User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree495Likes

Thread: QOTD: Fri 05 July: Worst gift ever!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

A little while ago, there was this feud that went viral on the internet, between a Bride and a guest at her wedding. It seems the Bride was none too happy with the gift received (that's the photo of it up there, story here)...

So today's question...What is the most insulting, inappropriate, or just plain awful gift that you have received?

Think back to all the events you've been to, birthdays, bar mitzvahs, graduations, or any other gift giving event.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by danger_dan; Fri, Jul 5th, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
    Andit, Jezebel, Natalka and 2 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

DH's sister didn't attend any of our wedding festivities (not the shower, wedding or after party we held since we got married in the carribean) but she had her mother drop off a gift a few weeks later (early Jan).

It was 2 of the UGLIEST candle holders I've seen in my entire life. The looked homemade with gold glitter that came off on everything. The were presented in a plastic grocery bag with a card with no writing other than her name (an entirely blank card - no congrats).

What made the gift truly awful was on the very underside of the candles was Christmas tags that read "To:....." and "From: Gramma .....". She clearly re-gifted what her husbands gramma gave her for Christmas and didn't even bother to take the tags off!

I would have rather received nothing! It was truly insulting.

Same woman got me in a Kris Kringle one year and she gave me a used Cosmo magazine with a note saying I'm technically not family so I shouldn't even be included in the exchange (at that point DH and I were engaged and living together for almost 5 years).

Those are probably my most disliked gifts! lol
    anisa, Andit, Jezebel and 13 others like this.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

well Ii got a rake one year and thought .."whoopty f*@k, what am I going to do with this ?" I lived in an apartment with a balcony
    anisa, Natalka, Angela273 and 18 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My parents forgot my birthday.....it was my 10th.
    I went the entire day waiting for a Happy Birthday or a surprise party or anything and got nothing.
    The next day I remember crying because I was so upset and my mom asked why and I flipped out.
    I then got a stupid friggin Alf doll later that night and they tried to tell me that I had my days mixed up.
    So now to this day I have a love hate relationship with my birthday.

And EVERYONE. Knows not to forget my birthday, or else! Lol
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 11 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I dated a professional burlesque performer way way back in the day. She held a birthday party for me and my friends when she came to town (Calgary) where she was performing. So for my birthday my friends got to see my girlfriend naked. Ha ha!!
    anisa, Silk, avoncallingu and 12 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

At the top of my list:
    When DH and I got married, we received like a wooden-award type of thing (like this http://www.indiamart.com/laser-craft.../products.html), written on it "congratulations from X company". The X company is owned by the guy who gave us the gift. Hmmm no way I'm displaying that on a shelf at home to do advertising. We all laughed, my parents and in-laws where shocked and couldn't believe it. Basically, we didn't receive a gift from that person. It's like giving us something to promote his company.

I didn't take it as far as the bride with the food basket, nor did we mentioned this to any other relatives and friends. I just packed it away and it's in a box somewhere at my mom's house.

Then other gifts that have me shake my head are from people who give me clothes that obviously would not fit. Not by 1 size, like you know someone tried but got it wrong by not so much, but they're like 3 size smaller. It's obvious that they won't fit. It's like these person don't make an effort but would just buy something that was on sale with only a few size left.

I once received a bustier type of top for a D cup. I'm an A cup LOL.
    anisa, Natalka, Silk and 11 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    i dated a professional burlesque performer way way back in the day. She held a birthday party for me and my friends when she came to town (calgary) where she was performing. So for my birthday my friends got to see my girlfriend naked. Ha ha!!
    lol

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

I recieved a Pink Iron one year .....pfhht if it needs to be ironed I don'y buy it.....this past Christmas my brother gave me a popcorn maker...I hate popcorn....he said it is the thought that counts...he is now the owner of a fancy popcorn popper
    Last edited by Jezebel; Fri, Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling LOL
    anisa, Natalka, Silk and 11 others like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

For my 13th birthday my aunt got me the ugliest necklace ever! It was from the shopping channel and it was a white and gold massive egg necklace that opened so you can put like something small inside...what 13 year old wants that?
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 13 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

My husband and I are not huge gift givers to one another for birthdays,we are more of buy something just because people. However when my 50th birthday came around he took our then 9 year old to buy me something......a freaking Shamwow. Not sure what the thought process was on that purchase but I was speechless. I graciously thanked them both for my little guys sake,but I still shake my head on this one!!I better not get the schticky for for our anniversary!!
    anisa, Jezebel, Natalka and 13 others like this.

Trading Score
    456 (100%)

This is an easy one...

I was 14 and it was Christmas Eve. my parents bought me a pink dress with a matching pink blazer that had of all things pink FUR around the collar. To make matters worse they also threw in some little girl looking black patent flats. They were so proud of their choice they made me wear it on Christmas Eve with a pile of company over. My best childhood friend was thhere to witness the event and she never let me forget it.

anisa, Jezebel, Natalka and 14 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I always get horrible gifts from the same person. I am not really into "trinkety" type things, and I have young kids and a large dog. I have several UGLY porcelain cats, a big, hollow glass heart with fake flowers in it, an ornate glass picture frame that looked used and a plaque with a poem on it (also breakable). There is no way I would ever display this stuff, and I would never want to! I really have to wonder if the person bought them second-hand???

Also - my aunt & uncle had a big, elaborate wedding. Open bar, midnight seafood was served etc. A family of four who attended gave them TEN DOLLARS. I am not joking. It wasn't even enough to cover the party favours we gave out to each person!
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 11 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 10 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

My MIL always gives our kids used Catholic text books as gifts. They are 4 and 2 and can barely read, let alone text books! Beyond that they go to Catholic school and Church, that's enough! I always just put them down in the rec room (which we rarely use).
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 12 others like this.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

In-laws gave me a cloth ironing board cover for Christmas............for 3 years IN A ROW! They must have bought a pack of 3 and split it up until they were all gone!
    filza, anisa, Jezebel and 13 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information