• 1 Post By nainai0585
  • 1 Post By Snow In Summer
  • 1 Post By oscarandme
  • 1 Post By uanoor

Thread: More of an FYI vs rant

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went to the Chatham, ON WalMart and was price matching pasta. I had 10 boxes of macaroni (no, I did not clear the shelf). The cashier verified if they were all the same kind of pasta and proceeds to tell me that there is a 6 item limit when price matching. I was totally taken by surprise as I had never ever heard anyone mention anything of the sort of all the years I've been price matching at this WalMart. I wondered if this was a new policy; I was told "no"; I mentioned to the cashier I had never been advised of this. Just at that moment a CSM walks by and the cashier calls out to her confirming the 6 item limit when price matching. I again asked if this was a new policy commenting that I had never been advised of this policy. I offered to just go put back 4 of the boxes and take another kind of pasta. The CSM hadn't really stopped walking but just slowed down; she heard me and called back to the cashier to ring in my order but that they'd do it only this time.

I have read on other members' thread comments about limits being imposed and I can understand where the store is coming from in setting limits...I was just so totally taken by surprise though as I had never heard of this policy at this particular WM. Over the years I've dealt with just about all the cashiers there and, at some point or another, likely, with most of the CSM. It is not the first time that I exceeded the 6 item limit while price matching but certainly the first time I was being made aware this policy existed.

So for those SC members shopping at the Chatham WalMart be aware that if you have more than 6 of the same item you are price matching the cashier may tell you you can't do that.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

lol if it's a new policy, why not just ADMIT IT.

Otherwise they're basically just saying ALL their cashiers are untrained and don't know their own policies. Derp!
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well it appears there policy is also to make sure you get what you want, thus I would proceed as you always have, avoid taht cashier, and if you run into an issue, I am sure they will let it slide 'Just this time'.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

frugal gal, I agree with you. They did not post their new limit policy at the front door, on the shelf, in the flyer or at the cash. It is wrong to surprise a customer at the cash register.

This has happened to me at No Frills Townline too. I don't go there any more because of this. At NF, they said that the manager told them to make a limit. I asked to speak with the manager and was told he was not in. I asked who was in charge and was told he was on lunch break.

I emailed No Frills telling them I did not like learning about a policy change from the cashier and it was not posted anywhere.

Maybe you should e-mail Walmart to let them know how you were treated.
    oscarandme likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to be clear: whether new policy or old one never mentioned/enforced by any staff (cashier, customer service manager, manager) I see the point of it = If there is a super sale (regardless if their price or one price matched), they simply want to avoid shelf clearing by one individual.

Shwa Girl, thanks for the input. The cashier wasn't rude and I can't say that the CSM was either. The cashier was an 'older' employee, she may have been a newer employee there (?), and
    she was just doing her job and following policies. Just so happens I was not aware of this particular policy and when the CSM said there had always been a limit on an item you price matched I just found it interesting. By the way, I didn't ask to talk to the CSM, she just happen to walk by at that moment and the cashier took the opportunity to have the CSM confirm the policy. In this particular situation, I don't feel there is a need to contact WalMart but will keep that in mind if I ever feel like I was treated unnecessarily rudely.
    luckbealady and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

One of the walmarts near me is funny.. We can use 6 like coupons.. I'm fine with that.. however, you can price match unlimited.. how weird is that..
    Snow In Summer and oscarandme like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    frugal gal, I agree with you. They did not post their new limit policy at the front door, on the shelf, in the flyer or at the cash. It is wrong to surprise a customer at the cash register.

This has happened to me at No Frills Townline too. I don't go there any more because of this. At NF, they said that the manager told them to make a limit. I asked to speak with the manager and was told he was not in. I asked who was in charge and was told he was on lunch break.

I emailed No Frills telling them I did not like learning about a policy change from the cashier and it was not posted anywhere.

Maybe you should e-mail Walmart to let them know how you were treated.
    At a store like Walmart there will always be a manager on duty.
    oscarandme likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

don't forget that in Walmarts policy, it states that they may change their coupon and/or price matching policy at any time without notice. Stinks, but they have given themselves the right to make up the rules. I think though, that this would only apply to the mangers, not the cashiers, so if you ever feel there is an issue not resolved by the cashier or customer service, then ask to speak to a manger.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

wow, this is news to me!! I just went shopping at our Chatham Walmart yesterday and PM the Barilla from No Frills (only picked up 4 thougH). 2 weeks ago I PM the Glade home decor sents from Giant Tiger (with the b1g1 coupon) and had 8 all together and not a single word from the older female cashier.
    I'm really surprised though of this new "policy" as I've never been stopped or told I couldn't purchase x amount of a product - though I'll assume your well aware that our Walmart likes to hide products in the back when there is an amazing deal on at one of the other stores. The plus side though, from Walmart to No Frills is only a 15-20 minute drive so its not too bad to jump over to another store and pick up the item(s) you want.
    oscarandme likes this.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

My Walmart told me the last time I got a rain cheque (a month ago for toothbrushes) that rain cheques are now ONLY valid now for 60 days from the date of issuing it. This is also a new policy (so they told me) and they actually hand write it on the top of the rain cheques at this particular location. Has anyone else been told this also? Inquiry minds wanna know ... lol
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I have never been imposed limits but they are tightening up on the coupons and making changes. Sorry that happened to you. Situations like that just snap you back like a stretched elastic where you go, what the heck just happened here. RCSS seems to be winning the battle now as opposed to WM used to. We'll see.
    Snow In Summer likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Same thing told to me at Wlmart (Steels and Markham Rd) 60 days for a rain check it was about 3 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow In Summer View Post
    My Walmart told me the last time I got a rain cheque (a month ago for toothbrushes) that rain cheques are now ONLY valid now for 60 days from the date of issuing it. This is also a new policy (so they told me) and they actually hand write it on the top of the rain cheques at this particular location. Has anyone else been told this also? Inquiry minds wanna know ... lol
    Snow In Summer likes this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

So are they honouring the rain cheques issued before this new policy went into effect or are they now null and void??? Some don't have a year on them, just a month and date on them so maybe I can wait until next year to use them again. Haha! Ps. My location was the Trainyards in Ottawa.
    Last edited by Snow In Summer; Mon, Jun 17th, 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added my location to help others

Thread Information