User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: non optimumers are they rich or live in the dark?

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bargain Seeker View Post
    Just thought I would let you know that you can do as many 20x as you want during the same promo.
    Ty!! Can't believe they let you do this!!
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycoupons View Post
    Ok I just went to SDM and some guy in front of me spent over $100 and had no optimum card or even coupons. That would have been an easy $30 in points, I thought he was pretty dumb. He bought Gillette blades and a bunch of nivea for men stuff. I know there's coupons for all that stuff.. Anyways I thought I would post it.
    Confession. I was like this guy a few years ago. When they kept asking if I had an Optimum card, I was getting angry -- why were they wasting my time!?

Then a nice cashier took the time to show me how the points worked and how I could make money. There was no body in line at the time. I got the card and she said, "Congratulations!" It was a very, very slow education process for me, back in the day.

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherWake View Post
    I DO have an optimum card or whatever its called...but I rarely shop at SDM...I find their prices to be higher than elsewhere. Admittedly, I dont know all the rules and ins and outs and cool things about this rewards program, but I just know that If I want to buy (for example) shampoo, bandaids, crackers and popsicles...I could go down the street to WM/FB/NF etc and save 50c-$1 on each item. SDM always seems to be so much more expensive!
    You're partly right: it IS way more expensive if you don't really pay attention. However, many times you can find things like dove Shampoo on sale for $2.99- which then is a bit less than WalMart or anywhere else, really. And if you use a coupon, you're saving even more (I get my shampoos and body washes for .99 usually). Their milk is cheaper than anywhere near me. Most weekends you can find at least $50-$75 worth of items that are on sale for cheaper than anywhere else.

If you're interested in reading about it, go to Mrs January dot com and search free shoppers optimum guide. I had only ever been in a SDM about 5 times before I read this guide, and decided to try this out. I have shopped at SDM 6 times since getting an optimum card, and have spent only around $400. I now have 90,000 points from those $400 loonies. 4,000 more and I will be able to redeem them for between $220-$250 of free stuff on a bonus redemption day. More if I use coupons that day, too.
    Last edited by CanadianCouponCollector; Sat, Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I always offer up my card if the cashier and shopper look friendly enough to accept. They get their purchase i get thier points! Its a win/win

I too never seem to really ever use my card that much. Hubby had one when we got together but i never had my own. Last year i really started getting into watching points closer (on here) and finally got my own card! The last 2 Christmas's I only had enough to do a $125 redemption. But now with a ALOT more mail outs and weekely emailed coupons Im finding i shop in there ALOT more than i used to! I still dont do it regularly but im currently at roughly 62k in points and that only little shops here and there and maybe 3 20x times since last Christmas. I cant wait till Christmas this year where I can hopefully get the fullfillment of getting $250 in FREE Christmas gifts!!! The kids would LOVE to actually get some electronics this year and not just little things like in years past!
    Last edited by scbpooh; Sat, Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Let's hope he was some tourist who had left his Optimum card at home! That's painful.

I have a friend who is extremely adamant about not getting points cards because she is worried about her privacy. Been telling her for years to get a card, but she lets me scan her card whenever we're together. Told her about all the free stuff I've gotten and I think she's getting convinced.
    Ciel, coupon girl, lecale and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think some people are either rich or want to appear rich so don't want to be seen using coupons or loyalty cards. My mum is a lawyer and it took about a year of convincing to get her to sign up, because when you make hundreds of dollars an hour, I guess it's not as thrilling or worth your time to worry about.

Also, a lot of people are really bad at math, so they simply have no concept of what the points translate to. I didn't join Optimum for a long time simply because I don't like cards cluttering my wallet, and it looked like you would have to spend more money than I ever planned on spending there just to get $10. Once I found out about the 20x events, I couldn't believe what I had been missing out on that whole time, and I was shocked none of my friends or family had told me about it.

