User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Have You Done Your Will And Power Of Attorney ?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I know I had seen something about the Lung Association and simple wills. It's a paid program but the referral to participating lawyers allows the lawyers to donate the will and POA fees to the Lung Associatin.

This is for Ontario-check your provincial association to see if it offers the same program:
    http://www.on.lung.ca/thewillcampaign?
    About The Will Campaign

The Will Campaign is a program that gives individuals the opportunity to prepare estate plans while supporting The Lung Association. Participating lawyers donate 100% of their fees for preparing Basic Wills and/or Powers of Attorney to The Lung Association’s medical research and community programs.

The cost of a basic Will is $100*.

The cost of a Power of Attorney is $50 for each type: Personal Care (your health) and Continuing Property (your finances).

*Fees for additional services such as setting up a Trust would be additional and would be payable to the attorney.

*Wills and Powers of Attorney must be prepared individually

The Will Campaign opperates year round in the following communitiesBelleville
    Brampton
    Brantford
    Cambridge
    Chatham
    Etobicoke
    Hamilton
    Kingston
    London
    Mississauga
    Niagara Falls
    North York
    Orangeville
    Ottawa
    Sault Ste Marie
    Simcoe
    St. Catharines
    Thorold
    Waterloo
    Welland
    Windsor

To participate in the Will Campaign, you must pre-register to receive a referral to a participating lawyer in your area. To register please contact us at 416-864-9911 ext 257 or 1-888-344-5864 ext 257 or e-mail: [email protected]. To help us with your referral, please specify the community where you live or work.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It seems there is reading for the New Year on the topic of wills:
    http://www.thespec.com/living-story/...troy-a-family/

That's one of the worst cases of sibling rivalry that wills and estates lawyer Les Kotzer has seen, and he's witnessed some doozies. So many that he and partner Barry Fish have written their fourth book, The Wills Lawyers: Their Stories of Money, Inheritance, Greed, Family and Betrayal.
    And it's not just jealous siblings who spark inheritance wars. Issues around second marriages are also notorious for causing heartache after the estate is settled as are simple glitches in the will, poorly worded phrases and assumptions.

I have always wondered how a deceased's home contents and assets were secured until the trustee or family member taking on the executor role could identify all the items specified in the will. However, from reading the news, it's not unheard of family members or kin to help themselves to decor items or jewellery before any such will is even read or the deceased buried or emtombed or cremated.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks for posting! I really needed this reminder. Everyone needs to do this, young and old
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Be careful with Power of Attorney's, some POA's end up committing Financial Abuse as they "Flex" their muscle leaving a victim without money, isolation and lack of social supports.
    Always try to appoint TWO power of Attorneys or more so they have to co-operate as a team in order to get things done. Just a safe way to be!
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We had a similar problem with my father's POA. The bank said they would only recognize it if one of their lawyer's drew it up. Sad but true. When he died the bank, who talked us into a TFSA on the basis that I would be the beneficiary and would not need a will to access the funds, then tried to insist that I couldn't access the money. They really do need a swift kick. Reminds me of the auto sector before the Japanese and others came into North America in a big way. The arrogance of an oligopoly.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A recent talk that included an estate lawyer this week-he recommends that wills get updated every two years (knowing most people will then do that about every 5 years). He says it can take 2-4h to prepare a will.

He also said we all needs powers of attorneys once we are 18 yr old or older. Plus we need to have contracts.

I happened to notice in an e-newsletter that a digital will might be relevant (though the estate lawyer said the executor should be provided with password information when a will and contact list is supplied to him/her) to cover our online assets/pursuits.
    http://contact.actualis.ca/T/OFSYS/M...15313116300000

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Reason why I always try to find the Mountain News when I go for the Internet-I want to see ads and articles that I don't see in my local community paper. The Free Wills month ad is sponsored by Oxfam Canada, Canadian Cancer Society, Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society and Canadian Diabetes Association.

