User Tag List

Page 520 of 654 FirstFirst ... 20 420 470 510 518 519 520 521 522 530 570 620 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 9802
Like Tree37292Likes

Thread: All Purpose Rant Away Thread - 3.2.1 GO!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    If anyone remembers I complained last year about a friend who is having her baby shower with alcohol provided.
    Kids 1st birthday is coming up ... checking to see if it's going to have a keg posted up.

Honest to God, am I the only one who thinks it's tacky? I`m far from a sober saint but never in all of DDs 5 birthday parties that I`ve put together, have I offered alcohol or had people asking for it
    I remember @Candini and I do not think alcohol is necessary or is it responsible to be serving it at either a baby shower or a kids party, but that is just me. We were basically an alcohol free home from the first child until hmmm, maybe when my 3rd was about 7 or more, THEN we allowed drinking here. Just horrible bad childhood memories for both DH and myself growing up that made us non drinkers for many years.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    A man tried to board the bus with his wheelchair yesterday. All the people in the priority seating looked at each other and some even asked if they should get up. Young, able bodied people, exchanging glances and all asking if they should move out of the priority seating for the man and his wheelchair. Is that a serious question? YES,...GET...UP!! Are you in the pictogram of the person in a wheelchair, person with a cane, or the one with a cast? If not, GET UP for the man in pictogram #1.

In the end, no one got up and the man in a wheelchair was content to have his wheelchair turned so he could exit from the front. Pregnancy makes me crankier and crankier. What is this society coming to?

I called the transit company to comment that drivers never seem to assist with reminding people of who can use the priority seating and he told me that women who were nine months pregnant were not considered priority. My workplace considers it "a short term disability" and my doctor called me "higher priority than the critically ill" (for the flu shot). I think I should get a spot.
    I am really surprised that no one said anything on the bus. I would have said out loud "someone should make room for the man in the wheelchair". But then again I get really vocal when I see disabled people treated badly or anyone for that fact. The next time you are on the bus say that you are feeling really dizzy and ask if someone could give up their seat for you. It worked for me and I am not even pregnant - btw I was truly feeling dizzy that day.
    Last edited by barbis9; Thu, Oct 27th, 2016 at 05:52 PM.
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The saga with my car battery continues. I found the receipt and went back to the garage where it was purchased and I am told to see the owner. The owner proceeds to tell me that the exchanged battery is not under warranty. I said my mechanic said that the replacement battery should come with a new warranty. He than says there is something wrong with my car. I replied that there was nothing wrong with my car, that the battery is defective. He than says he will call the distributor and see if they will honor the warranty and for me to come back Friday. So waiting to see what kind of bull-sh*t excuse he will have tomorrow. I am fully prepared to complain to the ministry of consumer affairs as this is a scam.

I suspect this is because I am a female and the owner is hoping I will go away as I stopped giving him business 4 years ago.
    Last edited by barbis9; Thu, Oct 27th, 2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I remember @Candini and I do not think alcohol is necessary or is it responsible to be serving it at either a baby shower or a kids party, but that is just me. We were basically an alcohol free home from the first child until hmmm, maybe when my 3rd was about 7 or more, THEN we allowed drinking here. Just horrible bad childhood memories for both DH and myself growing up that made us non drinkers for many years.

10000%
    Absolutely!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    If anyone remembers I complained last year about a friend who is having her baby shower with alcohol provided.
    Kids 1st birthday is coming up ... checking to see if it's going to have a keg posted up.

Honest to God, am I the only one who thinks it's tacky? I`m far from a sober saint but never in all of DDs 5 birthday parties that I`ve put together, have I offered alcohol or had people asking for it
    This is my biggest pet peeve ever. Alcohol has no place at a child's party, unless the child is 19 and can legally drink.

