User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Autumn7
  • 1 Post By Redneck Charger
  • 1 Post By VeeVee
  • 2 Post By momof3heathens

Thread: Yikes!! I hope nobody buys this product!!! (attention gardeners & pet lovers)

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

Name:  tumblr_mn4noaiHNX1rgjbo1o1_400.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  26.9 KB

Someone just shared this with me! This is the first I've heard of this product - I really can't understand who would approve this product on the market?

From the blog post:

"Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don’t have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
    Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s web site,

This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey’s, and they claim that “It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.”

*Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman’s Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker’s chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

**PLEASE PASS THIS ON**

http://midwestdogblog.tumblr.com/post/50960136050/please-tell-every-dog-or-cat-owner-you-know-even
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Depot, Target
    LOVE to trade

Try TreasureTrooper and receive a free $5 sign-up bonus

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for sharing!!!
    Autumn7 likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Thanks for sharing!
    Autumn7 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you so much for sharing this terible story. I will make sure that we dont by this stuff and like you said i will tell others also. Again Autumn, Thank you.......

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Read the article on Snopes to see the chances are beyond slim that anything will happen to any pet. This story has been circulating for about a decade now.

Also the products on the market now are cleaned and the any potential toxins are eliminated.
    Last edited by momof3heathens; Wed, May 29th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
    SharonMe and torontogal12 like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

In Florida tons of people have this in their yards
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I just noticed this, Autumn...thank you; I've passed it along to friends and our therapy dog group.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for sharing, i'll pass on..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you so much for sharing!

Thread Information