User Tag List

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree4745Likes

Thread: August Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

What do you think? Cheap mommy? Or smart?[/QUOTE]

Definitely "SMART" - and he seems to love the idea! You Smart Canuck, you!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    It all depends on the housing corporation that looks after it. Some places are very strict and you have to meet certain criteria. Other places go only by making you pay a percentage of your take-home pay, not necessarily poor people.

Of course, some people do manage to cheat the system. If the person owns their own business, there's a good chance a lot of the revenues are under the table, so on the books, he doesn't make any money. You'd be surprised at how many people get away with that. I personally know someone who declares his salary as being 15K a year on his tax returns, yet he owns a business with 7 employees, can afford a new truck every two years, and goes away 2 weekends a month travelling to motor-cross events in the US.
    When we lived in Lloydminster and just had our son, we got into a CMHC townhouse - you had to meet the income criteria to qualify (I think then it was under $30k), but after that if you had more income, it didn't matter.
    To me, that really didn't seem fair...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Lisa View Post
    Yesterday I found some luck! we needed a new blanket for our dog crate so we ran into goodwill, they had a deal on that was 75% off 'green tags'. We thought sweet!! Just find a green tag blanket and we are set, walking through the store I was able to find 1 lululemon top (looks brand new) marked at $3 green tag, a sweater for dh for camping $3 green tag, Capri jogging pants $2 green tag, shorts for dd $3 * not green tag, but they look brand new. And an NHL comforter (in brand new condition) $8 green tag. We paid $7!! I was super excited!

Our ds asked us if he can have the NHL blanket and give the dogs his spare comforter. We have washed it twice and I'm hanging it out to dry, I will likely Lysol fabric spray it too before I let him use it. But I couldn't say no, he is super into hockey and his spare blanket is a Thomas the tank engine (he is 9, he grew out Thomas years ago). I am debating that that makes me the 'cheap mom' because I am giving him a comforter that I ultimately paid $2 for but I really think it's alright because it's in really good shape and I washed it well.

What do you think? Cheap mommy? Or smart?
    Great find, definitely smart and frugal mommy!

I have no problem giving my son used items (even as gifts) and used clothing, etc as long as it looks new or like new.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I wonder if they have just as much disposable income because they`re paying less for housing than most people.
    This is what I was thinking. and wondering if they have been honest with subsidy as well? Does subsidy know that their children are not living with them? Are either of them working and not disclosing income? It seems that their income is higher than expected and rent lower than expected which should not be the case at all.

For the short time I was on OW and in subsidized housing, I received very little for 1 adult and 1 child and in turn paid very little for my housing. BUT I still had NOTHING left over at the end of the month after paying for the essentials - food (using coupons and PM still of course), diapers/formula/baby food, utilities (gas and hydro), home phone, internet, car insurance....

I did not have cable/satellite, cell phone, xbox360/ps3, or a nice stainless steel bbq. I very, very rarely spent money on anything extra like eating out, etc because it just wasn't there to spend. All the furniture I had was given to me by family, my sons clothes were gifts or given to me by a friend. My dad or aunt would often come to visit and bring me a box of food or bag of fresh produce as they knew I was struggling.

I'm sorry J&C but this couple does not seem to be struggling at all in my opinion. In all honestly if that's the case and they are choosing to spend their money on ps3, satellite, and stainless steel bbq over clothing, food and bedroom furniture to get their children back from CAS... it makes me think that they could care less about getting their children back or not.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Hi Ladies,
    You can get a FREE Yop through Save.ca
    Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/LifeMadeDel...25359030946552
    It's loading slowly but it works.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    Great find, definitely smart and frugal mommy!

I have no problem giving my son used items (even as gifts) and used clothing, etc as long as it looks new or like new.
    Totally! Two years ago I gave my son a box of used toys that I had purchased online......he loved them!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I have to admit I have often wondered how subsidized housing works, what are the requirements. I know locally there is one guy that lives in subsidized housing yet he owns a local business and is driving a newer BMW (probably a couple years old now) and if you see him out shopping when he goes to pay he pulls out wads of cash (we are talking 50s and 100s).

