User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone else get dirty looks,eye rolls or other rude gestures when using coupons?
    Yesterday I took advantage of the Free Chocolate Cheerios by using 5 coupons. I planned to use them to make rice-crispy-like treats with them for my lunches and freeze them. I don't make a lot of money,and am recently separate from my husband... so every dollar I earn I have to stretch to the max. When the chance to take a tiny step ahead comes up by getting something for free,I take advantage of it.
    I cashier I had was very new and had to call over a supervisor for help. The supervisor tried to inform me that I couldn't use all my coupons at once. I, having read my coupons closely, agreed. It read one coupon per purchase. I told her I'd happily split my order up to make 5 individual purchases.
    She rudely rolled her eyes,scowled at me and said " well I guess I can't stop you from doing that". She barked to the cashier "Just take them and get her out"...
    I'm tired of being looked at so rudely and having cashiers treating my like a criminal of something.
    Just wondering if anyone else ever gets the same treatment and how do you handle it?
    ~j
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They can roll their eyes (and make rude remarks) all they want

We are saving money !!!

It is perfectly legal to use coupons in Canada.

(maybe they're just jealous of our savings )
    Last edited by AmberLab; Thu, Jun 23rd, 2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: removed unneccessary comment

Never met a dog or coupon I didn't like.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Liz!!

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

yes .... there are several cashiers that are rather rude whenever I use coupons at my local IGA they take their time reading every word and roll their eyes and thats just for using three coupons .... wait till I start using a bunch!

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Even though it's difficult I agree that you just have to ignore the rude comments. Being informed about coupon wording, coupon policies, etc can help you to be a confident shopper. I take some comfort in the relative anonymity of living in a large city where I rarely see the same shoppers/cashiers twice so why should I let their opinions get me down?

Deal Hunter
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

I always try to be super friendly but there are some that are snippy rude and think its ok to beliddle the customer. It really bothers me considering I take great pride in how I use a coupon. I know I shouldn't care what others think but lately I had one after the other bad experience. I go out of my way now in town where I know my coupons are welcome and I say the heck with my local community.
    Try to find stores that you know are friendly towards couponers and stick with them even if they are a bid out of your way. Its worth felling good about your savings rather than feeling like a criminal all the time.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

For every rude cashier out there, there's also one who gets excited to see the savings! We have to take the bad with the good.

FYI... One coupon per purchase means one coupon per item purchased. Not the same as one per transaction or one per person. So with your 5 coupons, you were entitled to 5 boxes.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I used a five coupons the last time i was at safeway, and had a pretty big shopping cart ful of stuff and a guy behing me stated, "Oh she's one of those extreme couponers!" his wife said, "no she is just a normal couponer." lol

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

I use the self checkout line and then have way less issues. I break my order up to be under $10 of coupons at RCSS though so I don't have to deal with supervisor overides. Way easier not to deal with those who don't understand (or are secretly gealous that they don't have the time or patience to coupon?)
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal_meems View Post
    For every rude cashier out there, there's also one who gets excited to see the savings! We have to take the bad with the good.

FYI... One coupon per purchase means one coupon per item purchased. Not the same as one per transaction or one per person. So with your 5 coupons, you were entitled to 5 boxes.

You are so right. Whenever I get a bad cashier I ignore them. I know soon rather than later I will get a super nice cashier.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I don't pay attention to people in the line, I'm too busy watching the register so if they are giving me dirty looks I don't know about it.

I don't care too much ifthe cashiers are upset, most of them don't seem mad, just scared of getting in trouble or not happy they have to read the coupons (really I didn't think reading was so hard). On one hand I understand that the new rush of couponers is extra work for them with no extra pay.

Luckily at Walmart I've been choosing cashiers that use coupons themselves. One of them pulled a coupon out of her pocket she was going to use after her shift and had me right down the address for smart canucks for her. She called a floor supervisor to see if she could do an overage, that supervisor said no so she called another one and told me "I know if you turn in a coupon for this amount we get reimbursed, I know how coupons work" hehe she was awesome....yes I got to use my overage towards my basket.
    Last edited by frugalkitty; Wed, Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:55 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everybody... sure made me feel so much better. Gonna try my best not to let the rudies get to me anymore.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I love getting dirty looks...means I'm paying a lot less than the cashier is! Don't worry, just picture them with a silly mustache, unless they already have one...and don't have a coupon for a razor! hehehehe

Hmmmmm I'm thinking
    Trading Score
    79 (100%)

If it happens again talk to the store manager... only they know exactly how much we spend there... make sure to get names and ASK for the persons name if they dont have a tag on... it makes them uncomfortable when your taking names btw... also write them down AND while you have your pen and pad out.. note the time and ask them again "Was that..." just take them and get her out of her or out of here now??" Thats right... Quote and write... not only will it make them panic but when they see you head straite to customer service they'll get worried... when they see you talking to the store manager they'll prolly pee their pants. If your not too tired at the time you could even say to them "You know... I think your store manager would love to know how your treating your customers... why dont I just go let him know and see what he says??" OR! you could even be a REAL "B word" (parden my mouth) and hold up everyone while you wait there for the store manager to come to the til... that is if it isnt too late and he's actually there... If the supervisor and cashier are the only ones giving you hassle then call teh store manager over (have them call the SM) and tell them they can tell the SM what they said to you and DONT pay for your items until the SM is there. SOMEONE will be apologizing and they BOTH will remember just because we shop with coupons doesnt mean they can get away with treating us like crap! Or they wont have a job. Dont forget to apologize to the people behind you for the hold up because of the cashiers attitude problems... embarrass them as much as they are embarrassing you.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I am sorry you had a bad experience, maybe they had a bad day, don't let them get to you, I am sure you will also find super nice cashiers that will just make your day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information