It does kind of horrify me when I go to the events and I see most of the people in the store are just there to buy a couple things and have no idea what they're missing out on. I want to pull out a megaphone and explain to everyone about the Optimum program, but maybe it's better that clueless people exist for Shoppers to make money on so the rest of us can milk the Optimum program without putting Shoppers out of business.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphe View Post
    I think some people are either rich or want to appear rich so don't want to be seen using coupons or loyalty cards. My mum is a lawyer and it took about a year of convincing to get her to sign up, because when you make hundreds of dollars an hour, I guess it's not as thrilling or worth your time to worry about.
    Ha ha. Your comment remind me of an old coworker who did not want to be seen shopping at Food Basics. I asked her to take a look at the parking lot next time she was in the area. At one Food Basics in the area, one day, I spotted Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Infiniti and Lincoln Town cars. More than one.

Also, I read that there are a group of wealthy people who do shop the sales and don't advertise theirr their wealth. They would be all over the Shoppers Optimum program, the bonus points offers and the mega redemption offers.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

When I go to a store with a loyalty program, I make sure to always have my card in my hand and to play with it so that the person in front of me can see that I have one (espacially if it's a man. No I'm not sexist, it's just that men don't usually have the points card). And if the cashier ask the person for the card and this person look at me, I will, on a joking tone with a big smile, say: "Do you want mine?" It usually works.
    Last edited by abouret; Mon, Jul 15th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Hi! I'm a shopaholic... hum no, scratch that, I'm a dealaholic!!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I was at SDM yesterday for the 20x event. In back of me was a lady who had bought a Jergens lotion for $6 something. The same one that was on liquidation for $3.99 and was a bonus pack with 2 lotions. I told her about it and gave her a coupon. She told me no thanks on the coupon because the item was already on liquidation. WTF??! I had to explain to her that you can use a coupon on stuff on sale. She also did not have an optimum card. Next time, I think I will try Abouret's trick.

Some people are totally clueless!
    AnnieP, abouret, i_forget and 2 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Most people that don't just don't want to go to the extra work or thought required.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I had my Optimum card for many years and would use it whenever I was in Shoppers. However, I found the store to be far too expensive to shop at. So I avoided going there. Then my sister-in-law and best friend started telling me about all the neat stuff they were getting for free with their Optimum points. I was sceptical. I wondered how much they were paying extra in overpriced merchandise. Then one day I saw Extreme Couponing on tv and wondered if it really was possible in Canada. So that's what I asked Google. That's how Mrs. January came into my life and all the wonderful wisdom she had to impart on the uninformed and willing to learn people like me that were out there and were wondering the same thing. Now I know many of the tricks when it comes to buying at Shoppers and using my Optimum card, which is essentially this: Never buy anything that isn't on sale and that you don't have a coupon for (or at worst - no coupon but a great deal!!). While my girlfriend has learned somewhat from what I've told her, my sister-in-law refuses to coupon or watch the flyers for the best cost savings (total insanity to my way of thinking!! )....but at least they both have cards!!
    carlyincanada and ishyx0x like this.
    Michelle

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    I was at SDM yesterday for the 20x event. In back of me was a lady who had bought a Jergens lotion for $6 something. The same one that was on liquidation for $3.99 and was a bonus pack with 2 lotions. I told her about it and gave her a coupon. She told me no thanks on the coupon because the item was already on liquidation. WTF??! I had to explain to her that you can use a coupon on stuff on sale. She also did not have an optimum card. Next time, I think I will try Abouret's trick.

Some people are totally clueless!
    My son works at SDM, and he has put up with me most of his life with coupons, not paying retail for anything..and he has watched and learned!! He sees so many customers that don't use their optimum card, or dont want one, or don't care about money!! One time they had buy 2 cases of soft drinks get the 3rd for a penny,my son told the man about the promotion, the man said that's ok I can only carry 2 (he didn't want the 3rd for a penny!!!)..he once told a senior citizen who was buying a small jar of peanut butter for $4.99 that the 1L was on sale for $2.99, she said that was too much for her!! I understand if its too much but save $2.00 and eat what you want and throw out the rest, it would still be cheaper!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    buying a small jar of peanut butter for $4.99 that the 1L was on sale for $2.99, she said that was too much for her!! I understand if its too much but save $2.00 and eat what you want and throw out the rest, it would still be cheaper!!!
    carlyincanada likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcon View Post
    my oldest brother still uses our parents phone number so he saves money when he shops safeway, i recently gave him my extra airmiles card, hopefully he uses it.
    Smart sister!

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

LOL some people are just too clueless! Glad we found SmartCanucks & know the tips & tricks to earn FREE stuff!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information