Just makes me wonder as the town is always going on about the fact we do not have enough subsidized housing for the need and have even turned a few motels into subsidized apartments but you have people living in subsidized housing who seems to be living the high life.
    This is exactly how business owners have a "low income" to get into subsidized housing. So say the business yearly income is $80,000. That BMW car loan is probably at least $10,000 a year... deducted from those profits. If he is renting/leasing his business location, that's another $15,000 at least per year... deducted from those profits. Utilities are probably closer to $4,000 for the year... deduct that from those profits. Office supplies, furniture, computers, laptops, tvs, etc can all be written off and deducted from those profits. Health insurance and dental visits $4,000 a year... deducted from those profits. Anytime that business owner goes to eat a restaurant, or out for a beer to 10.... "client meeting"... deduct from those profits. I've seen this to be $1,000 per month or more. Professional insurance, car insurance... $7,000+ for the year... deduct that from the profits. Gas for that automobile.... another $7,000+ per year... deducted from profits.

His "net income" is now only approx. $20,000 for the year (without deducting any expenses for office supplies, furniture, computers, laptops, etc) AND without deducting any employee's salaries.

Business owners are often in the negative on their income tax returns, but in reality a lot of their essentials are paid for (car, insurance, health benefits, food...)

It all depends on the housing corporation that looks after it. Some places are very strict and you have to meet certain criteria. Other places go only by making you pay a percentage of your take-home pay, not necessarily poor people.

Of course, some people do manage to cheat the system. If the person owns their own business, there's a good chance a lot of the revenues are under the table, so on the books, he doesn't make any money. You'd be surprised at how many people get away with that. I personally know someone who declares his salary as being 15K a year on his tax returns, yet he owns a business with 7 employees, can afford a new truck every two years, and goes away 2 weekends a month travelling to motor-cross events in the US.
    In the City I live in, it is all based on your income.

Not sure what the criteria is for getting in bu I know when I did start working, as a single mom still, I was making roughly $2,000 per month and paying the maximum $800 per month for my unit (so technically even though I was in a subsidized unit, subsidy was NOT paying any portion of my rent at this point).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

We use a Costco giftcard. My husband is the one who goes to Costco because it's the only place where he can get paper coffee cups for his club. I made arrangements with a friend to get a Costco giftcard, so no membership is required. When the balance gets very low, I go back with my friend to add more funds to it.

Apart from the (small) hassle of getting a supervisor to authorize the purchase, it works well. We don't buy enough at Costco to justify the $55. I believe I've honed my shopping skills enough by now that I can get the same or better deals at other stores.
    What are some of the things you buy at Costco that you find cheaper than anywhere else? My list is starting to get smaller and smaller.

We used to buy roasts and pork loins there but I have been getting better deals at groceries stores when on sale.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Here's my update/plan for meals at the moment. FYI: I am up right now because LO doesn't want to go to sleep in his crib right now.

Sunday: Deer roast (from dad), gravy, fresh garden potatoes (dug a few plants that afternoon), tossed salad (out of the garden: lettuce, swisschard, green onion, cherry tomatoes. Out of the fridge: carrot, celery), roasted carrots, db brought a bottle of coke to go with it. I had a Chapman's ice cream sandwich for desert.

Monday: dh made hamburger helper with a little tinkering, cheap HH, free ground beef, 1/2 price sourcream.

Tuesday: invited to a friend's house for supper. She admitted that she had a nap and woke up 1/2hr before meal time, so ordered in. We had Domino's pizza, wings, cheese bread, with a glass of milk. I brought home made rhubarb muffins for desert.

Wednesday: plan on making deer stew with the leftovers: deer roast, gravy, pot barley, carrots, celery, spices (wish I had yellow onions, but Sobeys did not get in their sale onions last week and didn't have them in yesterday for me to use my raincheck). Again, with a glass of milk.

Thursday: kabobs: marinated steak, mushrooms, celery, young zucchini (from the garden), again wishing for inexpensive yellow onions, with rice and a glass of milk.

Friday: invited back over for supper to the same friend's house because she wants to try cooking that meal for us again.

We are looking at making lasagne on the weekend, but our Sobeys location was out of cottage cheese...so I'll have to try and pick that up another day.

That is as far as I have planned at this point.
    Thanks for sharing We have been lacking inspiration for our meal plans lately.

It is just me and DH for the next 4 nights so not sure what all we will have. We just ate out last night and wanting to take IL's out for dinner on Sunday night as they won't get home from camping in time to make dinner and they have had DS all week... so this means no take out/fastfood for the next 4 nights!

So far this is what I'm thinking but may change....

