User Tag List

Page 373 of 654 FirstFirst ... 273 323 363 371 372 373 374 375 383 423 473 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 9802
Like Tree37292Likes

Thread: All Purpose Rant Away Thread - 3.2.1 GO!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding, life got in the way.

I suppose I should have said "wet dog scent", what most folks mean when referring to the smell of critters in a home.

I once had a tradesman come in to do some annual maintenance. I had warned the company that I have pets and they seemed fine with it. When the fellow came to the door, the dog barked (so he knew she was there). He was fine with her doing her nosy helpful thing (I offered to keep her away) and spent the 20 minutes he was there grousing about cats - how he could smell a home with cats a mile away. He even commented that my home didn't have the dog smell. He turned red when he was leaving and the cat came out and made his presence known.
    Hahaha! Good on the cat! I have 4 dogs and 2 cats and you CANNOT smell them. I have a very hyper nose and have been driven out of people's home by pet smell. And the same with stores and BO and bad breath. So if any smarta$$ wants to go head to head ( or should I say nose to nose) with me, good luck buddy.
    Crochetlady and toronto166 like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I think that's a load of crap. Wow butter is soy. Kids might have an allergy to soy, fine. But soy does not mimic peanuts. It's a completely different allergen. If they want to make the job easier for the adults who can't tell the difference by looking at the sandwiches, (like in this article http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/bans...ents-1.2023653) fine, but don't spread false info about how allergies work. Allergies are confusing to non-allergic people as it is. both me and my husband were both allergic kids and had to correct people over and over our entire childhoods. DH still has to avoid food at parties because of his allergy and gets stupid comments from people who don't understand. He's almost 40. I hope schools make it easier on the kids by explaining the truth
    This is what we got from the school for the past 3 years.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I think that's a load of crap. Wow butter is soy. Kids might have an allergy to soy, fine. But soy does not mimic peanuts. It's a completely different allergen. If they want to make the job easier for the adults who can't tell the difference by looking at the sandwiches, (like in this article http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/bans...ents-1.2023653) fine, but don't spread false info about how allergies work. Allergies are confusing to non-allergic people as it is. both me and my husband were both allergic kids and had to correct people over and over our entire childhoods. DH still has to avoid food at parties because of his allergy and gets stupid comments from people who don't understand. He's almost 40. I hope schools make it easier on the kids by explaining the truth
    Our boys school has banned nuts and chocolate. (ONE staff member in the elementary side has a chocolate allergy so not even the high school kids can have chocolate at school) mosy of the nut free school snacks....have. chocolate.

As an adult with a shellfish allergy I learnt to ask if it was safe or not because the onus should not always be on others. I have requested it not be brought to work...if it is I have to leave or I will die as it being heated and then in the air has a major effect on my breathing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Lyssia510 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    i to have a disappearing 64 pack years and years and years ago.One kid would borrow a crayon then they loan it to another kid and they would loan it then they would loan it etc.I landed up getting in trouble a few times for walking around the classroom trying to retrieve my crayons,Best bet is to get a regular 24 pack and use the 64 pack for home.
    we had a talk about this before i labelled them, i also told her if its any issues we can bring it home and switch it for a regular 24pk.. i did give her a warning that other kids may want to borrow her crayons and covet the "big box" crayons but i did not expect a crayon to be stolen within the first 3 days of school.. personally i think it's pretty low for a kid to steal another child's school supplies in the first week of class.. it just makes me feel sad...
    saundyl and toronto166 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i think a part of the issue is they LOOK similar... and visually one could be mistaken for the other.. and some parents might say "screw this, there's no kids with PB allergies in the class" and send PB products anyways so the school is trying to avoid that.. thankfully my daughter's school has no peanut restrictions (if there is a kid with an allergy that specific classroom has a no peanuts policy but the rest of the school is ok for peanuts)
    torontogal12 likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I know one of the local schools here was discussing ban WOW Butter because yes you can use the labels but they say there is no way to tell by looking at it and they feel that puts them at risk that exactly parents will send Nut products and figure no one will know the difference.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Budweiser have being doing a 24 pack freebie of a wireless speaker. I don't know how many boxes I've seen opened and the speaker taken..Earlier this year it was Tremblay and T-shirts..Not to mention Molson Ex and Stanley Cup rings..
    toronto166 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I know one of the local schools here was discussing ban WOW Butter because yes you can use the labels but they say there is no way to tell by looking at it and they feel that puts them at risk that exactly parents will send Nut products and figure no one will know the difference.
    I feel it's still taking things TOO far.
    I agree with no peanuts (even if the class has no child with an allergy, it's safer just in case another class does). DD LOVES peanut butter. I make her go without PB all school-year (except on breaks). She gets WOW Butter. There is such a thing as bending too far over....

