User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Dogs in Stores???

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I am just curious about the general thoughts on dogs (for that matter any animal, other than service dogs) in stores. I realize that dogs are 'allowed' in Pet Smart and possibly other pet stores, but what about Walmart, No Frills, Home Outfitters? I have encountered this in a few stores and don't really understand the purpose of dogs 'shopping'. Recently it was Home Outfitters; here is a copy of the message I sent

• I am so disappointed in your store. I was at the South Barrie, Ontario location, to purchase k-cups. While in line I noticed a customer has a dog in a cart and was explaining to 3 year and and his mother how friendly the dog was. I was not aware that dogs were allowed in the store (outside of service dogs). This is a dangerous practice - dogs can and will bite when they feel threatened no matter how friendly the owner says they are (this is an unfamiliar environment and the dog was contained in a cart - who can predict the reaction when a three year old reaches his/her hand into the cart ? - what if your wrong? Also there are the people who have allergies to dogs who are purchasing items that may have dog hair/dander on them (due to shedding or using a cart that a dog was in ( I am not allergic, and I have a dog but do not wish to purchase brand new items that have dog hair on them - not to mention the feces that may also be in the cart, transferred from the dogs feet). You also sell food products in this store and as a consumer I would like to purchase all my food products in a animal free environment. So I asked to speak to a manager, she came out (manager ?) and asked who has the problem and I said I do. There is a dog in the cart...she said ' the dog is small and in a cart I don't see a problem with it. Are you kidding? Is this store policy? If you can bring dogs in, are you discriminating based on the size of dog? There is no reason for a dog to be in Home Outfitters, they cannot shop or purchase items. As a result I called customer service, from the parking lot, as I was completely disgusted. I still have not heard back from the store and it's been over 3 weeks. I try to shop Canadian but when things like this happen in Canadian stores I hesitate to go back and I spread the word.

As I re-read this it does sound a little harsh but I still believe that dogs (animals) do not need to be in most stores. Am I being unreasonable? I am just looking for other thoughts or opinions on this. No bashing people for their opinion please.

This thread is currently associated with: No Frills, Walmart

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I feel the exact same way as you. I wish I could like your post 1000 times. Yesterday, we were eating at a restaurant and someone walked into the patio with their dog. I guess someone complained, because the waitress came and asked them to put the dog on the other side of the fence. I don't understand why people need to bring their dogs with them everywhere.
    Last edited by xox2010; Mon, Jul 1st, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    ryry, Crochetlady, Insane and 10 others like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I feel the same way and with people with allergies they should not be allowed. Plus stores that carry food its a health violation and for safety issues because little dogs can bite too.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

If food is sold, not allowed. Plus in a cart, the dog can do #1 or #2 and the owner may not see or may not clean up. The next person with the cart does not know what may have been left behind.

You may want to call the manager and ask for a sign on the door, "Service Animals Only". Give the manager another chance. If the same reaction as in your original letter, tell the manager you will be calling Simcoe Muskoka Health Department and speaking with a public health inspector.
    Landior, ryry, Patty Smyth and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    I feel the exact same way as you. I wish I could like your post 1000 times. Yesterday, we were eating at a restaurant and someone walked into the patio with their dog. I guess someone complained, because the waitress came and asked them to put the dog on the other side of the fence. I don't understand why people need to bring their dogs with them everywhere.
    And it teases the dog with all that food and drink around. The dog would be more comfortable at home.
    ryry, Crochetlady, Insane and 3 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:50 AM.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

In places that sell food I agree they shouldn't be allowed but as for other places it doesn't bother me if they are #1 small enough to be in a cart,bag or held and #2 are quiet (not whinning or yappy).

