User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Neighbour Rant

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

So my neighbour has a leak in her kitchen from the roof a few weeks ago. She said that an inspector from Sears has been coming by three times to look at it. The guy told her that the thing covering the caplet between her roof and ours needs to be replaced. I'll try to explain what this means. Think of an upside shoe box covering the section between her roof and ours. On our side, it touches the entire shingle but on her side, some touches shingle and some does not, so there are gaps. From what DH understands, he thinks she had ice pockets from the winter and only melted a few weeks ago. She's saying that there is too much rain coming from our side and pouring to her side. Huh? I didn't know water can break the law of gravity by going up the caplet and then onto her roof, up the shingle, and then into the gap. It was pouring rain yesterday and there is no leak. DH told her to just patch the hole and it will probably cost $50. She wants to replace the whole upside down shoebox and since half of it is ours, she wants us to pay half. It'll be at least $500, so $250 for us. No, I don't think so. Ours is perfectly fine, it's her leak, her problem. Unless we agree to the work, Sears cannot do anything because we did not authorize any work and they can't touch it. I offered to pay from my stockpile, but she refused. She said that she has no income and does not have extra funds. Well, too bad, la la la, neither do us. We are not forking over $250 for something that is not our problem. When DH finished talking to her, she told him that we had too many dandelions in our yard, lol.
    This thread is currently associated with: Gap, Sears

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lmao too many dandelions........that's her big comment lol!!!

I think you are right, her leak, her problem. End of story!
    janetta, GoJays, cath007 and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

So sad that she had to find something else to complain to you over....poor defenseless dandelions. lol
    GoJays likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

DS dug out the dandelions by the root on the side of the house that she can't see she two weeks ago. After that comment, DH says he's not going to dig out the backyard, lol.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    She wants to replace the whole upside down shoebox and since half of it is ours, she wants us to pay half. It'll be at least $500, so $250 for us.

I offered to pay from my stockpile, but she refused.

She said that she has no income and does not have extra funds.
    What an interesting neighbour. Her story changes often. She has no money but doesn't want to patch. People with no money would opt for the lower cost option.
    You made a generous offer with your stockpile. She seems to want what she wants -- not compromise.
    You are in the right IMHO.
    Good luck to her.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, May 31st, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Talking about fence, one of my neighbour painted their red, the other green, another side is natural oak colour so now I see paint drips of 3 different colours on my fence. There's nothing I can do about paint drips...
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

She got her first estimate a couple of weeks ago and told DH then. He was thinking of giving her a $100 or so but haven't made a commitment. It's a small amount to improve our house.

Yesterday, the Sears inspector was there checking her roof. I was on my way out to do some shopping and she stopped me. Since I don't speak french and he doesn't speak english, she did the translation. Obviously, he's on her side because he wants the contract. I don't know home improvement, so I was dumb as a doorknob. I didn't say much, just nodded my head a few times. Told DH about it when he got home. He didn't like the fact that she confronted me like that. I told him not to give her any money and she's not getting anything from my stockpile either.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

you should get your own (free) quote to replace it and see if $500 is steep for it - and has she offered to show the bill when its all replaced (if you do decide to pay it)
    GoJays and Shwa Girl like this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tell her to get a second opinion. Sounds like sears is probably trying to get unnecessary work done.
    Shwa Girl and julesie-pie like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Talking about fence, one of my neighbour painted their red, the other green, another side is natural oak colour so now I see paint drips of 3 different colours on my fence. There's nothing I can do about paint drips...
    Sand it down with sandpaper

Couponmummy, please keep us posted on this. Would love to hear what happens. I also agree you should have her get a second opinion

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Some nice shrubs or tall growing cedars would hide the red and green fences.
    Or some peonies*
    Look out for sales at the garden center - these should be happening late June or early July, when the garden centers begin to close for the season.

*peony bushes:
    Name:  225px-Peonies.jpeg
Views: 443
Size:  19.5 KB
    i_forget likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Some nice shrubs or tall growing cedars would hide the red and green fences.
    Or some peonies*
    Look out for sales at the garden center - these should be happening late June or early July, when the garden centers begin to close for the season.

*peony bushes:
    Name:  225px-Peonies.jpeg
Views: 443
Size:  19.5 KB

Lilac bushes too....they smell so lovely
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Lilac bushes too....they smell so lovely
    You are right. I forgot about the lilacs.
    Name:  Purple-and-White-Lilac-300x225.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  29.3 KB
    i_forget likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

DH says she can still go ahead with the work, but if Sears screw up, they will be liable for damages. And she's not getting one red cent. Why pay for somthing that's perfectly fine on our side? I'd rather get free home improvement from her.
    Shwa Girl and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The builders set people up for these difficulties, eh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information