User Tag List

Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree4745Likes

Thread: August Frugal chatter

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    sweet sparrow, not that I'm an expert by any means, but I do remember reading in the Tightwad Gazette that the author would scrape the "solids" into the toilet, and throw the soiled diapers in a pail with water to soak. Then, when she did a load of laundry, she'd drained dirty water out of the the bucket and put everything in the washing machine.

Now, she was using the plain cloth diapers. You know the one that are a piece of cloth that you fold so many times depending on the size of the baby?

The only time I've bought diapers was when redeeming SDM points and buying supplies for the food bank. Those disposibles are expensive!
    Yes, we're doing that. We have the plain cloth diapers and we're hoping to borrow a few more from friends.

Disposables certainly are expensive! I haven't bought any myself yet. We got a free sample pack from the hospital, and a few more from being part of VIB at SDM. When we've worked through those, I may start to worry a bit. A dear friend gave me her extra size 1s and 2s and she is doing the same, cloth in the day and disposable at night or on outings.

I've had to do one load already on peak energy time just to have enough and also had to go through one day already of disposables because the cloth weren't dry at the time. If this keeps up, I'm wondering if the cost of washing the cloth will even out the cost of buying disposable. When LO grows out of the newborn size, we'll have a lot more cloth diapers borrowed, so it'll be much better.

Does anyone who's cloth diapered know how long it takes for a baby to grow out of the newborn size of cloth to the regular adjustable size?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    That's amazing! Congratulations! That's a good reason to shop for new clothes.

I still have my pregnancy tummy but I was down 10 lbs after LO was born. I don't have scale at home so I'm watching and waiting for my baby bump to disappear before I weigh myself and find out how much more I have to go. Does anyone remember how long it takes the baby roundness to go away?
    For me with DS1 I gained 30 lbs. during the pregnancy and lost it all (plus more) within 2 weeks after giving birth. I have heard it can take people a lot longer though, everyone is different.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Well there goes my plan of no take out for the rest of this week! DH and I both weren't hungry after work yesterday so got right to work in the basement... then ended up ordering pizza and wings at 8 last night.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I'm reading your posts as I speed along on Via Rail on my way with my brother to visit my OTHER brother's family in Kitchener. You only get WiFi on the Chatham to London run, as that is the part that's on the "Windsor to Montreal" corridor. In London, we have to switch trains to head up to Kitchener.

I like the train, but I always forget that I only have a restricted amount of stuff I can bring and they have a new "Baggage Policy" now - only 2 bags weighing 25lb. or less and a personal carry on.

I'm looking forward to going to the market in Waterloo either tomorrow or Sat. Also, I can go to "The Bay" and "Talize" besides getting together with my family - special hugs for nephews - and some friends I haven't seen in ages.

May not be a frugal 4 days - but db and I brought snacks and drinks on the train with us.

I married a lovely couple on the beach near Rondeau Provincial Park last night. It was lovely. They had built a "Labyrinth" which we walked through to perform the ceremony. I also go 3 calls about future weddings in the last 24 hours. I hope they all confirm. I LOVE my job! People with such unique circumstances! There were people there last night from New York (city), North Carolina, Guelph, Ont. and Kitchener, Ont. as well as Columbus Ohio and yet it was a very small gathering. Amazing how family tends to spread out! Luckily, we usually get a chance to catch up with them!

We went to visit my mil in the nursing home today before I left and she was quite excited that a "nice man" had taken her for a walk outside today. We've been asking if someone could do this on days when we can't get there. She really enjoys seeing the gardens and getting outside. The "man" was the assistant paster for the home. She said she felt like maybe she shouldn't go with him because someone might see them and "Get the wrong idea - he's MARRIED, you know!" It made me smile. We assured her that it was perfectly appropriate because it was his job to help the residents.

Well, gonna say, "adios" for now! Keep thinking frugal!
    Have a great time visiting family & catching up. Very kind that your MIL is being taken care of and brought outside on the days you cannot visit.
    Crochetlady and SassyAshley like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Question:
    Not knowing if it is because my bff have took the pc that the links and all the historic are gone or because I cleared the cookies(first time doing that) because the yop giveaway.Is that something that can have a link?That suck because I have all my favorites link adress gone
    Cath007 I really am no help with this situation as I am not good with pc's, hope things work themselves out.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Morning All

Part of me is so happy it is Thursday but the other part of me is like urggggg cause I have to work this weekend. Not really sure what is up but I have been having a bit of trouble sleeping (but nothing serious, I have had insomnia before and this is not insomnia) and I wake up so tired. I have actually cut my hours back a bit at work as I cannot get up in the morning to be here as early as I normally am. Luckily I do not technically start until 8 but am usually here between 6 and 6:30 but this week has been 7. Thinking I might go out after work tomorrow and pick up some melatonine (sp?) I have been trying to put it off cause I do not like the idea of anything but since the long weekend did not help and in the next 3 weeks 2 of them I am working Saturday which means only 1 day a week off I may have to suck it up and try it.