JMO

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I received a call from the district manager and he informed me that there is no store policy against dogs in the store. I think it is a health issue as food products are sold.
    If dogs are allowed in the store, I can't see how you could limit the size you allow or how vocal the dog is.
    I complained at No Frills once too, and the employee told me it was OK because the dog was sick...WTH
    I don't have a problem with dogs except that their behaviour is unpredictable (no matter how well you know your dog you cannot guarentee (sp?) it won't bite). I would not want to be the dog owner responsible for a lifelong scar (emotional, physical or otherwise) on a child or any person for that matter.
    If I was somewhere (Europe) where dogs are allowed to be everywhere it would be different but I have always had an understanding that dogs were not allowed in stores here in Canada.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have to agree with OP, I personally have dog issues (they freak me out and I panic if they jump on me). I do not work in a department store but I know at our work we constantly have people bring there dogs into our showroom/office as well as let them run around in our parking lot. One this is super unsafe for the dog as one we are located on a highway with a speed limit of 80 km but trust me when I say the trucks are going a lot faster. Secondly we deal in building supplies and although we are super careful to keep products out of the parking lot a lot of customer have been known to have open boxes of screws and nails or aluminum scrap int eh back of their truck which can fall out and I would hate to see a dog step on this. Not to mention dogs have used our parking lot as their bathroom and owners do not clean up after them leaving our staff to do so.

I think people need to remember no everyone likes and even though the dog maybe as nice as can be it can still make people uncomfortable and others should not have to feel uncomfortable well shopping. Unless it is a service dog, dogs should be left at home or in the car, if it is hot out leave them at home. I have heard that argument it was too hot to leave them in the car, you knew this before you went out so they should have been left at home. But this is just my opinion.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A greeter at Home Depot got her nose parially bitten off by a small pet dog a couple of years ago.Dogs aren't allowed in the farmers market in Red Deer and my Mum has seen people with their dogs there.I've ratted out people to the staff a couple of times that had dogs in Walmart and Zellers.Dogs belong at home only service dogs should be allowed in stores.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Where I work there's a no animals sign on the door, excluding service animals. Being in the heart of downtown, a lot of people just flat out ignore that. It's not so much big dogs, but people bring in small breeds, and a couple times somebody has brought in a RABBIT. WHY? Just leave it at home it's not like you're out walking your rabbit downtown.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I hate when people bring their dogs shopping.

I used to work in a retail clothing store. One woman called my employer crazy and went ballistic because we told her somebody was allergic to dogs.

A dog also went number one in a change room. And number two randomly on the floor. Obviously the pet owners didn't clean it up.

Another note; my fiance and I went out for breakfast the other day and somebody left their dog in the car while they were eating (The windows were open a crack) but really? Is it necessary?

If you can`t take care of them then don`t own them.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    A dog also went number one in a change room. And number two randomly on the floor. Obviously the pet owners didn't clean it up.
    Exactly. The dog doesn't know he has to hold it in until he gets home. The owner should be smarter than that. And more responsible -- cleaning up the #1 and #2!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Some people view their pets as their children and think because they love them so much that everyone else will probably love them just as much too. NOT!

I have a family member who has a very lovely to look at little dog. She is spoiled rotten. I mean ROTTEN. Her mother (my relative) takes the dog everywhere. To the bank, to the doctor's office, to the grocery store etc. She does not understand that not everyone thinks her dog is the mother of all dogs!

I Love dogs, do not get me wrong but I do think that a dog belongs at home while their owners are out shopping. There are health reasons why animals are not allowed into a department store not to mention safety factors as everyone above has mentioned.

We once had a lady come into my work with a dog and we politely informed her that she could not shop with the dog in the cart. She boldly said "OH she's not hurting anything" and while I agree with her, our business is not one that is conducive to allowing pets into the store. She refused to leave until she was finished with her shopping. What a jerk!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I have to agree with OP. I'm a dog lover, but I think it's better for all and sundry that the pet stays home. Not everyone is a dog lover. My step dad is terrified of dogs. The last thing he wants is to be faced with a dog while out shopping.

I was at the Chapters in south Barrie the other day and someone was walking between the Starbucks area and the books with her big, puppy lab mix. Who was very enthusiastic. A lovely dog, but just shouldn't be in a shop.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information