggesting it, but ever since my run in at Pandora with a stuck up sales lady treating me like I couldn't afford to shop there I've decided I won't let anyone make me feel that way again. It was basically my "Pretty Woman" moment...I asked the price of an item and she seriously just looked me straight in the face and responded "its not cheap" and walked away!! Giving me a look to say that I don't belong in their store.
    That's shocking. I suppose the saleslady hasn't noticed that she pushes glass and enamel charms? Neither of them are precious stones or metals.

She's right, it's not cheap, but the materials and quality of workmanship, ....for what they're asking, I've always thought they should be grateful for every customer.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Thanks for sharing

I thought I was the only one that felt this way? Although I do the majority of my couponing on the weekends in my hoodie I'm always sure that I'm wearing a little make-up and look presentable, it gives me confidence. That way if I'm ever given pushback from a cashier I have to confidence to be persistant, so far I haven't had any issues that I wasn't able to overcome.

All it takes is a little lip gloss and great hair and I have the confidence to take on the world. Unfortunately my Pandora experience was on the way home from the gym so I'm sure my appearance had everything to do with her attitude. It just drives me crazy when you get a pain in the butt cashier that decided to try to ruin my day by giving me a hard time and acting like the savings is coming from her pay.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Thanks for taking a moment to answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Peachykeen2007 View Post
    NO

Yes

No

No

I voted YES before I read what you meant by it but based on different things like

Young vs Old, Having your children with you etc

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

[QUOTE=jasperandchar;5461423]So this past weekend I watched the Extreme Couponing Marathon on TLC and it brought something to my attention which I have personally been wondering for quite some time.

No negative comments, this is strictly based on our own "personal opinions or perceptions".

No I do not put make-up on.... but that is because I don't wear make up.
    I do however make sure that I am not looking like I just came out of bed etc. so yes my hair is combed my clothing are comfortable etc.... I make sure I'm (
    Presentable)

Do you think that the way you dress, present yourself (hair done) and make-up worn makes a difference in how strangers look at you and treat you if you are using coupons?
    Absolutely 100%. And if you don't believe me grab a girlfriend have one of you "dress nicely" and the other with the " I just got out of bed look". Take the same coupons, take the same stuff, go to the same cashier, send the "I just got out of bed look" through the tilt and wash the scrutiny that her coupons might get, the cashier probably won't even engage her in conversation etc.
    And watch the "nicely dress" friend goes through the tilt and she'll probably get less scrutiny on her coupons, will more likely be engage in a conversation, she will probably be asked stuff like where do you get your coupons? How smart you are for saving a buck etc.
    PERCEPTION,
    even if it's a false one, unfortunately in our society means a lot.

Yes and No..It would depends on the coupon that you are trying to use.
    But I still think if they think that you are dress well enough even though you are using a coupon they would always try to please you more.

Yes. Like I said unfortunately we live in a visual world and perception even though false still mean more to people than the truth.

Thoughts, opinions...
    ticul, ishyx0x and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Thanks for sharing

[QUOTE=LuvToUseCoupons;5461540]
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    So this past weekend I watched the Extreme Couponing Marathon on TLC and it brought something to my attention which I have personally been wondering for quite some time.

No I do not put make-up on.... but that is because I don't wear make up.
    I do however make sure that I am not looking like I just came out of bed etc. so yes my hair is combed my clothing are comfortable etc.... I make sure I'm (
    Presentable)

Do you think that the way you dress, present yourself (hair done) and make-up worn makes a difference in how strangers look at you and treat you if you are using coupons?
    Absolutely 100%. And if you don't believe me grab a girlfriend have one of you "dress nicely" and the other with the " I just got out of bed look". Take the same coupons, take the same stuff, go to the same cashier, send the "I just got out of bed look" through the tilt and wash the scrutiny that her coupons might get, the cashier probably won't even engage her in conversation etc.
    And watch the "nicely dress" friend goes through the tilt and she'll probably get less scrutiny on her coupons, will more likely be engage in a conversation, she will probably be asked stuff like where do you get your coupons? How smart you are for saving a buck etc.
    PERCEPTION,
    even if it's a false one, unfortunately in our society means a lot.

Yes and No..It would depends on the coupon that you are trying to use.
    But I still think if they think that you are dress well enough even though you are using a coupon they would always try to please you more.

Yes. Like I said unfortunately we live in a visual world and perception even though false still mean more to people than the truth.

Thoughts, opinions...
    LuvToUseCoupons likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Personally I have had more issues while dressed for work than while in jeans etc on the weekend (although you will never see me out without makeup etc) - I have even had a cashier ask me why I coupon when she could tell where I worked (still had my ID tag on) and I make enough $$ not to be cheap
    sweetmomma, LIVE SIMPLE and ticul like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't get dressed up , but I also don't wear my pj's to walmart.. LOL. I find that having a decent appearance might help but attitude goes a long way. Always chat up with your cashier, enjoy the coupon experience and they will too.. I love coupons!!

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

I never really thought of it. I mean I will run into shoppers in my 'grubby' clothes, but usually only to get dd meds (when we are both sick or she has been for a long time and I can't sleep). But when I go out to do my groceries it's usually on a Friday evening and I have never really thought of what I am wearing to be honest. People are jerks no matter what sometimes.
    Last edited by Frugal Lisa; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
    ishyx0x and jasperandchar like this.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

And also, I do 'big shops' every Friday, I have gone in my jogging pants used over $100 in coupons and had amazing experiences. Mind you I know most of the cashiers (not personally, just that I shop there often and have become a 'regular') so that may sway my opinion on this.
    ticul and jasperandchar like this.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by picsbycrys View Post
    I don't get dressed up , but I also don't wear my pj's to walmart.. LOL. I find that having a decent appearance might help but attitude goes a long way. Always chat up with your cashier, enjoy the coupon experience and they will too.. I love coupons!!
    I love this answer! I find if I chat with my cashier, they become more into the order and appreciate the coupons instead of being annoyed by them (generalization - clearly not all cashiers hate couponers).

Therefore I always try and chat with my cashiers....even compliment them, especially if they are speedy.

As for me entering a shopping centre - I don't always wear makeup either but always look presentable. I will however go to Walmart in yoga pants, but definitely not in plaid pj bottoms
    Mia001, sweetmomma, ticul and 1 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

From being a cashier for 3 years at a superstore/nofrills i personally couldn't care less what you were wearing lol we had to keep a till speed of 21 items per minute so that's where my focus is half the time on scanning like a machine.The customers mainly the groups of men thought it was a game to stand at the end of the till and try and bag as fast as i could scan (never could haha)

That being said i never had a problem taking a coupon maybes its because i coupon myself but one thing that would drive me insane is the rude coupon using people.I don't care if your beautiful and stepped off a vogue shoot if you cram that coupon in my face and just be a complete turd i am not going to be a happy cashier.I never really get dressed up though when i go out shopping granted i am not in my PJs and i dont really wear make-up but i am pretty young and my husband is 19 so if people judge me with coupons it be more so based on my age and thinking i am a broke young person lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information