User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Canada Post shipping rates

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Canada Post has to be the biggest scam in Canada. I shipped 1 nailpolish out last week, in a teeny tiny envelope. They sent it back to me, saying that I have to pay $12!!!! to ship it. I have paid far less to ship big boxes out to B.C.
    I don't get how they are allowed to charge that much to ship stuff. They claim to have low shipping rates but honestly, I have been sent stuff from the U.S. (California for example) and it'll cost them $3 to send me a large envelope of stuff. If I sent that exact same envelope back to them, it would probably cost 10x that amount.
    CP complains that they lose money every year, but I don't understand how. They charge more to ship stuff than most countries in the world.\

This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Yes, it can be super annoying!

For the Survivor pool - I always send a small package to the winner because most times it works out to the same as just an envelope with tracking.

A few times I've went to mail something and the price was insane! Took out a few items and made it thinner and saved $8-$10. The thickness really matters!
    Bronwen likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I agree. It's a lot of money. Is there some other shipping company to send it with?
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

It's insane what they charge. It's been a long time since I mailed a package but it just cost me over 2.00 in stamps to mail one of those singing cards.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

it is because the nail polish does not fit threw the regular mail slot and thus it is considered a package

whenever I send something like this I ask CP how much it would be if it could fit threw, they tell me and I go home and put that amount on plus 1 stamp - it has ALWAYS gone to its destination
    Bronwen likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Yep, if it's over 2cm thick it has to go as a package. I stopped selling alot of things online because the rates were ridiculous for one small item. I now do lots/groups so the packages are bigger and the shipping not so bad.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I order a lot of stuff online from Amazon, NewEgg and other retailers and I have to agree. We really need faster and more efficient shipping here in Canada. I hope eventually Amazing starts making warehouses like in the US up here in Canada across the country so they could offer 1 day shipping.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Actually I send out a lot of nailpolishes (trading on facebook) and they always reach their destination. Even if it doesn't fit through the slot it can still be sent out as regular mail.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachykeen2007 View Post
    it is because the nail polish does not fit threw the regular mail slot and thus it is considered a package

whenever I send something like this I ask CP how much it would be if it could fit threw, they tell me and I go home and put that amount on plus 1 stamp - it has ALWAYS gone to its destination
    I find 3 stamps usually works Usually 2 gets it there, but because I brought it into the PO, I think the PO lady made sure it didn't go through. She was not impressed that I was trying to mail something with just stamps.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Also, I have recieved numerous bubble mailers with just stamps. I think it's up to whoever is sorting that day TBH.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

At work we tried to use CP more but found we were saving pennies per shipment and it was taking twice as long as Fed Ex.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

A while ago I traded with someone and was sending them a few pouches of the Downy Unstoppables. I took the envie to the post office and it was going to cost $16 (?!?) to send it. I took the envie, split the pouches into two envelopes and was able to send them each with a regular P stamp. Crazy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I have mailed a lot of packages with Canada Post.

If you want to keep the mailing cost down by having it be over-sized lettermail instead of a parcel, it needs to be under 2cm in thickness. Your nail polish probably was not. I have cardboard CD mailers that I use because I often ship jewelry (the handmade kind, not the diamonds and gold kind ) that fit the "CP slot of doom" as it is often referred to on etsy. That keeps my shipping cost in the range of $1.28 to about $2.50, depending on the weight.

Parcel pricing depends on the size of the box and on the weight.

Shipping from within the US is super cheap. USPS is heavily subsidized, but also losing money at an alarming rate. They are shutting down post offices and reducing service in many places because of that.

Shipping from Canada to the US is also often inexpensive compared to shipping the same parcel within Canada. That is because once the parcel clears the border, USPS takes on the expensed of moving and delivering the parcel. This results in Canada Post not having to charge so much.

The geography of Canada, with a small population spread out over a large country, requiring parcels to be transported long distances, contributes to the costs. Canada Post is a crown corporation that is on a system of complete cost recovery. That means that the user is required to pay for the full cost involve in the service being provided. It is considered to be a user fee, as it is a direct personal benefit kind of thing, not a greater good for all Canadians things. (and in case you are wondering, no, I do not work for CP, have never worked for CP, nor have any family that works/worked for CP).

Australians frequently have the same types of complaints about shipping within their own country and abroad.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

In the US they have small packet mailing charges, instead of just letters and parcels. CP could implement that kind of system here. There's no reason why they need to charge that much to ship small packages. Absolutely none. If they got rid of their upper management, and paid the "fat cats" less, they could lower their overall shipping costs. They don't need to look far to see how to save money.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Funnily enough, I drove past the CP HQ today and an older employee was standing outside with a sign saying "Fire all of our bosses" - something to that effect.
    Last edited by xox2010; Wed, Jun 5th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
    scbpooh likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information