OK, SCers 55 or better in age: if you live in Hamilton, London, Sudbury or Windsor, you can book an appointment with participating lawyers in your area to have a simple will (as defined by the lawyer; you might be charged directly for extra work) done this month (the ad says you can update your Will for free).
    https://freewillsmonth.ca/en/

For the Hamilton/Halton area, the participating lawyers are:
    Connor Connor Guyer & Araiche Professional Corporation (Fennell Ave E., Hamilton)
    Hastings Charlebois (Mainway, Burlington)
    Vandeputte Law Professional Corporation (King St W, Dundas)

Use the free wills link to enter your postal code/email address/name to find out the lawyers in your area.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Oct 9th, 2016 at 11:30 AM.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Its a good reminder, we've done the insurance things but we need a will. Speaking from some experience I learned two things. If you ever take over for guardianship of someone you should keep their money totally separate from yours. My uncle took over my and my sisters care and combined our money with his money and he invested his "extra money" and retired really early like at age 42. Now he told me he'd saved half the money he was given for sister and i and invested it in the 1990s boom and he was going to give back the principle in the form of tuition dollars. Things were muddied and he didn't think he owed me any growth which was particularly ty because well he put me in childrens homes and I wound up homeless at 18 and secondly because he didn't give me 1/4 of the principle. I think he started out taking us on with the right intentions but people get totally crazy sometimes with money and our relationship is completely ruined. So had he just kept the money separate this would have been avoided. Never ever do that to someone with less power than you. Secondly everyone should have their own bank account, even married couples with a few months expenses. My father in law had a few months without access to his bank account when my mother in law passed away because they only had combined accounts. She'd been sick long enough, that every cent in their account he had earned but he couldn't access it while her file was in probate and it took months. He was lucky enough to have family to lend him several thousand dollars to get through the hardship but it's unnecessary just have a little account for yourself....now to get on finding an affordable probate lawyer.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Has anyone tried www.lawdepot.ca ?
    They offer free downloads of the documents, not valid for Quebec.
    Angela273, Ciel, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

no, im still young withh no dpendents
    Ciel and dededi like this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    Has anyone tried www.lawdepot.ca ?
    They offer free downloads of the documents, not valid for Quebec.

Anyone?
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

we have one attached to our wedding contract but we need one in case we ''go together'' because we don,t have kids

otherwise i think everything goes to DH 95yo father....then dh side only.....what would be pretty unfair imho

we were told dh things goes to his side and mine to my side but, that's not always that clear when it'S time to share things.....
    Last edited by Mia001; Thu, Oct 13th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    no, im still young withh no dpendents
    Estate lawyer said everyone 18yr of age or older needs at least the powers of attorney done. The documents speak for you when you cannot speak for yourself. Imagine how many post-secondary students' parents probably want such documents so they can deal with health issues or finances if their offspring gets stuck in hospital or has a health problem while at school.

Not that I have done the documents myself-I have the problem of figuring out who'd I'd want to deal with things in accordance with my wishes. Mom won't be able to do everything.
    Mia001 likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    A recent talk that included an estate lawyer this week-he recommends that wills get updated every two years (knowing most people will then do that about every 5 years). He says it can take 2-4h to prepare a will.

He also said we all needs powers of attorneys once we are 18 yr old or older. Plus we need to have contracts.

I happened to notice in an e-newsletter that a digital will might be relevant (though the estate lawyer said the executor should be provided with password information when a will and contact list is supplied to him/her) to cover our online assets/pursuits.
    http://contact.actualis.ca/T/OFSYS/M...15313116300000
    Sounds to me like that estate lawyer is drumming up business.......I think it's important to review your will and documents annually, but unless your family or beneficiary situation changes, you shouldn't have to be updating your will every 2 years......
    Last edited by redhdlois; Mon, Oct 17th, 2016 at 12:13 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I am almost (other than the legalizing) finished my will, Executor and Enduring POA's (two POA's, one a trust company, the other my BFF).

More importantly IMO, was completing my Representation Agreement and Advance Directive....which took my a very long time....there wasn't a lot of assistance out there in completing an Advance Directive....
    Ciel likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information