User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: A little early to be teaching "that" isnt it??

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    I believe kids should be taught what sex is not for recreation but for procreation. I
    Personally, I find that attitude rather ...icky..mainly because it infers that once women reach that certain age, they should hang-up the sexy hat and dwindle into asexual obscurity. I like having intercourse with Mr P and I'm not stopping simply because this one activity had been elevated to a higher plane than say eating or exercising which can be as pleasurable as well as being helpful to a healthy mind/body for the majority of people.

f my 9 year old kid asks me how a baby is made I'm gonna tell them. If my 3 year old asks where the baby comes out of my body, I'm gonna be honest. Otherwise kids are just gonna be confused and uneducated about themselves.
    Honesty is the way to go as long as you use words they understand. A 3 yo doesn't need to know about crowning and such neither does a 9 yr but a 15 yo should know that sort of thing. Male and female..

My 11 yo Penguinette 2, along with her sibs, has been given age apprioate answers but when they did sex ed at school a few weeks ago, she was slightly discusted that we had "done that thing 3 times...oh wait 5 since you had 2 m/cs"

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I don't think 9 is too young at all, girls are developing earlier and earlier and they need to know this stuff. I'm also all for boys and girls being in the same class while this is taught, they're going to learn about what happens to each other anyway, why not in the same room at the same time? I've already had this talk with my daughter who's 10 because she's starting to develop, but I wouldn't have an issue with the school doing what you just described.
    However I would be mad that the school informed you what would happen and then did something different. You gave your daughter permission for one thing and something different that you weren't comfortable with happened instead and I think that should be addressed.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I think what upsets me most about it all was believing they were in a divided class learning about their own bodies rather than the other gender. We've talked with her about her own body but I think finding about the other gender would be more appropriate when she's a little older. She was clear with the teachers explanation. She even went on to say how the class giggled when the teacher was saying they were going to start feeling "sexy". It's one thing to know the birds and bees, but there is no reason that I can think of that a little 9 year old needs to know about "wet dreams"
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
    ohh and it grates on my nerves to no end when i hear parents calling their private parts, their wee wee or tinkler. we don't teach them their nose is a sniffer or their fingers are ,idk insert some cutesy name here, so why are we teaching them that certain body parts are not to be addressed as their proper name. like it's shameful to have
    you and me both..

I read a story last year about a woman wanting her local theatre to change the name of The Vagina Monologues to The Ho-Haw Monologues simply so she didn't have to explain the word to her daughter.
    ottawa and i_forget like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    I think what upsets me most about it all was believing they were in a divided class learning about their own bodies rather than the other gender. We've talked with her about her own body but I think finding about the other gender would be more appropriate when she's a little older. She was clear with the teachers explanation. She even went on to say how the class giggled when the teacher was saying they were going to start feeling "sexy". It's one thing to know the birds and bees, but there is no reason that I can think of that a little 9 year old needs to know about "wet dreams"
    Personally, I find it a little ridiculous to tell a group of 9-year-olds that they are going to start feeling sexy soon. (Especially given that 'soon' in a child's mind is a very short time-span.) I believe in answering kids questions honestly and giving them age-appropriate information. Sometimes I think adults give children more information than they want or can process. Kids starting to feel "sexy" at 9 or 10....that's a stretch.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:36 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

hahahahaha really? that poor child.
    guess i went on a rant there. it just REALLY gets under my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    you and me both..

I read a story last year about a woman wanting her local theatre to change the name of The Vagina Monologues to The Ho-Haw Monologues simply so she didn't have to explain the word to her daughter.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    We had sex ed in grades 7 and 8. My mother said nothing at all on the topic...with all the farm animals around if I couldn't figure it out for myself...well let's just say there were a few years there that I thought all sex was doggie style. Boy was I surprised to learn, ahem, anyway...

The danger in this day and age is kids turn to the internet to fill in the blanks. What do you get when you Google 'sex'? I assure you, you will end up far more misguided than a farmgirl if you confuse internet with 'sex'.