At Dd's first birthday party out of the the 28 adults that came 22 brought either 12 packs of beer or huge bottles of alcohol.
    Her third birthday I asked people not to bring alcohol and that there was beer here if people absolutely could not go three hours to celebrate a child's birthday without drinking. We went through two 24's and all I heard was "You didn't say not to bring alcohol to her first birthday". Nope, because I figured adults would have enough class, common sense and ettiquette NOT to turn a one year olds birthday into an open bar.
    This year dh's stepdad brought a huge bottle of rum and kept handing people drinks leaving them in easy reach of the kids.
    If you're that alcohol dependant and can't handle a 2-3 hour birthday party without a drink maybe you need rehab.
    I cannot wait until next year when dd will be able to invite her school friends to her party and we have it somewhere kid appropriate that doesn't allow alcohol.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Legal drinking age varies though. In Qc it's 18.

In UK, it's 18. But if you are older than 14 and at a bar or restaurant with an adult and the minor can drink beer or wine with a meal.

In the USA it's 21. Though again if you are eating(in some states) then an adult can okay a minor to have alcohol with their their food.

Personally, I would not have allowed booze at one of the brood's parties. And so far none of them show any interest in alcohol, even though it is available in our nest.
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

OMG how horrible! Make sure to insist on time off for the Rabies shot. If you get rabies you will die and it is supposedly a very painful death. Hugs hon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    I can't find the dog or the owner of the dog that bit me last week(they live in my neighbourhood) and if I don't find them by tomorrow and report them to public health so the dog can be monitored I have to get the rabbies shot.
    My new job doesn't have the schedule for next week yet so I don't even know when I can go to get these shots, just started on Monday so it's not like I can be asking for time off already.
    Damn dog bit through my only pair of jeans that fit and I can't find another pair that fits as good as they did.
    I have a crazy amount of pain in my left side under my ribs, I can't walk, talk, cough, eat, breathe, sit or sleep without being in pain and have no time to see the doctor until Friday.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

God, if I could count all the times I've seen seniors, pregnant women standing. My coworker is pregnant and shifts her hours so she can get a seat. My brother is on crutches right now and had to change his work hours because no one on the subway would give up their seat for him, and he can't be jerked around (literally) when it brakes or it will shred his leg

I am still hobbling due to my own crutch-worthy injury and nobody gives up their seat for me, except my mom, who is a senior and has her own arthritis foot problems. All of this while the 25 year old, able-bodied men sit in the designated seats listening to music and avoiding eye contact, or pretending to sleep so they can still sit

A man tried to board the bus with his wheelchair yesterday. All the people in the priority seating looked at each other and some even asked if they should get up. Young, able bodied people, exchanging glances and all asking if they should move out of the priority seating for the man and his wheelchair. Is that a serious question? YES,...GET...UP!! Are you in the pictogram of the person in a wheelchair, person with a cane, or the one with a cast? If not, GET UP for the man in pictogram #1.

In the end, no one got up and the man in a wheelchair was content to have his wheelchair turned so he could exit from the front. Pregnancy makes me crankier and crankier. What is this society coming to?

I called the transit company to comment that drivers never seem to assist with reminding people of who can use the priority seating and he told me that women who were nine months pregnant were not considered priority. My workplace considers it "a short term disability" and my doctor called me "higher priority than the critically ill" (for the flu shot). I think I should get a spot.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    God, if I could count all the times I've seen seniors, pregnant women standing. My coworker is pregnant and shifts her hours so she can get a seat. My brother is on crutches right now and had to change his work hours because no one on the subway would give up their seat for him, and he can't be jerked around (literally) when it brakes or it will shred his leg

