User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Oy. So now we have three.kitties now

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Dave, you have such a big warm heart! I know, I know, you don't want people to say that, but it's true Kitties know that too, that's why they choose you. It's very sad, but a lot of people choose to put their issue onto others. Finding homes for new kitties takes a long time, especially in an area that is overrun with stray cats already. I have to agree, so many people refuse to spend the money to have their pet fixed, so consequently, it becomes everyone's problem. Here in Calgary, we have one vet in the NE area that does the spade or neutering at a reduced price for EVERYONE. Where the regular vet fee is between $175 and $300 he does it for $95 to $125 still, people refuse to do it. If you're going to get a pet, you need to realize the costs involved. Nothing makes me more angry than people who abuse or neglect animals, any type of animal. Your so kind Dave, and I wish there were more people in the world like you. The world would be a much better price. Thank you for being you!
    DaveP and i_forget like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but since we were sort of mentioning the stray/feral population problems in Cape Breton, this post makes sense.

The SPCA Cape Breton location (on East Broadway in Whitney Pier) is low on multiple supplies. They just posted on Facebook that they are greatly in need of bleach, paper towels, (liquid) laundry detergent and leashes. If anyone has anything to spare, might be a good time to donate considering us couponers can do a good job at getting items at reduced costs.

*steps off soap box*
    Natalka, DaveP and i_forget like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Good for you for providing a safe and caring home for those animals.

Sadly, the abandoned cat problem is widespread. Fourteen years ago, I was working at the Agriculture Museum here in Ottawa, which is on a big spread of farm land in the middle of the city. We had some barn cats, but a lot of people seemed to think the farm was a great place to dump their unwanted pets. Within a one month period, I brought home two cats that had been abandonned there. Each cat was only five months old.

The first one I found, I am sure he had never even been outside before. His fluffy white fur was so clean, no mats and his paws didn't even have dirt marks on them. He was terrified when I found him. Fortunately I found him before Otis, the barn tom cat did. Otis would have beatten the tar out of my fluffy one. Both of those cats were fabulous pets, friendly and sweet, really personable. Shadow, the little black female, passed away two months ago. Oreo, the fluffy while and black male is still with me. They've never been any trouble and it always boggles my mind that people could just abandon them like that.
    DaveP and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    Good for you for providing a safe and caring home for those animals.

Sadly, the abandoned cat problem is widespread. Fourteen years ago, I was working at the Agriculture Museum here in Ottawa, which is on a big spread of farm land in the middle of the city. We had some barn cats, but a lot of people seemed to think the farm was a great place to dump their unwanted pets. Within a one month period, I brought home two cats that had been abandonned there. Each cat was only five months old.

The first one I found, I am sure he had never even been outside before. His fluffy white fur was so clean, no mats and his paws didn't even have dirt marks on them. He was terrified when I found him. Fortunately I found him before Otis, the barn tom cat did. Otis would have beatten the tar out of my fluffy one. Both of those cats were fabulous pets, friendly and sweet, really personable. Shadow, the little black female, passed away two months ago. Oreo, the fluffy while and black male is still with me. They've never been any trouble and it always boggles my mind that people could just abandon them like that.

I agree... it bothers me! Each year around this time, I find all sorts of kittens that people dump near the train tracks. In fact, last night I saw 3 of them, began the process of feeding them until they like me. It just makes no sense how people can do that, it costs $100 - $200 to fix momma! Lazy!
    DaveP likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Sometimes I think badly of people, maybe I shouldn't. I've had this nagging thought for the last couple of days. In the space of six months we've had parts of two litters show up near us. Once in our backyard, the other only a few minutes walk away. The kittens were tiny, not able to fend for themselves yet. It's instinctual for cats to care for their young until they can fend for themselves. So where were the mommy cats? If they were strays, mommy cat would be taking care of the tiny ones.

Part of me thinks maybe these kittens were born to cats from people in the neighborhood who let their cats raise them to the point they could cry for help and then abandoned them in areas where kids would find them and bring them home. That would make finding homes for them someone else's problem.

People wouldn't do that, would they?

Of course they would do that and much more. I used to work for a vet you would not believe what people do. From leaving a box of kittens at the door to bringing in cats wrapped in a plastic bag for euthanasia, turtle in a margarine container, dog in a plastic pail with a lid. You name it.

Never forget the idiot family that brought their poodle in to see what was wrong with it. Of course she was in heat and inflamed, they had no clue. Vet tells them come back next week they will fix her, the people go out the door the dog, not on a leash, jumps out of their arms runs into the middle of the road and gets hit by a car.

Someone I know was recently telling me about a problem in their area whereby people from the city are dumping their pets in the country thus creating a problem out there of strays.

People suck, especially in Quebec, when it comes to pets.
    DaveP likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information