User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Loblaws Buying SDM

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

News outlets are announcing that Loblaws has agreed to buy Shoppers Drug Mart for $12.4 billion (enough that Galen Weston is rearranging shares to pay for it). Does this mean the end of Optimum as we know it? Time will tell.

“This transformational partnership changes the retail landscape in Canada. With scale and capability, we will be able to accelerate our momentum and strengthen our position in the increasingly competitive marketplace,” said Loblaw executive chairman Galen Weston.

Loblaw said Shoppers would retain its name and brand, and would operate as a separate division of Loblaw.
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

.... I just saw this and came to post. I'm 5,000 away from 95,000. As soon as I get it, I'm redeeming it. I'm scared.
    walkonby, torontogal12 and Karlina like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Interesting.. the giant gets bigger. Doesn't affect me one way or the other though as I rarely, if ever, shop there anymore.
    walkonby and glowworm2k like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCouponCollector View Post
    .... I just saw this and came to post. I'm 5,000 away from 95,000. As soon as I get it, I'm redeeming it. I'm scared.
    According to the Wall Street Journal, the deal would close in 6 or 7 months after they go through all the checks with the Canadian government.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...314630782.html
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Jul 15th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    The deal would close in 6 or 7 months after they go through all the checks with the Canadian government.
    Thanks!! I'll stick to my original plan of rack up all I can for the Christmas redemption and hope for the best afterwards!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Omg my friend texted me this morning to tell me about this when she saw it on the news. It's my third shocker this week!
    carlyincanada and oscarandme like this.
    "Expecto Patronum!" - Harry Potter

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    The deal would close in 6 or 7 months after they go through all the checks with the Canadian government.
    Not to mention that retailers generally have to give at least some notice if they are changing the terms and conditions of their loyalty programs. I don`t know the particulars of the terms and conditions for optimum (and do recall point devaluations and angry customers in the past), but I know that most retailers have something to give the consumer a heads up...

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCouponCollector View Post
    Thanks!! I'll stick to my original plan of rack up all I can for the Christmas redemption and hope for the best afterwards!
    Globe and Mail reports today, "A special meeting for the vote is scheduled for some time in September." To be sure your points will be o.k., you can e-mail Shoppers and ask them.

My opinion, Loblaws is doing this to be strong in Canada, just like Sobeys is buying Safeway. Loblaws and Sobeys want to be strong against Walmart and Target. Just my opinion.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glowworm2k View Post
    Not to mention that retailers generally have to give at least some notice if they are changing the terms and conditions of their loyalty programs. I don`t know the particulars of the terms and conditions for optimum (and do recall point devaluations and angry customers in the past), but I know that most retailers have something to give the consumer a heads up...
    42. The Shoppers Optimum Program will terminate at 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2016 (the “Termination Date”).

43. Shoppers Optimum Members will have until March 31, 2017 to redeem Shoppers Optimum Program rewards using Shoppers Optimum Points accumulated up to the Termination Date. Shoppers Optimum Points will expire at 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2017 and will not be honoured after such expiration date.

44. Shoppers Drug Mart reserves the right to extend the Program beyond the Termination Date, or terminate the Program at any time prior to the Termination Date, by providing 30 days notice in Shoppers Drug Mart store flyers and notices posted in participating stores. If events beyond Shoppers Drug Mart’s control materially affect Shoppers Drug Mart’s ability to operate the Shoppers Optimum Program, the Program may be suspended or terminated without notice.

45. Shoppers Drug Mart may restrict, suspend or otherwise alter any aspect of the Shoppers Optimum Program, without notice. Any material changes to these Terms and Conditions will be posted online and a copy of the Terms and Conditions will be made available at each participating store, upon request. The online version of the Terms and Conditions is the governing version. For the most current version of these Terms and Conditions please visit www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/optimum/legal.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I just heard this news on Breakfast TV. I hope the Optimum program will remain the same, if not gets better and more appealing.
    carlyincanada and oscarandme like this.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.... what more can I say........

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This will hurt retail competition in Canada. The Optimum program will disappear and the Shoppers sales prices won't be good anymore (Loblaws, from my experience, is the priciest of all grocery stores).

I am not waiting for mega redemptions anymore. I will spend my points . They need to announce changes to the program, but I'd rather spend them as I need them to avoid a run on SDM shelves. Why save for mega redemptions that may never happen

If they keep Optimum, 20X days may disappear
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Jul 15th, 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    This will hurt retail competition in Canada. The Optimum program will disappear and the Shoppers sales prices won't be good anymore (Loblaws, from my experience, is the priciest of all grocery stores).

I am not waiting for mega redemptions anymore. I will spend my points . They need to announce changes to the program, but I'd rather spend them as I need them to avoid a run on SDM shelves. Why save for mega redemptions that may never happen

If they keep Optimum, 20X days may disappear
    I can not agree more. Less competition and higher prices... It does not look good. And if they will make Optimum similar to PC points then God help us.
    freedomslink.com , a cool homepage!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dammit!
    GeorgiaK and oscarandme like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Saw this on Breakfast television this morning! It will be interesting to see what changes will be made to the Optimum program. Pretty huge news!
    seylz_gurl and oscarandme like this.
    Disney Planner Extraordinaire! - Book your Disney Vacation with us and receive a FREE Disney Gift Card!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    This will hurt retail competition in Canada.

Maybe. Maybe not. We have already added one new player in the game - Target.
    We are just adding more Canadian exposure across the country to compete with the US companies. I like competition. I think consumers win, rather than retailers.

I am not waiting for mega redemptions anymore. I will spend my points .

Maybe you could spend your points on bonus redemption days, and buy gift cards for stores you shop at regularly. That may be a good use of points.
    Yes, Loblaws can be expensive. I have found some deals there. I have also found deals at the other expensive grocery stores - Sobeys and Metro - especially with their loss leaders (flyer items priced very low, to get you into the store).
    walkonby and kristeven like this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information