User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Stupid People leaving kids in car during extreme heat

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Haven't been following the stores but have heard about it. How sad. Wouldn't know what to think of the relative whom left him in the car if that's what happened (if that is the truth). I agree,if you have 1 child to watch, it should be easy to remember!

Never left mine in the car either,won't lie it's crossed my mind when i just have to run in somewhere, but she was always with someone or taken out. In this day of age it seems to be common sense to not leave a child in the car.

But nowadays a lot of people seem to 'forget' things a lot more...i blame technology and new inventions that are making our brains 'lazier' and more forgetful. I won't lie I've forgoten dd's backpack like 100 times this first school year,lol.
    Natalka and Shirnette like this.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

hubby and i recently watched a show about these type of things happening...and it's because peoples lives have becomes soooo hectic....really does your life ever become so hectic that you forget your child..if it does...its time to take a break and re evaulate your situation and make a new game plan
    ....just be happy

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A few days after the Milton boy died, a mother was charged because she left her daughter(?) in the car.

I watched this video of a vet sitting in a car to see how hot it gets. He's promoting awareness of not leaving a pet in a car but it pertains to children too.
    http://youtu.be/JbOcCQ-y3OY
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's just so very sad... and crazy at the same time.

My son came home yesterday just when the news was showing the little white coffin of the boy in Ontario, and I was just crying and crying... then to hear the girl in Edmonton had died too... just so awful.

Unfortunately, there are many - ONE is too many - instances of this happening every year.

To prevent heat stroke deaths, Kids And Cars.org recommends learning the following mnemonic to help prevent heat stroke deaths:

Be Safe

Back seat – Put something in the back seat so you have to open the door when leaving the vehicle – cell phone, employee badge, handbag, etc.
    E
    very child should be correctly restrained in the back seat.

Stuffed animal – Move it from the car seat to the front seat to remind you when your baby is in the back seat.
    Ask your child-care provider to call you within 10 minutes if your child hasn’t arrived on time.
    Focus on driving – Avoid cell phone calls and texting while driving.
    Every time you park your vehicle open the back door to make sure no one has been left behind.

http://www.kidsandcars.org/heatstroke.html

http://www.kidsandcars.org/canada.html
    Crochetlady and xox2010 like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I can see how it could happen, and I doubt that caregivers left the child in the car intentionally in most cases... in a rush to get to work, a parent could forget to drop the child at daycare... I've passed the turn to daycare a few times in the morning, and have had to turn around a few blocks away and head back. This is usually accompanied by a "Mom! Where are we GOING?" from the back seat. A relative unaccustomed to looking after the child might be so used to being "independent" that they forget they have a child with them. A parent taking groceries into the house could forget to return for the child.

What's driving me crazy right now is that I've had three people tell me in the last few days about how dangerous it is to leave a child in a car. Two were strangers who approached us when we were out shopping. One was my dad, who was concerned that I was taking my two children out in the car to go to the bank. "How is it even possible to take two kids to the bank?" he asked, for some reason doubtful of my ability to take them into the bank with me! Maybe he was thinking of the good old days when he used to leave us in the car with the windows rolled down when he and my mom had to go to the store, the bank, the insurance office, etc. Yeesh.

I've read the expression "look before you lock" being used -- to check the back seat before you lock your doors.
    ninna, xox2010, online and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I agree that our lives have become too hectic and we rely on technology too much! Life needs to slow down and this is a very sad reminder. It is saddening to think that any caregiver could be so distracted by daily chores to forget the most important thing. It has been said by many that the advancement of technology will be the end of a productive society. As with anything, technology needs to be used with limitations. The hectic lifestyles we live to afford this new society is a contributing factor. I wish that everyone had (would take) the opportunity to slow down and enjoy the important things in life. My heart breaks for the children lost and their families (((HUGS)))

The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people. ~Karl Marx

The greatest task before civilization at present is to make machines what they ought to be, the slaves, instead of the masters of men. ~Havelock Ellis

This is perhaps the most beautiful time in human history; it is really pregnant with all kinds of creative possibilities made possible by science and technology which now constitute the slave of man - if man is not enslaved by it. ~Jonas Salk

Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards. ~Aldous Huxley

Technology... the knack of so arranging the world that we don't have to experience it. ~Max Frisch

And one of my favorites:

If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

I love quotes

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I have never understood how people can forget their children in the car especially after hearing about all the cases of heat exposure or heat related deaths on the radio while you are driving. I have forgotten my purse while trying to get my daughter from the car but not her. People remember their phones and computers but I guess kids aren't the phones or computers and they can't be used to text or surf the net.
    ryry, Natalka, Crochetlady and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

http://www.ggweather.com/heat/
    Its American but its still shocking the number of children that die in America do to being left in cars!
    Just this year (2013) 16 children have died of heatstroke do to being left in a car!!

In 2012 - it was 32!!! I just don't understand!
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    It's just so very sad... and crazy at the same time.

My son came home yesterday just when the news was showing the little white coffin of the boy in Ontario, and I was just crying and crying... then to hear the girl in Edmonton had died too... just so awful.

Unfortunately, there are many - ONE is too many - instances of this happening every year.

To prevent heat stroke deaths, Kids And Cars.org recommends learning the following mnemonic to help prevent heat stroke deaths:

Be Safe

Back seat – Put something in the back seat so you have to open the door when leaving the vehicle – cell phone, employee badge, handbag, etc.
    E
    very child should be correctly restrained in the back seat.

Stuffed animal – Move it from the car seat to the front seat to remind you when your baby is in the back seat.
    Ask your child-care provider to call you within 10 minutes if your child hasn’t arrived on time.
    Focus on driving – Avoid cell phone calls and texting while driving.
    Every time you park your vehicle open the back door to make sure no one has been left behind.

http://www.kidsandcars.org/heatstroke.html

http://www.kidsandcars.org/canada.html
    theseare great tips... But seriously are we at the point in this world that we don't freaking realize our children are in the car??? I have never ever forgotten that my children are in the car and I don't get how the heck it's possible.

Do these parents leave their kids at home alone sometimes because they forget them there??? There is no excuse for this!
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Speachless...so sad!
    Natalka, xox2010 and online like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

l think whomever let those babies in the vechicles should have the same treatment done back to them. As the saying goes an eye for an eye
    Crochetlady likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

No words to add! Everyone seems to have spoken how I am feeling right now! RIP little souls!
    Natalka likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So sad! Its hard to imagine that people still don't get that they can't leave their kids in the car.
    Natalka likes this.
    Disney Planner Extraordinaire! - Book your Disney Vacation with us and receive a FREE Disney Gift Card!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post

I watched this video of a vet sitting in a car to see how hot it gets. He's promoting awareness of not leaving a pet in a car but it pertains to children too.
    http://youtu.be/JbOcCQ-y3OY
    I posted that video over in the Pets forum a few days ago.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:51 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information