User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Must have baby items?

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

I was just reading Minou's thread in the rant section about baby shower registries.... and I got some good ideas from it... but I was wondering if you any of you can tell me what are some must buys for a first time parent?
    On my list so far I have-
    Tucks wipes

Ovol

D drops

infant tylenol

Hydrasense nasal aspirator

cloth diaper liners

thermometer

diaper rash cream
    Have a bunch of cloth wipes coming in the mail from amazon soon

Any suggestions would be great! we are planning on using cloth diapers ( no negative comments please, i got some today from an 18 year old co-worker.... we are going to use disposables for the first few weeks)

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com
    Natalka likes this.
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Baby nail clippers - they are amazing! (LOL - I use them now for our cats' nails!)

Just a note - it's actually easier/better to use the cloth diapers right away, better for baby's fresh new bottom!
    I used cloth til baby got his first tummy bug at eight months old - he was just going to go into a larger size anyway, so that's when I switched to disposable.

Soother - even if you don't plan/want to use one, it's good to have a few around, just in case.
    We would have loved our son to have used one, but he just wouldn't - gah!

I never had enough receiving/swaddling blankets, it seemed!
    Baby tub, hooded towel, baby washcloths

Other supplies depend upon whether you are breastfeeding or not, as well.

aussie likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our baby boy is currently 9 months old.

I would suggest adding to your list
    -Vaseline
    -extra crib sheet
    -orajel (not needed right away)

If you plan on breastfeeding
    -Lanolin (and use this from day 1 to help save your nipples until they toughen up more)
    -nursing pads
    -manual breast pump (don't necessarily get this unless the need arises. I found it to be a lifesaver when dealing with clogged milk duct or serious engorgement.)

I have exclusively bf our LO, but I still signed up for the freebies. The bottles were handy when we were trying to find a bottle that he would accept pumped milk from. We have tried a total of 7 different bottles and eventually gave up. We never used the soothers that came with the samples, but some people might find these handy. I donated the samples. I have enjoyed the diaper bag as an extra one for my stroller. The other small items have also been quite useful (spoons, bib, baby wash, facecloth, etc.)
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Jun 28th, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
    aussie likes this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

This thing:

http://www.target.com/p/the-first-ye...n/-/A-13037054

Change diapers anywhere-- on the grass outside; the backseat of the car; on public washroom change tables...and...you never have to worry about what you are laying your baby on--because you always know where it's been! Folds up for easy storage; can even fit inside a purse for heaven's sake.

This was by far THE best gift I received at my shower and the one I used the most. It saw a lot of bums!
    Natalka, aussie and PammieD like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    This thing:

http://www.target.com/p/the-first-ye...n/-/A-13037054

Change diapers anywhere-- on the grass outside; the backseat of the car; on public washroom change tables...and...you never have to worry about what you are laying your baby on--because you always know where it's been! Folds up for easy storage; can even fit inside a purse for heaven's sake.

This was by far THE best gift I received at my shower and the one I used the most. It saw a lot of bums!
    I keep a change pad in both of my diaper bags. I always lay it down under my little guy, even on public change stations. I find it handy. The one that comes with the Nestle baby bag is durable and my favorite.
    aussie, PammieD, salena and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I posted a bunch of information on similar topics in this thread: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/340602-...prices-canada/

Good luck with the gathering of stuff!
    aussie likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If you plan on breastfeeding, i would look into a breast shield. It is for women with inverted or small nipples. You place this silicone shield over and aids the baby's grasp. Have a 2 month old and am thankful. It also protects your nipples real well.

Also lots of receiving blankets, but try to find the larger ones, as baby gets bigger, the smaller ones are good just to place on top of them. I would look at getting "Kolik" We tried Ovol and didn't work as wel as Kolik did which is basically gripe water.
    Good Luck with your little one!!
    Natalka, aussie and Nomerr like this.

Trading Score
    303 (100%)

a swing
    diaper rash cream
    powder
    lotion
    baby wash
    instead of a baby bath tub i used a wire rack with a mesh sling and it goes right in the bath tub
    homemade receiving blankets (they are bigger than store bought ones and i made them 1 meter by 1 meter)
    sleepers, clothes, socks, slippers
    bottles ( i am exclusively BF but will take a bottle of breast milk if going out somewhere or if i want a few hours to myself. i used a bottle made by first years. it is called breast flow. the nipple is 2 pieces and the baby has to work to get the milk out just like BF)
    lanolin
    nursing bra

the list can go on and on........
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will look at that link later on Minou, when I have more time!

Yes Im planning on breastfeeding!
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Oh! my health insurance covers breast pumps up to $300! with a doctors note...

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

A cheap cell phone that you can buy time for. Basically you leave it with any babysitters you get. That way you can call them or they can call you anytime. This is especially important if you want the babysitter to take the kid for a walk or anything that would have them out of the house. (Not everyone has a cell phone but you don't want to have a list of numbers for different babysitters anyway.)

(Dh and I both have our own cell phone since we don't have a landline... so we leave a phone with whoever is babysitting and I take the other one.
    aussie and PammieD like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Oh! my health insurance covers breast pumps up to $300! with a doctors note...
    Wow, how lucky! The cheapie electric one I got was useless, ended up using a good manual one. However, I dreamed of having one like the hospital had, lol!

I agree with shawl about the blankets - my mom had made some 1m square and they were just the right size - baby grows quickly!
    aussie and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

I would honestly not advise buying toooooo much of any one thing though. I had stocked up on lots if stuff for bums and they've all been given away. I've only had to use vaseline a few times for my baby's bum in the last 9 months, huggies EXPLODED everywhere, dodnt need any diaper rash cream to date....she doesn't like massages so the lotion has been useless. I had the babdy sling thing for the bath tub but she was too long and liked to kick too mich so that didn't work. She loves the swing and hates the jolly jumper (whereas a lot of my friends kids loved jolly jumpers and only half said they liked the swing). I did find the vibrating bouncing seat super helpful though. I would put her in it from the 2nd or 3rd wk home, for like 5 mins at a time and worked her up to 30 mins so that she could learn to "entertain" herself. It seems to have worked. She wasn't always super happy at first, but I found it was a sanity saver. Just to make a coffee or brush my teeth etc. The vibrating also helped when she was constipated....

I've ended up making a lot of baby baskets and diaper cakes for friends and acquaintances that are having babies.

The Hydrasense nasal aspirator is my number one pick though. Use a $10 off starter kit coupon (makes it $9.99 at sdm).

I dunno....I'd just try to get a bit of different things and then go from there. Every baby comes out with its own personality. Obviously you can help influence it, but if a baby doesn't need or like something, no point in having spent a fortune on it! I'm just hoping I can use it all for a second child one day!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I couldn't live without my really great stroller...I walk a ton
    New mom October 2014!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds odd but antibacterial wipes and alcohol hand sanitizer, find i'm always needing it for something or other!
    aussie and PammieD like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information