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
    I feel it's still taking things TOO far.
    I agree with no peanuts (even if the class has no child with an allergy, it's safer just in case another class does). DD LOVES peanut butter. I make her go without PB all school-year (except on breaks). She gets WOW Butter. There is such a thing as bending too far over....

i've heard of some schools going to wild extremes of schools saying saying no peanuts, no tree nuts, no shellfish, no eggs, no sugar, no dairy and "no litter" (basically if you dare put your kids lunch in plastic bags they will send the plastic bags back home in the lunch bag) i've even heard of a school (though private) ban gluten and highly discourage juice boxes

i do understand the need for some schools to be strict on peanuts especially in the younger grades (K-5) as some people are super sensitive and just the smell and touching the oils can set the allergy off to extremes but things like eggs and dairy? people who are allergic to these things can still be in the room with them without worry of swelling up and going into shock...we do have to protect kids ofcourse but to start banning replacement options and all allergens i think goes a little far

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I agree that I think some schools are taking it too far. I do not have kids but work with women who do and in one case her child's school was doing No Junk Food and everyday the teacher when through the child's lunch and evaluated it and gave me a grade on their lunch. She sent her child with a granola bar which has chocolate chips in it, the teach took the granola bar would not allow her child to eat and sent it home that night with a note saying that this was not lunch appropriate due to chocolate chips and had a list of which granola bar are acceptable.

Another girl her child's classroom wanted to ban dairy as one child was lactose intolerant. This school has a no share policy and if anyone if caught sharing they are suspended for 2 days and they enforce it. I get the peanut thing as it is smell but really to tell 22 kids in a class they cannot bring dairy is I think going overboard.

I am 31, I went to school with kids who had food allergies they were taught by their parents not to eat items from other kid's lunch and to only eat what their parents packed them to be safe. Shocking I can confirm without all of these rules and regulations in school they made it through their school years safely. I think schools are taking it too far, yes again the peanut thing I get it is a smell thing, but how do you tell kids, especially small kids no dairy, no gluten, and the list goes on and on. I think most people know how hard it is to pack a school lunch kids will eat (I had a cousin I used to watch who did not eat sandwiches or most foods you can pack) and to eliminate all these food groups.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Looking at Ebay and 'accidentally' coming across Physician Formula peelie [?] coupons...Must resist but cannot!
    toronto166 and beachdown like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post

I am 31, I went to school with kids who had food allergies they were taught by their parents not to eat items from other kid's lunch and to only eat what their parents packed them to be safe. Shocking I can confirm without all of these rules and regulations in school they made it through their school years safely. I think schools are taking it too far, yes again the peanut thing I get it is a smell thing, but how do you tell kids, especially small kids no dairy, no gluten, and the list goes on and on. I think most people know how hard it is to pack a school lunch kids will eat (I had a cousin I used to watch who did not eat sandwiches or most foods you can pack) and to eliminate all these food groups.
    i think the big difference between now and 20+ years ago is more kids have allergies... in my whole middle school (K-7) lifetime i think i only met 1 kid with a peanut allergy and the school only adjusted that 1 classroom (heck i don't even think it was a "peanuts banned" classroom just a no share no touch) now i know atleast half a dozen. I never knew a kid with a gluten allergy (i don't think there was such a thing back in the 80's) or an allergy to eggs/yeast/shellfish/food dyes ect... growing up they just simply weren't out there like they are today

