User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

(updated info, see my posting Jul.30)

Yes, i know there is a thread dedicated to the Wolverine Promo (buy select Fox Blu-rays for $10 and get a voucher to see the new "The Wolverine" movie) -- and I posted this same warning in that thread, I felt it was important to call attention to the warning just the same.

Basically if you buy specially marked Fox Blu-rays, you get a redemption code to redeem for a voucher to see The Wolverine in theatres.

This offer is being promoted by Future Shop and Best Buy, but I've seen the same display and offers setup at Walmart and other stores that sell Blu-rays.

WARNING ABOUT THIS WOLVERINE PROMO

This is seemingly a Cineplex centric promotion. If you are served by a Cineplex theatre, you will be able to redeem your offer on their website for an instant movie-ticket to see The Wolverine. However, there is a special section on the site for people in Atlantic Canada.

If you live in Atlantic Canada (served exclusively by Empire Theatres) you will NOT likely get to enjoy this offer. Here's why...

I just submitted my claim for this promo and received a result that stated I will be MAILED a movie ticket. (not digital download, nor print at home lime most other similar offers)

The last TWO times I did this, it was 8-10 weeks before I got the voucher in the mail, and the movie was here and gone by then. And the voucher was NOT redeemable for another movie.

In one such case, I had an unopened Blu-ray, and was able to refund it. (the promo offer was handed to me at the register)

In the other case, my local FutureShop manager made good and offered me a FS gift card for the value of movie voucher (unable to refund an open Blu-ray some 70 days after the fact).
    But that was at the local manager's discretion. No assurances that you would be so lucky at your local store. Either way, that doesn't resolve that I didnt get to redeem my offer appropriately nor as advertised.

so a HUGE WARNING to anyone in Atlantic Canada considering this promo. Expect a delay in receiving your vouchers by mail.

Buyer Beware

--

UPDATE:

My voucher arrived in record time. I received it one week after submitting my code.

So for Atlantic Canadians (ONLY), we get a general movie-voucher for Empire Theatres sent by mail. AND -- It's not specific to The Wolverine, so even if yours arrives late in the mail, you can use it for another movie. Plus it is valid for a full value (ie: The original offers was up to $10 off... this voucher has no value, so if your admission is $12, it will cover the entire amount -- 3D surcharge not included)

Also, this voucher is not "pass restricted" meaning you can use it even if a film is marked as "no passes allowed"
    This thread is currently associated with: Cineplex & Scene Rewards, Future Shop, Walmart
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Jul 30th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Aren't Empire Theatres now owned by Cineplex.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12853451/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not yet. The sale was announced only in the last couple of weeks, but the transaction is far from complete... and so would be any implementation of transaction processing and the like.

My warning comes of experience just today trying to redeem to code I have, so it's not suspect, it's factual. How long it takes to arrive in the mail is obviously undetermined, but precedent shows it will be several weeks.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (89%)

thank you for the heads up

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

BTW: If I receive my voucher in the mail in a timely fashion, I will update this thread -- but based on past experience, I'm not holding my breath.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Updating this as promised:

My voucher arrived in record time. I received it one week after submitting my code.

So for Atlantic Canadians (ONLY), we get a general movie-voucher for Empire Theatres sent by mail. AND -- It's not specific to The Wolverine, so even if yours arrives late in the mail, you can use it for another movie. Plus it is valid for a full value (ie: The original offers was up to $10 off... this voucher has no value, so if your admission is $12, it will cover the entire amount -- 3D surcharge not included)

Also, this voucher is not "pass restricted" meaning you can use it even if a film is marked as "no passes allowed"

Thread Information