User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree495Likes

Thread: QOTD: Fri 05 July: Worst gift ever!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

worst gift was also in hindsight my best.

couple years ago i was unemployed and on social assistance. Every christmas we get together as a family at my aunt's house.
    My aunt had been helping my mother apply for disability tax credit so she basicaly went over 8 years of prev tax returns to apply for this credit. got a 10k cheque for my mum so to thank my aunt for doing this, my mum bought my aunt's family a digital camera.

so we're all sitting there at christmas, my mum passes this small velvet bag to my aunt, she opens it and there's a 300$ camera in it.

couple gifts go round. then it's my turn and i'm passed a small velvet bag matching my aunt's. I lean over to my boyfriend at the time(1st xmas together and 1st time he meets the family) and i whisper omg, she actually got me a camera, i am in SHOCK
    (weird thing about my mother is she takes a trip to cuba every 2 years, house is payed off, pension but she's never spent more than 10$ on her children and grandchildren, the last year we got A 5$ bill in a card)

so i open the bag .....................*DRUMROLL*

it's a block of cheese! not blackdiamond, no no.....a no-name block of cheddar cheese that expired in 2 days, pricetag 3.64$

i have no filter, i looked up and burst out laughing. she explained a couple of weeks ago i was complaining about the price of cheese and how much my daughter loved it so she thought it'd be perfect. She was incredibly insulted because everyone burst out laughing, we all thought it was a gaga gift. it wasn't, she was 100% serious.

the other gifts she gave my sister and i that year were magazine subscriptions she had applied for at different addresses (get 1st month free, cancel at any time) with stickers addressed to her name.
    she gave me bridal magazine's (remember the 1st xmas my bf and i spent together) you should have seen the look of panic on his face.

both of these were the best gifts because my siblings and family now laugh at it till we pee our pampers.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

On my 14th birthday my mom sat me down and told me my father and her were over with and that he had left us with nothing and we were packing our stuff to move to my grandpas house. He had a severe drug addiction, he left when I was born and I didnt meet him until I was 9yrs old.

HAH.
    Seriously couldnt have waited until after my birthday to tell me... LOL.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
    Angela273, danger_dan and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got a trip to Columbus a few years ago to watch a hockey game with brother, from my dad. It sounds like a nice gift, and it was, I enjoyed it.

My older sister got a brand new car, and my younger sister got a house for there birthdays that year.

but I'm not complaining, life has been good to me.
    ottawa, Silk, Angela273 and 2 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

A hoodie that was actually pretty nice but too small -- from my SIL who explained, "I knew it probably wouldn't fit you, but it was on sale."

Silk
    Have a great life!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

When I was 8yrs old I was at my mom's house celebrating my birthday. One of my presents was in a fairly large box. I remember being somewhat excited and curious. I unwrapped the box and had to untape it in order to get inside. Inside was another box, closed with packing tape, and another box, and another box, and another box. There were about 6 boxes, one inside the other...continuously getting smaller. Mom literally got a small knife from the kitchen to help me open this present. Inside the last box was a small stuffed big bird. I don't like big bird. I remember my mom rudely commenting that she got me it because I talked like big bird (talked too much).

Dh and I got married 2yrs ago. My brother and SIL gave us a heavy box and dropped it off at our house in advance of the wedding and told us not to open it until after the wedding. We were getting married 5hrs away in Saskatoon, but brother and SIL, dh and I all live in Estevan. I thought from the weight of the box and a small sound that it made that it might be a set of glass bowls or something. Turned out to be a fire pot. I didn't even know what a fire pot was. Most of our wedding guests gave us money or gift cards because dh and I had purchased our house and furnished our home already. We had also paid for the entire wedding ourselves. We have a house with a yard and a bbq. I can't even roast marshmallows over fire pot...so why did we need one? We ultimately sold it in our garage sale last year.

Dh has told a story about his childhood many times. I must point out that dh's birthday is Dec 28th. His mom is the oldest child, therefore my dh is fairly close in age to some of his aunts and uncles. One year for Christmas dh received a remote control car from his aunt... she had removed the specialty batter pack from the car. Three days later he received the battery pack to the remote control car for his birthday!
    anisa, Silk, danger_dan and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Dh has told a story about his childhood many times. I must point out that dh's birthday is Dec 28th. His mom is the oldest child, therefore my dh is fairly close in age to some of his aunts and uncles. One year for Christmas dh received a remote control car from his aunt... she had removed the specialty batter pack from the car. Three days later he received the battery pack to the remote control car for his birthday!
    OMG.

Silk
    anisa, Angela273 and danger_dan like this.
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Love this thread I actually read every post. !!! LOL
    anisa, Silk, Angela273 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Regarding kids being given money...yesterday our DD and I did some grocery shopping with their son (our 5-yr old grandson), and he helped a lady at the end of the line load some groceries into her cart, and she was so pleased she passed him a quarter to thank him. He yelled 'thank you', jumped up and down and was so excited, everyone around him knew what happened. lol!
    Then our DD (after praising him) said, "And where does that go?"..."In my piggy bank!" he yells...well, another laugh all around. Yep...all his money goes into it and he's so happy whenever he gives it a shake and feels how heavy it is.

A couple of weeks ago he wanted a toy and she said, okay...how much money do you have to buy it? He shook out all his money (it has a thingy that comes out to release the money), and when she counted out how much it would cost, he said, "Hum. Weelll...okay, but I really don't want it anymore." Poor kid landed a banker for a Mom...lol....

Anyway...I can't remember any bad gifts; either I'm too old to remember or I tend to forget things like that pretty quickly. It's likely a combination of both...Enjoyed reading your stories, however......not enjoyed exactly...you know what I mean...
    Silk and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

One ex boyfriend for some reason thought it was a good idea to give me microwaveable plush eye cover , socks and neck warmer .

Apart from the neck warmer why would I want to cover my eye with hot unbreathable fabric ?! And the slippers had like magic bag beans at the bottom .... Impossible to walk in and they'd fall off cause of the weight ... And the 5 sizes too big .

Same ex boyfriend .. First Christmas present . A set of sheets . He said mine were old and nice sheets would be nice . But they weren't nice , not soft and they were salmon colored .. What ever happened to a romantic present ?! Or somthing I would actually like ?!
    vesper likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

and the thread lives on...glad everyone is having fun!
    tasha313 likes this.
    DANGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information