Steak/Chicken breasts with baked potato and a frozen veggie probably
    Homemade hamburgers and a nice tossed salad
    Chicken and veggie stir fry
    Homemade pizza

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Question on my mind: Is that possible to be nice with nasty neigboors? In the upcoming year I plan a lots of things to be done and accomplish and dealing with those people who have no life and want to make mine miserable is not part of that...Like hidding a garbage bins,what mental age you are(she is 64 years old btw),I never seen that and to me is just energy wasted to repeat the same thing who is defenitelly not understand...kind of tired of this delema...lol
    Crochetlady and jasperandchar like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Life Made Delicious Facebook page has an FPC that connects to save.ca right now.

I am having difficulties with it, but it is supposed to be a free bottle of Yop.

edit: Just now finished ordering this coupon.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Aug 7th, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hey all well its a frugal day at my house -cleaning up in my basement -looking for more items to put on kijiji-so I went out front to chat to hubby -he was painting trim-and neighbour came over "asked me if I wanted a wooden shelf or its going to dump" oh yeah =now I knew that hubby doesn't want more stuff coming into house -but my laundry soap is on the floor in basement-so I took this patio table -plastic from like 10 years ago I only stored junk, old rags and a few other items on it -well put it on kijjj and sold for 7.00 in a few minutes time -they are coming tonight-hey something came in something went out-this wooden stand is awesome too -one day I will take a picture of my stockpile-oh yeah our car insurance went down too 49.00 so got a cheque for that-oh yeah I am happy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

opps forgot to tell you the neighbour that gave me free wooden stand-his wife also told me -I won the candy prize from buying a ticket from their teenage daughter (for her sports team)cost me 5.00-dont have the basket yet -cant wait

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    This is what I was thinking. and wondering if they have been honest with subsidy as well? Does subsidy know that their children are not living with them? Are either of them working and not disclosing income? It seems that their income is higher than expected and rent lower than expected which should not be the case at all.

For the short time I was on OW and in subsidized housing, I received very little for 1 adult and 1 child and in turn paid very little for my housing. BUT I still had NOTHING left over at the end of the month after paying for the essentials - food (using coupons and PM still of course), diapers/formula/baby food, utilities (gas and hydro), home phone, internet, car insurance....

I did not have cable/satellite, cell phone, xbox360/ps3, or a nice stainless steel bbq. I very, very rarely spent money on anything extra like eating out, etc because it just wasn't there to spend. All the furniture I had was given to me by family, my sons clothes were gifts or given to me by a friend. My dad or aunt would often come to visit and bring me a box of food or bag of fresh produce as they knew I was struggling.

I'm sorry J&C but this couple does not seem to be struggling at all in my opinion. In all honestly if that's the case and they are choosing to spend their money on ps3, satellite, and stainless steel bbq over clothing, food and bedroom furniture to get their children back from CAS... it makes me think that they could care less about getting their children back or not.
    thanks for taking the time to share your own experiences and opinion. Only the baby lives with them so I'm told??? And they both don't work as far as a I know I see them posting face book game requests and such. I still have stuff for them in the garage and I am torn about what to do, I would never keep the items for me as I am not like that but wonder if I should deliver them to them or just bring them to a thrift store for them so sell. I will talk to dh when he gets home and get his opinion. I'm just upset as I thought I was doing something great and in the end feel like I have been lied to and taken advantage of.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Well ladies, DH and I arrived home last night from 4 days of camping while 8 months pregnant. Luckily I survived and didn't even need to get up through the night to pee which DH is thankful for! Haven't calculated all our expenses yet for the trip but we did end up spending an extra $34 as we split 4 ways with IL's, BIL and DH's cousins on a large 15x15 sunshade for our dining area which will be a nice investment in the long run. Luckily they ended up choosing the one that was 40% off as they originally wanted to purchase the one that was $249 not on sale which would have been twice as much.

Anyways, IL's kept DS for the rest of the week camping so we are going to take advantage and try to get lots finished in the basement as we were really busy right before we left for camping. Tonight our aim is to finish painting the ceiling (2 coats), finish grouting the 2 tiles that came up and had to be glued back down, trim around the one window and carpet steam cleaned.

Tomorrow night we are hoping to bring over our furniture that is being stored at DH's parents and start cleaning out the bedroom and getting it ready to be painted this weekend.

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information