you also didn't have parents making an issue about kids drinking kool aid or eating fruit roll-ups you were the lucky kid if you had a fruit roll up or a fruit by the foot... now parents scoff and say "you feed your kid that?!?!" i remember back when a "prime" birthday party was a McD's party (the party every kid wanted!) now if you throw a party at McD's you might be lucky if a quarter of the kids are allowed "to eat that junk"
    Lyssia510, toronto166 and vw_girl like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i think the big difference between now and 20+ years ago is more kids have allergies... in my whole middle school (K-7) lifetime i think i only met 1 kid with a peanut allergy and the school only adjusted that 1 classroom (heck i don't even think it was a "peanuts banned" classroom just a no share no touch) now i know atleast half a dozen. I never knew a kid with a gluten allergy (i don't think there was such a thing back in the 80's) or an allergy to eggs/yeast/shellfish/food dyes ect... growing up they just simply weren't out there like they are today
    I grew up in the late 60s/early 70's..and there were lots of kids who were sick after eating...we just didn't have the technology to diagnose or the will to care about such things..I know a girl who was forced to drink her 1/3 pint of milk every school day and she was lucky if she only vomited it back up ..and that was 1971..

you also didn't have parents making an issue about kids drinking kool aid or eating fruit roll-ups you were the lucky kid if you had a fruit roll up or a fruit by the foot... now parents scoff and say "you feed your kid that?!?!" i remember back when a "prime" birthday party was a McD's party (the party every kid wanted!) now if you throw a party at McD's you might be lucky if a quarter of the kids are allowed "to eat that junk"
    As long as I'm doing the majority of catering for the brood..then the odd McD's or equivalent is fine..It's a case of moderation in all things...except Loki...
    thriftygranny and toronto166 like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I grew up in the late 60s/early 70's..and there were lots of kids who were sick after eating...we just didn't have the technology to diagnose or the will to care about such things..I know a girl who was forced to drink her 1/3 pint of milk every school day and she was lucky if she only vomited it back up ..and that was 1971..
    i do agree they were out there but the amount out there now compared to then i do think has changed significantly i think it also goes along with the idea of needing to label or give a diagnosis for everything.. and i do think things have changed.. though ofcourse you can't pin point what those changes are

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    As long as I'm doing the majority of catering for the brood..then the odd McD's or equivalent is fine..It's a case of moderation in all things...except Loki...
    i personally have nothing against McD's (or fast food in general) it's one of those things that are meant to be a treat on occasion it's not a every day thing but i do know parents who would never allow their children to touch those things... i also known parents who say i'm killing my child unless i'm feeding her 100% organic foods.. it makes me have to think twice about everything like planning on bringing a treat to school to share, or a birthday party for my kid (do i dare put a candy something in the goodie bags? or how about plastic water bottle favors for a gymnastics party.. though birthday parties is a whole nother rant lol)
    toronto166 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i've heard of some schools going to wild extremes of schools saying saying no peanuts, no tree nuts, no shellfish, no eggs, no sugar, no dairy and "no litter" (basically if you dare put your kids lunch in plastic bags they will send the plastic bags back home in the lunch bag) i've even heard of a school (though private) ban gluten and highly discourage juice boxes

i do understand the need for some schools to be strict on peanuts especially in the younger grades (K-5) as some people are super sensitive and just the smell and touching the oils can set the allergy off to extremes but things like eggs and dairy? people who are allergic to these things can still be in the room with them without worry of swelling up and going into shock...we do have to protect kids ofcourse but to start banning replacement options and all allergens i think goes a little far
    I think at some point people need to teach their kids to take responsibility for themselves. I agree in elementry school(jk-6 or 8, whatever the school goes up to) to banned peanuts, because a 4-7 year old probably doesn't get the serverity of having a nut allergy. By 12 and up the child can understand enough to not to eat peanut products, ask what's in something before they eat it and make choices accordingly(obviously depending on the serverity of the allergy and if it's airborn some schools may need to be more strict than others on the nut policy).
    I have gotten letters from teachers in the past banning things like food with red or pink dye because someone is allergic and might feel left out if they see other kids eating it. Are you kidding me? That's life sometimes.
    My oldest developed a milk allergy at 10, can't have ice cream, desserts made with cream, icing on most cakes, cheese etc. She knows what will make her sick and what won't, I wouldn't dream of asking her class/school to ban these things just because she can't have them.
    SassyAshley and toronto166 like this.

Thread Information