Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Nelson Mandela passes away Dec. 5

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

May your soul rest in peace, Madiba...

He was a man who was all that is good - a world will mourn his passing, as well as celebrate his life.

The Soweto Gospel choir will be performing at his funeral.

"Shosholoza" was originally sung by African men who were forced to labor in the mineral mines of southern Africa. It is a song of solidarity which acknowledges communal suffering but also seeks to inspire hope and strength.
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Dec 5th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Patty Smyth and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Patty Smyth and DaveP like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I saw that the UN General Assembly held a minutes silence for President Mandela.

BBC live feed

President Mandela seemed to be one of those people who went past political identities and was highly admired by people regardless of whether or not they agreed with his policies and his political stance.
    Natalka, Patty Smyth and DaveP like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

How fortunate I am to have been alive to witness Mandela's great triumph. We are all blessed by his example. Rest in peace kind and loving soul …

Name:  Mandela.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  118.9 KB
    Last edited by Snow In Summer; Fri, Dec 6th, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

very sad to hear nelson has 'gone on'
    been remembering the free nelson mandela events i was at.

seems a long time ago - when he was still in prison.
    but surprisingly was not a long time ago...
    he is now free and as always a hero
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

a high profile figure always dies during the holidays
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

As the world mourns the death of Nelson Mandela, the South African government has released details of the state funeral for the anti-apartheid hero and former president.

President Jacob Zuma announced Friday morning that Mandela will be honoured with a memorial service to be held in a Johannesburg stadium on Dec. 10.

Mandela's body will then lie in state in the capital Pretoria from Dec. 11 until his burial on Dec. 15 at his rural home in Qunu, Zuma said.

This coming Sunday, Dec. 8, will be a national day of prayer and reflection for South Africa.

madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Great outline of his life, with info and pics

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2.../#time216_6691

I didn't know his third marriage was at the age of 80

Mr. Mandela with Graça Machel, the widow of President Samora Machel of Mozambique, in February 1998. They married later that year.
    madchives and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Sad to see him go...we'll keep him in our prayers.
    madchives, Natalka and bellaswan like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

not sure i have the right link but cross country checkup on cbc is on mandela

http://www.cbc.ca/liveradio/popup/in...ramKey=toronto

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

cbc radio one, is the place
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"Yesterday I issued a heartfelt and personal statement about the passing of President Nelson Mandela. I said that his family and his country would be in my prayers and Callista’s prayers.

I was surprised by the hostility and vehemence of some of the people who reacted to me saying a kind word about a unique historic figure.

So let me say to those conservatives who don’t want to honor Nelson Mandela, what would you have done?

Mandela was faced with a vicious apartheid regime that eliminated all rights for blacks and gave them no hope for the future. This was a regime which used secret police, prisons and military force to crush all efforts at seeking freedom by blacks.

What would you have done faced with that crushing government?

What would you do here in America if you had that kind of oppression?

Some of the people who are most opposed to oppression from Washington attack Mandela when he was opposed to oppression in his own country.

After years of preaching non-violence, using the political system, making his case as a defendant in court, Mandela resorted to violence against a government that was ruthless and violent in its suppression of free speech.

As Americans we celebrate the farmers at Lexington and Concord who used force to oppose British tyranny. We praise George Washington for spending eight years in the field fighting the British Army’s dictatorial assault on our freedom.

Patrick Henry said, “Give me liberty or give me death.”

Thomas Jefferson wrote and the Continental Congress adopted that “all men are created equal, and they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

Doesn’t this apply to Nelson Mandela and his people?

Some conservatives say, ah, but he was a communist.

Actually Mandela was raised in a Methodist school, was a devout Christian, turned to communism in desperation only after South Africa was taken over by an extraordinarily racist government determined to eliminate all rights for blacks.

I would ask of his critics: where were some of these conservatives as allies against tyranny? Where were the masses of conservatives opposing Apartheid? In a desperate struggle against an overpowering government, you accept the allies you have just as Washington was grateful for a French monarchy helping him defeat the British.

Finally, if you had been imprisoned for 27 years, 18 of them in a cell eight foot by seven foot, how do you think you would have emerged? Would you have been angry? Would you have been bitter?

Newt Gingrich
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Newt Gingrich
    Many people are taking a lot of flak these days for saying that their beliefs have evolved. Mandela was in favor of a communist type of regime but later changed his mind. Do we fault him for that or praise him for having the courage to admit he was wrong about certain things. It seems that "evolving" opinions are considered a sign of weakness rather than a sign of maturity and reflection.

I certainly don't have the same opinions about things at 50 that I had at 20.

Good for Gingrich for taking a stance. Too bad the ignoramuses who are not lowering their f.l.a.g.s to half mast in certain U.S. cities can't put aside their prejudices for a minute.
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Sun, Dec 8th, 2013 at 08:06 PM.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Patty Smyth likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Many people are taking a lot of flak these days for saying that their beliefs have evolved. Mandela was in favor of a communist type of regime but later changed his mind. Do we fault him for that or praise him for having the courage to admit he was wrong about certain things. It seems that "evolving" opinions are considered a sign of weakness rather than a sign of maturity and reflection.

I certainly don't have the same opinions about things at 50 that I had at 20.

Good for Gingrich for taking a stance. Too bad the ignoramuses who are not lowering their s to half mast in certain U.S. cities can't put aside their prejudices for a minute.
    ITA...especially when there are far too many right-whingers down-playing the ANC's policies regarding health-care in South Africa becuase it's far too close to the Affordable Care Act.

Not to mention the fact that far too many US/UK right wing politicans thought that President Mandela should have been executed for treason for wanting the same basic rights in South Africa that were the law in both countries who were condemning him as a criminal...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information