I am still hobbling due to my own crutch-worthy injury and nobody gives up their seat for me, except my mom, who is a senior and has her own arthritis foot problems. All of this while the 25 year old, able-bodied men sit in the designated seats listening to music and avoiding eye contact, or pretending to sleep so they can still sit
    @torontogal12 : That is just sad that it's happening on the TTC as well. I've had good experiences on the buses, but perhaps the subways are less monitored. I didn't get a seat on the bus either last night and I thought it was because I put on my winter jacket that people might just think I'm larger. I asked DH while wearing my winter coat and he said I was still looked definitely pregnant, just wearing a coat. Now at 8.5 months pregnant and people still will not give up their seat.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@torontogal12: That is just sad that it's happening on the TTC as well. I've had good experiences on the buses, but perhaps the subways are less monitored. I didn't get a seat on the bus either last night and I thought it was because I put on my winter jacket that people might just think I'm larger. I asked DH while wearing my winter coat and he said I was still looked definitely pregnant, just wearing a coat. Now at 8.5 months pregnant and people still will not give up their seat.
    I was with my friend in the disabled car on the GO train and I was surprised at the number of able bodied people that took the seats. When I mentioned it to the GO train security - they made an announcement and some of the people moved. I was glad as she has a walker. There was a fellow on crutches who said it was a nightmare to commute.
    Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    >>

that is just sad and pathetic on so many levels. some people are just drunks and need their fix. the red flag is when it is supposed to be a "kids" party and starts a 6pm. i just avoid those all together.

cheers

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

So many posts here about people being not nice to the disabled. Let me tell you about a couple of things I noticed when I was in a wheelchair for a couple of days after an injury:

- Had to wait forever for the elevator (45 minutes one time) because able bodied people kept filling them up and there was not enough space for my wheelchair. Then when I got to ground floor I got YELLED at for being late. Then when I explained the reason why, I got yelled at for not caring about keeping everyone waiting...

- One woman expected me to climb over her so I could get to the empty seat next to her (she was blocking an entire empty row of seats). After I tried climbing over her and it was obvious I could not, I asked her if she would mind moving over one seat instead so I could take the end seat. She actually made a scene because I dared to ask, said a nasty comment to me

- When I hurt myself, there was no one around except one dude who saw me fall and just stared at me (even though he saw that my husband had gone ahead maybe 50 metres away and I was calling for him, this guy did nothing to call my husband or help me up). Then this dude's wife came out of the doorway and literally KICKED ME out of her way while I was still down and said not a word.

While I was in the wheelchair, I met a guy who has had a walker for 4 years. He said he encounters the same crap a lot. This is a friendly reminder that you may save 5 seconds by pushing someone out of the way, but your rudeness could cost someone hours of pain from too much standing, or hitting them in the injured body part. There is no shame in asking for help or asking for a seat. There's something wrong with people who will shame you. It costs people nothing to be nice and if more people tried it sometimes, maybe there would be a lot less nasty people in the world

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

My bloody dryer is on the fritzs again. Grrrrrrrr! And my poor dog has a massive facial folds infection. Looks and smells like rotten meat ( minus the maggots) although I wouldn't be surprised to see any. So after paying $400.00 for antibodies, I have to take him home, wash and dry his face twice daily and give home 8 pills a day. Once it is all cleared up I have 2 options, shave his face bald ( but then the hair grows back and is itchy) or have facial reconstructive surgery to pull all the facial folds back permenately.
    life has been trying to beat us into an early grave, sometimes I think it may win.
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

No consolation on the transit seat situation here in Hamilton-I've seen an HSR brochure this year that states that drivers will not get involved in seating matters. The only practical intervention might be on the buses where the 3-person seat has to be raised (driver basically tells people to move) so the driver can board a passenger in a wheelchair through the back door.

Sometimes there are very vocal passengers that will loudly comment about someone needing a seat that causes a small wave of discomfort and yields a seat.

About passengers putting their bags or knapsacks on the empty seat next to them-sometimes it is worthwhile to ask for the seat and get a grudging movement of gear in reply. Other times, best to find a handhold and hope the trip is a short one.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Oct 28th, 2016 at 11:13 PM.
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Goes to work stressed out (about work). Leaves work stressed out. (also about work)

Thread Information