"Gee..that's a funny way to play leap-frog..I didn't know sheep played leap-frog too..."

and that was from a 20 yo undergrad doing her 6 months practicle study part of her chemistry degree where I was working.. We used sheep as lawn-mowers on several of our sites..The farmers got cheap fodder..we got stupid students..
    ottawa and oscarandme like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think the issue here is that the school said they were doing one thing, got the parents to sign a consent form and then did something completely different.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    I think the issue here is that the school said they were doing one thing, got the parents to sign a consent form and then did something completely different.
    Your absolutely right. Had I been mentally prepared for my "baby" to come home talking about the things she did I may have taken it better.... Although even with consent there were a few topics I think may have been still a bit much for my liking. The anatomy and puberty things I'm fine with, we had talked aboit that before anyway... But it's the "I'm going to start feeling sexy soon" and the male specific things that really have no purpose that I found upsetting. I'm ok with her learning about make bodies andale puberty even ( despite that not being what we were told ) but some of the male things were unnecessary. I mean really, aside from being a mother now and knowing as a parent.... A girl really has no purpose what so ever to know what happens when a boy gets excited in his sleep.
    LIVE SIMPLE and oscarandme like this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    A girl really has no purpose what so ever to know what happens when a boy gets excited in his sleep.
    Why??

I have 2 Penguinettes and lilpenguin..He knows that they have periods and stuff, mainly due to the fact of thier ages..I've told them that women may have dreams in which they orgasm.. Knowing that why should they expect thier younger brother is vastly different and not sexual in anyway??
    ottawa, xox2010, RSAS and 2 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

Jenny, I totally understand your concerns. My older DD also in grade 4, 10 yrs old, just went through the same health class. When the permission form came home, hubby and I had some hesitation about if it is too early. But I had my period when I was 10 (my mom just handed me a pad and told me to stick it on, that concluded my "sex" education from parents), and with nowadays society (heard on news, a 14 years old died from Yaz birth control pills, not sure how she gets her hands on the prescription), it's better to be early and informed than late and naive. The only thing is they didn't say boys and girls will be in separate classes and I am ok with that. Personally, I think it's all right to learn about the body changes of the other gender since she will be having sex or curious about her opposite kind. (or same kind, not that there is anything wrong with that) It's good to know the other 'end' rather than having surprises and guessing. She did come home and ask her dad about wet dreams. And she & I had a brief Q&A session privately but other than that, she didn't say too much about it. Honestly, I would rather she talks to us about it more, no matter how vivid, I rather hear it now and make sure she has the right concept and attitude about it than having her friends giving her wrong impression later.

The only thing I don't like was when i volunteered in school, the other class was showing the slides/videos (a boy's penis sideway with medical terms) and the screen door separatng the two classes was half opened. The boys in our class were giggling and tell each other to take a peek, "look, look, they are showing..." and they were laughing. The boys weren't supposed to see that way. If they were to view it, they have to really sit down and listen to what the instructor has to say about the picture under a positive light.
    Last edited by Mission; Tue, Jun 18th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Why??

I have 2 Penguinettes and lilpenguin..He knows that they have periods and stuff, mainly due to the fact of thier ages..I've told them that women may have dreams in which they orgasm.. Knowing that why should they expect thier younger brother is vastly different and not sexual in anyway??
    I feel it's unnecessary. I also wouldnt think its necessary for a boy to know girls have orgasms in their sleep...actually, I've never even heard of that, all this time I've been depending on a man for my orgasm's like a fool lol.

But in seriousness, kids grow up to fast as it is, theres no reason to push them faster. Some things are better learned in life as opposed to being told. Shes a child, shes not an adolescent. Shes 9, shes not even in a double digit yet. Some things are ok to know at her age, other things she should learn in the coming years. Its a lot to spring on a child.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I think that parents should ALWAYS be told when there is a change of plans. You gave your concent for WHAT? totally not what you thought, obviously. I'd be pissed

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:21 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information