User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree495Likes

Thread: QOTD: Fri 05 July: Worst gift ever!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

This thread reminded me if a gift that DH made me years ago! I'm sure all you ladies will have a good laugh!

So I asked him for a MAC palette - it looks like this:

He decided he would make one. The end result was this:

WTF? I wanted an eye shadow palette not a cutting board/weapon! The thing is HUGE!

We both laugh out butts off when we come across it (have it tucked away in the closet). It's the thought that counts. lol
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Fri, Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 15 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

That is hilarious, poor guy thought he was making the ultimate gift!!

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    This thread reminded me if a gift that DH made me years ago! I'm sure all you ladies will have a good laugh!

So I asked him for a MAC palette - it looks like this:

He decided he would make one. The end result was this:

WTF? I wanted an eye shadow palette not a cutting board/weapon! The thing is HUGE!

We both laugh out butts off when we come across it (have it tucked away in the closet). It's the thought that counts. lol
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 9 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by spidey46x2 View Post

Also - my aunt & uncle had a big, elaborate wedding. Open bar, midnight seafood was served etc. A family of four who attended gave them TEN DOLLARS. I am not joking. It wasn't even enough to cover the party favours we gave out to each person!
    I'm not sure what the relevance of the cash gift is to the price of party favours, unless you expect guests to subsidise the cost of some-one else's wedding party. Which seems very "gift-grabby" to me.

My worst present was a Christmas present from my MIL when I was pregnant with Penguinette 1. It was a full length nightdress with long sleeves and a high neck. A Victorian matron would ba complained that it was too modest. It might just have worked on me if I was about 8 inches taller. As it was I looked like a child playing dress-up complete with a pillow shoved into my undies.
    filza, anisa, Jezebel and 9 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

When I was 14 my first boyfriend gave me a Christmas gift. We exchanged gifts on Christmas eve but opened them in front of our family and then I think we met up later on Christmas day.

Well. I opened my present infront of my mother and grandmother and it was in a La Senza box. I was so embarassed and pretty sure my grandmother almost had a heart attack.

I opened the box and inside was a teddy bear and a (hideous) pink sweater.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 8 others like this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I hate plush animals and things with a passion, and I once got a GIANT, and I mean GIANT stuffed Eeyor. I don't particularly like Disney or Winnie The Pooh characters either, and I wasn't even a child at the time.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 11 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

about a week or so AFTER my wedding, my mother is like "i bought you some stuff"
    i was a little scared because the woman is deluded and has horrible taste.

she proceeds to open a downstairs closet and starts pulling out weird kitchen stuff.

- a couple of huge cooking pots. i just looked at her and said "umm maybe in 10 yrs i might have a need for pots this big. not now, no thanks." i still have no need for pots that big!

- UGLY corning floral design casserole/serving type dishes. not blue cornflower (ewww), but these 'modern' type dishes. they were corningware. nuff said :p i took a pass on those as well.

- a flipping can opener. the hand crank type. I had one already, because hubby and i were actually not neanderthal's... we did our household shopping before the wedding and had the good sense to purchase a can opener, duh! i passed on that 'gift' as well.

i think the only things i took from her were a teeny tiny little sieve, and maybe something else, i can't even remember.

i lived with them until the wedding, she did not once ask me what i wanted. she never thought to take me on these shopping trips where she was supposedly accumulating things for my new life as a married woman. i have a sneaking suspicion she just was trying to pass stuff onto me that she had actually purchased for herself.

her grand statement to me after our wedding was that she wanted to know what the total was for the money ppl had given us as gifts. (we got mostly cash, but we specificaly asked for no boxed gifts because we were moving out of province anyways) she then said that she would pay the difference so that everything totalled would add to X amount.

8 years later hubby and i were buying our first house, and i suddenly remembered that promise of gift money, which i never got from her at that time.

yup, you read that right... all my mother gave me at my wedding was a sieve LOL.

so i claimed my money over the phone, and she acted like she had actually been meaning to give me the money and was waiting for the right time to do so.

8 years woman, it's about time, pay up!
    Last edited by anisa; Fri, Jul 5th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just thought of another great gift I got.

When I was a kid, my dad's parent use to give us odd presents, they grew up in Germany between the wars so they have an odd way of thinking. Anyways, I became a woman before I hit 10, so all of my birthday and Christmas presents after that became "care packages" which included toiletries that they would buy at thrift stores and maxipads my Grandmother bought on clearance.....oh and expired cookies from Denningers.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 10 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

^ oh man, you just reminded me.

the deluded lady that has bad taste who got me a sieve for my wedding...

she buys little trinkets and crap for my kids from thrift stores, clearance stores etc.

you can treat your own kids like crap, ok, that's fine, but for crying out loud, at least be a proper grandparent and buy the kids some decent stuff! haha
    Jezebel, ottawa, Angela273 and 7 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was 16 and my aunt gave me a puzzle. The box said ages 3-5. I later gave it someone else with a child in that age range. My ex bf left me black roses on my doorstep that were half dead with a horrible, scary note. I had left him, because of his abuse, and not long after I received those. Not my idea of an ideal gift..

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    My parents forgot my birthday.....it was my 10th.
    I went the entire day waiting for a Happy Birthday or a surprise party or anything and got nothing.
    The next day I remember crying because I was so upset and my mom asked why and I flipped out.
    I then got a stupid friggin Alf doll later that night and they tried to tell me that I had my days mixed up.
    So now to this day I have a love hate relationship with my birthday.

And EVERYONE. Knows not to forget my birthday, or else! Lol
    That Alf doll is probably a collector's item now - worth $$$.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    My husband and I are not huge gift givers to one another for birthdays,we are more of buy something just because people. However when my 50th birthday came around he took our then 9 year old to buy me something......a freaking Shamwow. Not sure what the thought process was on that purchase but I was speechless. I graciously thanked them both for my little guys sake,but I still shake my head on this one!!I better not get the schticky for for our anniversary!!

Jezebel, Silk, xox2010 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    That Alf doll is probably a collector's item now - worth $$$.
    Alf had an accident.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 6 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Alf had an accident.

anisa, Jezebel, lecale and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    My husband and I are not huge gift givers to one another for birthdays,we are more of buy something just because people. However when my 50th birthday came around he took our then 9 year old to buy me something......a freaking Shamwow. Not sure what the thought process was on that purchase but I was speechless. I graciously thanked them both for my little guys sake,but I still shake my head on this one!!I better not get the schticky for for our anniversary!!
    lol. Kids are such suckers for what they see on television. I am sure my own mother had the EXACT same feelings you had when, for her birthday, I persuaded my dad to buy her this cookie making machine that was being advertised on TV...because I was 5 years old and what mommy doesn't dream of making buckets of cookies for her little girl???

What disturbs me more is that my dad actually went out and bought it for her.

Never got the cookies though. That thing collected dust for a number of years in the cupboard til it magically disappeared.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 7 others like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 6 others like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information