User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think your appearance while using coupons makes a difference?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 61.70%
  • No

4 8.51%
  • I don't care

7 14.89%
  • Never paid attention

7 14.89%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Do you think your appearance while using coupons makes a difference?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hopesdreams View Post
    Yes I do dress up(clean neat clothes) to shop and use coupons. There is the odd time I have not been dressed up to shop on those days of personal PMS or the family was up sick all night.
    I try to never leave the house without lip gloss clear or tinted. Earrings too. Just because it makes me feel better. I do what makes me feel comfortable to shop. Seems silly but I need to feel brave at times to use coupons. I can tell at a couple of stores they treat people better when they are dressed up. Only my personal feelings. Always do what makes you feel comfortable. Yes life does judge people by their style. Sad but true. thanks for asking
    My dad who is in his 80's has always told me "life does judge people by their style" and always told me to dress up, smell and look good when going out in public. And I have been a cashier and key holder for various places in difference provinces and cashiers do talk and do judge customers. When someone leaves wearing pj's and a tank top and wearing slippers, some cashiers will talk about that person all day and even jokes into the next day. And you go back to the store a few days later and they remember you. I have two friends who work at Walmart and (I have worked there) now and its all I hear about certain customers, what was said and worn etc and they have generalized comments about couponers.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    324 (100%)

LOL its sooooo true
    I miss my time when I could spend an hour dressing up and putting make up

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    As a mother of a toddler, I consider myself dressed up if I put on a bra and take a shower!

That being said, I try to be showered, hair combed and have clothes on that are not stained by any hands by the time I get out the door. LOL

It has been my experience that cashiers actually are more "sympathetic" to a mommy type, especially if I have my cutie pie toddler son in tow to wow them.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    My dad who is in his 80's has always told me "life does judge people by their style" and always told me to dress up, smell and look good when going out in public. And I have been a cashier and key holder for various places in difference provinces and cashiers do talk and do judge customers. When someone leaves wearing pj's and a tank top and wearing slippers, some cashiers will talk about that person all day and even jokes into the next day. And you go back to the store a few days later and they remember you. I have two friends who work at Walmart and (I have worked there) now and its all I hear about certain customers, what was said and worn etc and they have generalized comments about couponers.
    We are not cashiers, but if we were every overheard discussing, especially joking about, a client's dress etc, I would imagine we would be fired fairly quickly
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    We are not cashiers, but if we were every overheard discussing, especially joking about, a client's dress etc, I would imagine we would be fired fairly quickly
    nay managers were worse. mine for walmart was female, older and horrible she looked at people and made horrible comments.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    When someone leaves wearing pj's and a tank top and wearing slippers, some cashiers will talk about that person all day and even jokes into the next day. And you go back to the store a few days later and they remember you. I have two friends who work at Walmart and (I have worked there) now and its all I hear about certain customers, what was said and worn etc and they have generalized comments about couponers.
    Is that where all the WM workers are when I'm looking for a line up that's not ten people long with carts loaded to the brim and four lanes open? Or why the meat department is always deserted when I need help to sticker the meat at the new price to PM?

What do I need to do to get them to come and help? The way some workers make themselves scarce, I have wondered that if I broke something, would they come running out of the woodwork then?

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    It has been my experience that cashiers actually are more "sympathetic" to a mommy type, especially if I have my cutie pie toddler son in tow to wow them.
    Wow good for you! (not meant to be sarcastic at all). Maybe it's easier with one toddler in tow? It takes a brave soul IMO to grocery shop with toddlers lol. I almost never take my two (ages 2 and 3; ten and a half months apart) with me, unless we are on our way home from the park and I'm running in for one thing. Can't risk them having a melt down lol. I'm already anxious enough to grocery shop!
    GeorgiaK and jasperandchar like this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MakaylaGreen View Post
    we had to keep a till speed of 21 items per minute so that's where my focus is half the time on scanning like a machine.The customers mainly the groups of men thought it was a game to stand at the end of the till and try and bag as fast as i could scan (never could haha)
    hahaha this made me chuckle. I was a cashier for many years, and I was pretty darn quick! Not many people could keep up with me lol, but I always try to keep up with the cashier when I'm bagging, and your right, it tends to not work out in my favor lol.

