User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Pretending to be disabled for a free bus ride

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They are talking about special bus passes with photo ID to combat that too
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

yes walkers can be extremely expensive, even off kijiji. i was very lucky to pick up my cane right after my back/leg injury a few years back at a garage sale, for a $1. the lady who used it 'upgraded'. its collapsible. perfect for my needs. it doesn't take much for my leg to get tired and then 'lazy'. so most ppl see me without it, then they see me use it on the bus... think ya right..trust me if i had a magic wand!!
    Last edited by MrsSunshine; Mon, Jul 1st, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Crochetlady likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

it is amazing how so many of you are judging on here but do any of you really know if this is the truth or not. There are many days that at one moment l am perfertly fine and no of you would of thought l was disabled. Two minutes later l would be hit with a migraine and l would have slurred speech, barely able to walk, have to use either a shopping cart or cane. l have a handicap parking sticker. So lets see which one of you is a medical doctor and could diagnose me. lt took a team of doctors at Harvard Universary 5 years to finally rid me of this so please don't pass judge others. You think it is to get a free ride while what do you do with the cane all day, l don't think they want they other workers to think they they are saying $2.25 a day with a cane in the office. l'm just saying

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    They are talking about special bus passes with photo ID to combat that too
    I hope that does happen here. I even heard it on CBC radio a few times saying how its a huge problem here in Hamilton and no other city does it happen like here. When they had the meeting a lot of people were complaining and some people had videos to prove there point that it was abused here.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Colleen, the fact is the scammers have given legit users a bad name, there is one they showed who is on a roller derby team, she boards the bus using a walker but on Friday night, she is magically healthy enough to skate for several hours throwing other people out of her way.

The city has kept our fares low with few increases over the years, but they say 10% of people are not legitimate users of the voluntary pay (and it is voluntary pay, not free) and they are now facing a law suit over treating people with disabilities differently which could cost them a lot as well as complaints from people who are subsidising these free rides. If I and someone else are both on our way to work, take the same bus - why do they pay less? It is not HSR's fault they are disabled.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Well it is the same thing with the disabled parking passes...lots of fakers, but they cost $50/year
    I pay nothing for mine. It automatically gets renewed every 5 years and mailed out to me.
    Crochetlady and lecale like this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Dayanara - Earn free stuff just for searching the web!

http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=66bba0e75...fbd07b4aef23ad - WagJag it up! Great deals at a fraction of the cost.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayanara View Post
    I pay nothing for mine. It automatically gets renewed every 5 years and mailed out to me.
    I have no idea where I got that from then

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Try taking one of those older buses on the #4 route, the padding cannot make up for the older shocks, you get thrown around on the terrible roads
    Oh, I know the Bayfront #4 HSR route! Burlington Street can be a chiropractor's dream with an old bus and wonky shocks! Toss in Woodward Avenue and you are set for a day of shaking your limbs to feel ok for the day. Used to work on Burlington St. and took Bayfront daily...

But I usually see the HSR customers with mobility aids on King 1/1A, Delaware 5/West Hamilton 5C, and Barton 2 bus routes. Rollators and large strollers make a joke of aisle space on the buses, especially with the upright poles placed like an obstacle course.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I will never get why they can't sit on the driver side (when there is space) where the poles are further out.

I was on the #2 a few weeks back, there was 5 strollers, 3 walkers and people standing. One woman put her stroller in the exit area. Another gets on and stops right behind the driver (this was at the GO before it got busy) so she is blocking the whole aisle. The next mom got on and just moved her stroller for her since she wasn't moving 'because she wasn't going far'. Then she moves down the bus and instead of sitting beside someone else with a stroller, she sits opposite. The bus driver ended up throwing one off the bus as she was feeding her kid KFC and he was throwing his greasy food at other passengers then told the others to all move to one side or fold their strollers or get off. Again, only on Barton
    Ciel, anastasia1009 and i_forget like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I will never get why they can't sit on the driver side (when there is space) where the poles are further out.

I was on the #2 a few weeks back, there was 5 strollers, 3 walkers and people standing. One woman put her stroller in the exit area. Another gets on and stops right behind the driver (this was at the GO before it got busy) so she is blocking the whole aisle. The next mom got on and just moved her stroller for her since she wasn't moving 'because she wasn't going far'. Then she moves down the bus and instead of sitting beside someone else with a stroller, she sits opposite. The bus driver ended up throwing one off the bus as she was feeding her kid KFC and he was throwing his greasy food at other passengers then told the others to all move to one side or fold their strollers or get off. Again, only on Barton
    I would rather take the King down to where I needed to go and walk towards Barton Street than to take that bus between James and Ottawa.
    Ciel likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

mountain has gotten to the point where there just as many crazy's believe me I think there all over the place!!! Thus the why I want out lol I never been big on Hamilton but as much as some may say you never know about the person disability's most people who live here know HOW MANY people in Hamilton love to scam there way for free ride, free food cheap rent ect ect.
    anastasia1009 and Giddymonkey like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Reason to love the #10 Beeline Express-it's fast to get across the city and walk to the place you want to arrive at (including Barton Street/fashion district on Ottawa St. N.).
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I suppose it's better than assaulting the bus driver (to avoid paying)....like they do here in Vanc. I would hate to be a bus driver.
    Last edited by redhdlois; Thu, Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Lois, that happens here too
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I try to avoid the 2 Barton at all costs - I would rather take the 10 or 1 along King or Main and walk over to Barton. I was on the 2 Barton going to Target when it first opened sitting on the bus two older men came on the bus, one sat beside me and smelled like whiskey. The smell was so bad I had to get up and move some place else then strollers came on not with kids in them but with beer cases where the kid is suppose to be. I went to Target and instead of taking the 2 to Centennial I walked to catch the 10.
    They need to make Barton Street better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information