User Tag List

Page 381 of 654 FirstFirst ... 281 331 371 379 380 381 382 383 391 431 481 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,715 of 9801
Like Tree37290Likes

Thread: All Purpose Rant Away Thread - 3.2.1 GO!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    ^ Someone should remind the MIL that "smoking kills". Personally, I'll never date, kiss or live with a smoker, drug user or a heavy drinker. I add them to the same class as cat and dog owners
    Cool...I now have some new hobbies to take up...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

the nightly homework battle has begun!... math.. no problem she likes her math, reading..at the moment no issue.. but spelling oh my gosh meltdown city... just going over the words is a battle and a half... tears tantrums and tiaras oh my!
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

{{Hugs}} Midnightly..
    toronto166 and dededi like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    the nightly homework battle has begun!... math.. no problem she likes her math, reading..at the moment no issue.. but spelling oh my gosh meltdown city... just going over the words is a battle and a half... tears tantrums and tiaras oh my!
    I remember doing this with my youngest two, until my son's grade four teacher gave me some great advice.
    He said no homework was worth tears, stress and fighting.He said go over the words once and don't make a big deal about it. He said the worst that could happen is he would bomb a test or two, once we took the pressure off it improved.Good luck!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I remember doing this with my youngest two, until my son's grade four teacher gave me some great advice.
    He said no homework was worth tears, stress and fighting.He said go over the words once and don't make a big deal about it. He said the worst that could happen is he would bomb a test or two, once we took the pressure off it improved.Good luck!

the trouble is she's happy when she starts and it's easy but the moment a word gets hard she plays the avoidance techniques... i call her my little butterfly because she a super happy bubbily child that bounces from one thing to another and all over the place "look at this look at that" and asking all sorts of random things to avoid spelling the word or doing something she finds hard and focusing (though if it's something that interests her she can happily sit there and focus for an hour without an issue.. heck she spent a good chunk of an afternoon sewing a jacket for her teddy bear with a needle and thread)

i've tried making it fun (though we're only in week 2 of spelling tests) i've taken her spelling words and make word searches out of them, write it down, spell it in a silly way in a grumpy way in a happy way...i just can't let these battles keep happening but i can't let her just ignore it and put in no effort
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

It can be tough midnightly, maybe she has a bit of anxiety about test day. I know my son dreaded spelling tests because they always did the pass back to the person behind to mark. It was probably his weakest subject and he felt embarrassed when a classmate marked his paper and he didn't do well.
    lecale, toronto166 and dededi like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 01:16 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Damn iPhone has froze up. Can't shut it off and it won't answer any calls. I guess I will just have to let the battery run down. And just when I wanted to post a pic of me kissing my mastiff right on the lips.
    Just call me Wolfie

I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

three fillings this a.m., and went to pick up the Freebie Friday kit @ IGA and drooling at the till ~ so pretty.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I think reading is absolutely key to learning how to spell. You need the whole deal: the word, in context, other similar words, the ability to visualize the word in a phrase.

I had the kind of family where everyone would fall silent in the room, immersed in a book or a magazine or the paper. I learned to settle down with a book because that's what everybody did. I was always a strong speller as a result.
    I agree completely, I was raised in a reading home, I would look forward to library day at school and devour books.My husband was not raised in a reading home and couldn't spell to save his life.However he has improved greatly with age and it is now important to him but he still makes a lot of mistakes, can this be hereditary??? I have two kids that read and spell well and two that struggled and still struggle.
    GoJays, seylz_gurl, lecale and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    Damn iPhone has froze up. Can't shut it off and it won't answer any calls. I guess I will just have to let the battery run down. And just when I wanted to post a pic of me kissing my mastiff right on the lips.
    Hee Hee Heee about the mastiff, so sorry about your phone.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Fri, Sep 25th, 2015 at 12:51 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 01:16 PM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Key: Get kids reading the dictionary daily learning new world, and then play the game of scrabble with them. No good being good in Maths and Science, but can't articulate your theories into words.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  53.6 KB Who wouldn't want to kiss those lips? Just look at that face!!!!

Now my electric tea kettle broke
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I agree completely, I was raised in a reading home, I would look forward to library day at school and devour books.My husband was not raised in a reading home and couldn't spell to save his life.However he has improved greatly with age and it is now important to him but he still makes a lot of mistakes, can this be hereditary??? I have two kids that read and spell well and two that struggled and still struggle.
    I was and still am an avid reader. 8 or so books a week depending on length. But my spelling is crap since I get lazy and depend on spellcheckers too much.

I still think both their and thier look wrong when I type them.

Thread Information