To answer the OP;

I rarely go out of the house without make up or looking semi-decent.
    UNLESS i'm going to SDM on Sunday at 8:30am (way before most people in my city get up/out and before church gets out LOL) in which case, I'm in my lululemon pants and my hair up in a pony-tail. (PS I practically LIVE in lulu's haha)

I haven't really noticed a difference as far as I'm treated, but I just feel like I should always be presentable. Unfortunately, we are constantly being judged on our appearances. So... as much as I could care less what other people think, I do keep in mind people are always forming their own opinions... no matter what I wear/do/say/am.
    Last edited by nessa23; Wed, May 29th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Bronwen and jasperandchar like this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    Wow good for you! (not meant to be sarcastic at all). Maybe it's easier with one toddler in tow? It takes a brave soul IMO to grocery shop with toddlers lol. I almost never take my two (ages 2 and 3; ten and a half months apart) with me, unless we are on our way home from the park and I'm running in for one thing. Can't risk them having a melt down lol. I'm already anxious enough to grocery shop!
    When DS has a meltdown, that's when the cashier will go very fast
    Either they don't want to hear a crying toddler for long, or they feel sorry for me lol
    Bronwen and jasperandchar like this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Toddler meltdowns I can live with........(please don't throw tomatoes at me)what I hate as a cashier is the little ones pushing the button for the convarer button squishing everything and I can't fit everything properly, play with the chains banging them VERY loudly, hard to explain put the post between the cash the bottom there is a loose circle part and there banging them non stop like a loud Cybele or worse yet screaming at the top of their lungs for their treat and the mother telling me to hurry up to scan it to give it back! Basically letting their little ones do what they want......
    xox2010, Bronwen and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Ugh undisciplined kids. Don't even get me started lol.
    KK7 and jasperandchar like this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I can't resist.
    I was thinking of the People of Walmart pics.
    Here is a video of the best customers -- what we should all strive to be like.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    Toddler meltdowns I can live with........(please don't throw tomatoes at me)what I hate as a cashier is the little ones pushing the button for the convarer button squishing everything and I can't fit everything properly, play with the chains banging them VERY loudly, hard to explain put the post between the cash the bottom there is a loose circle part and there banging them non stop like a loud Cybele or worse yet screaming at the top of their lungs for their treat and the mother telling me to hurry up to scan it to give it back! Basically letting their little ones do what they want......
    I had one of those parents in front of me at FB the other day, her kid was playing with the button on my belt and squished my bread and stuff with the heavier stuff. The cashier was super nice and sent someone back for another loaf of bread for me without me saying anything, but why should the store replace my bread because she didn't control her kid
    KK7, xox2010, Bronwen and 1 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Yup. It's too bad, but appearance seems to count to retail employees, which I've never really understood, since most of them are not making that much at their jobs.

It really upsets me when I see recent immigrants being treated rudely by cashiers right after the cashier has been polite with me. Some cashiers really pull a Jekyll and Hyde. I imagine those customers would not be treated well if they tried to use coupons.

On another note, I've noticed since having kids that when I'm out shopping alone, men look at me. (And no, I'm not beautiful!) When I'm dressed the same and out with the kids, I'm all but invisible!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    On another note, I've noticed since having kids that when I'm out shopping alone, men look at me. (And no, I'm not beautiful!) When I'm dressed the same and out with the kids, I'm all but invisible!
    Guess you're more beautiful than you think if you're turning heads!

Also, when did men decide that hitting on women in grocery stores might be successful? Lol, I have been hit on/followed and yelled at (like dumb cat calling and whistling and stuff) a number of times while grocery shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I go shopping in sweats, hoodie with my hair tired lol but I'm allso usually with a cranky by the time I'm done lol I don't notice. Different vs being dressed nice ( happens rarely haha) I find smiling, good attitude and knowing my stuff goes along way!
    Mia001 and jasperandchar like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information