User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think your appearance while using coupons makes a difference?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 61.70%
  • No

4 8.51%
  • I don't care

7 14.89%
  • Never paid attention

7 14.89%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Do you think your appearance while using coupons makes a difference?

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

I also agree with the above and think that any cashier who at all has a brain would NOT judge anyone. I have a gentlemen who comes in to the tilt with tattoo's nice as ANYTHING, then I have this older gentlemen say 50'ish who is always cranky.... tapping his debit card or money for me to serve him drives me nuts. I love when people come to my till with coupons because alot of times they have the coupon on the product and I don't even look at it, and put it in....their usually dumbfound and say did you take the coupon off? Yup...then they say but you didn't look at it...my response is I know the exp date of almost every coupon out there no need to lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (50%)

I voted no based not on my experience as a coupon user (which probably isn't big enough to judge, although so far I haven't had any problems and I don't wear makeup or "dress up" to shop) but as a cashier. I have some regular coupon using customers that I love and a couple that I inwardly groan when I see them coming to the cash and it's all based on attitude. If the customer is patient while I check out their coupons, is kind enough to point out the elusive expiry date that I can't see, doesn't make rude noises at me if I double check that the product they are buying is admissible then they can bring $200 of coupons to my cash in their PJs for all I care. If they are going to do the above things, then they could have 1 coupon and be dressed in a designer evening gown and I'd prefer not to be the one serving them.

Like it or not, a lot of stores hold the cashiers responsible for the coupons they accept. In my store we can't even scan them, I need to manually enter them. If a coupon is fake, wrong product, wrong expiry, one per customer/transaction and I accept it, I hear about it and could need to pay for it if it happens often enough. Most people are very honest, if there is a mistake with their coupon, there is no problem to give it back to them and they are apologetic. Some people, not so much

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I think in general, coupons or not, people judge you for your appearance. Regardless of how cliche it sounds or shallow it may be, sadly one's appearance effects how others will see them.

I am a fairly shy, slightly self conscious person and frustratingly enough, I get anxious when I'm at the check out. So when I know I'm going to be standing at a checkout for 20 minutes doing my PM and using coupons, I make sure I'm showered, hair done, makeup on and nice clothing. But that's more about my weird quirks than how I feel I will be treated.

I think that the way I treat people rather than the way I look has more of an effect in how I am treated while checking out. I always try to be organized and polite and go out of my way to be thankful and patient with them as I know it's tedious for the cashier.

Great thread
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

hopesdreams
    Trading Score
    235 (100%)

Yes I do dress up(clean neat clothes) to shop and use coupons. There is the odd time I have not been dressed up to shop on those days of personal PMS or the family was up sick all night.
    I try to never leave the house without lip gloss clear or tinted. Earrings too. Just because it makes me feel better. I do what makes me feel comfortable to shop. Seems silly but I need to feel brave at times to use coupons. I can tell at a couple of stores they treat people better when they are dressed up. Only my personal feelings. Always do what makes you feel comfortable. Yes life does judge people by their style. Sad but true. thanks for asking
    Do onto others as you wish done to you.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/hopesdreams

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Confession time. This is me at the grocery store:

Name:  z202060184.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  39.3 KB

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Now you know my true identity.
    Taylor Swift.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Now you know my true identity.
    Taylor Swift.
    Not.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

hubba bubba (lol)

Shwa Girl and Frugal Lisa like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    hubba bubba (lol)
    I have shopped at The Bay on Bloor in downtown Toronto, wearing jeans and a back pack. The sales staff left me alone.

I have shopped at the same The Bay store wearing nice clothes. The sales staff followed me.

Meh, sometimes the back pack is the best thing to shop with.

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Hey Shwa Girl, I'll be in your general area (lol) this weekend for a wedding, we should go couponing in dresses!! Lol!
    LIVE SIMPLE and jasperandchar like this.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I have seen people buying a couple of items without coupons get more attitude and problems than I do with a handful of coupons. Though as a general rule I try to look "decent" all the time, I think, as other posters have mentioned, that more important is having a positive and friendly demeanour. I personally make an effort to say "Hi" with a smile and "How are you doing?"... before a cashier even starts to do his or her thing. Though frankly I did that even before I started couponing. To add a personal story, I followed a "cold" customer at a store this weekend. Not exactly rude... but not someone I'd want to be a friend (haha). I got my very first SCOP in a year and a half of couponing, without expecting it or asking (turns out it was a pretty big error)... the cashier was on the phone immediately to confirm what I had said about the signage and rang my SCOP in without even blinking and the multiples of the same item at the displayed price. Interestingly enough, the "cold" customer in front of me had an issue with signage as well... the cashier had just kind of stared at her and sort of shrugged. Funny thing is, if she had done that to me with this particular error, I wouldn't have argued! I would say the "cold" customer and I were dressed and made up in a similar fashion. Attitude makes a huge difference, in my opinion. As Bronwen said, "I think that the way I treat people rather than the way I look has more of an effect in how I am treated while checking out. I always try to be organized and polite and go out of my way to be thankful and patient with them as I know it's tedious for the cashier." Though, Bronwen... if you're lucky... you can find cashiers that LIKE getting coupons because it breaks up the monotony of being on cash. I've heard it said, and I was one of them many years ago. So try not to be anxious!!! It's part of the job... and if you are respectful and aren't trying to pawn off bad coupons... you should have nothing to be anxious about. Just smile!
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I have shopped at The Bay on Bloor in downtown Toronto, wearing jeans and a back pack. The sales staff left me alone.
    This sounds good to me!
    Shwa Girl and jasperandchar like this.
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I like it when they ignore me or give me the pretty woman treatment when I'm doing mystery shopping. I have lots to write when completing the feedback form lol.

I usually don't bother with make-up, nice dress etc. I shop in jeans and tshirt and have DH use the coupons, while I look after DS who will have a cute conversation with the cashier. The cashier will go "awwww" and process quickly . DH has more success with coupons that me.

We also choose the cashier. Young male preferably (no fuss and very quick), then young female. I avoid middle age/old females. They tend to give me a hard time, unless I have DS with me.
    LIVE SIMPLE likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Appearance matters to me as I don't like looking like a "hot mess" but if it's laundry day I may have track pants on. Unfortunately being a SAHM I don't have a wide variety of clothing anymore except in the mom category but I look presentable enough. I think there are 2 types of cashiers typically--1)the kind who think you're an extreme couponer and may even dread you have come to their till or 2)the ones who get excited and are happy for your savings and may even be surprised about the couponing world out there! I try to go to cashiers I regularly use which helps!
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

As a mother of a toddler, I consider myself dressed up if I put on a bra and take a shower!

That being said, I try to be showered, hair combed and have clothes on that are not stained by any hands by the time I get out the door. LOL

It has been my experience that cashiers actually are more "sympathetic" to a mommy type, especially if I have my cutie pie toddler son in tow to wow them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information