Looking at the weekend still do not have finalized plans so not sure how the budget will fair. Still waiting on word of when my guy might get out, he has spoken with the doctor who has not done the paperwork to release him but at the same time they are not giving him any reasons that they are keeping him. Hoping he is out for the weekend but only time will tell.
    It might be stress and worry about your guy and maybe work that is causing you not to sleep? Have you tried "sleepy time tea" it works wonders, it's natural & I think is worth a try. Hoping your guy gets out when the doctors are sure everything is in the clear and he is able to go home.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good morning Ladies, has anyone had a chance to look at the flyers starting today/tomorrow? Anything that you are stocking up on or purchasing at a reasonable price & feel like sharing?

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post

Does anyone who's cloth diapered know how long it takes for a baby to grow out of the newborn size of cloth to the regular adjustable size?
    I found around the three month mark. My girls were tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    For me with DS1 I gained 30 lbs. during the pregnancy and lost it all (plus more) within 2 weeks after giving birth. I have heard it can take people a lot longer though, everyone is different.
    If it takes 9 months to gain, then give yourself at least 9 months. Nursing really helps contract your tummy, mine was back to "normal" after a month with the second. Sooner with first. My tummy was never flat, always curvy, so everyone's "normal" will be different. Several of my friends had trouble saying good-bye to their pre-pregancy tummy because it was never quite the same. I was much more self-conscious about my tummy before pregnancy than after.

Having a lazy day. May not get dressed.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Good morning Ladies, has anyone had a chance to look at the flyers starting today/tomorrow? Anything that you are stocking up on or purchasing at a reasonable price & feel like sharing?
    I'm not seeing a lot as far as good sales go this week
    There are a few things I am going to stock up on though.

Five Alive/Fruitopia .97 @ NF
    Royale Facial Tissues 3.97 @ NF -$1 coupon
    Allen's Apple Juice .97@ NF
    Bacon $2 @ GT (depends on how fatty it is)
    Ground Beef $2.29/lb @ Superstore
    HB Pencils .25/ pk of 10 @ Superstore
    Clear Shampoo $3.62 - $3 coupon @ WM (This is for the Church Ladies Foodbank project)
    Milk
    Fruit & Veggies

That's it for me. Not many coupons to be used this week.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Hi All, I am officially pissed off, I just saw that the guy in "project freshstart" responded to a post on a for sale site to purchase a turtle for $50.00 or best offer. I am no longer sitting on the fence, I will be donating the items to another charity - thinking the ladies shelter in town. I am really hurt especially with them telling me they had no $ to purchase a crib or anything else. SO it's official the gravy train has come to a complete hault. On a more positive note I have tidied up most of the house & am so anxious to see my dh, ds#1, ds#2 and Chester the puppy. Dh, Ds#2 and chester have been gone since Friday last week and I miss them all to pieces. I have to have a talk with my ds#2 about his turtle tank as there is a swarm of fruit flies on his tank and they are making there way throughout the house. I think the problem is he has been picking fresh berries for his turtle and putting the excess in his room to dry, so it looks like he will have to dry his fruit outside and put the berries in the freezer or mason jars for later use. It poured rain here last night and I was really really planning on getting back on staining the house but the window sills are still damp....so I think this may turn into an evening project if I am up to it but time will tell. This weekend dh has invited his friends that he went to college with to the cottage for the weekend, they sleep in tents and clean up after themselves so it shouldn't be much of a chore for us and dh has made this a yearly event with his CYW classmates - this will be year 4, man time flies. Hope everyone has a great day and evening.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

I have a question on baking bread for those of you who make their own bread.

I have 2 recipes for white bread. The first one uses 3 Tbsp of dry active yeast 8 cups of flour and 3 cups of water. This recipe uses the sponge method, where you add all the liquid, yeast , sugar and half the flour at once without proofing the yeast. Let it sit for 1 hr til it bubbles, then add the remaining flour and let rise a second time before forming into loaves.

The second recipes is from the Purity Cook book and uses the standard method of proofing 2 pkg of dry active yeast ( 4.5 tsp, not 3Tbsp as the other recipe), 3 cups of liquid (milk & water) and nearly 10 cups of flour. This one makes 4 loaves, the other recipe makes 3.

My question is, can I use the sponge method with the second recipe to make the dough?
    I find that method so much easier as I use my Cuisinart mixer to knead the dough.
    I don't understand why the first recipe takes so much yeast.
    Any thoughts ??
    Last edited by dreamcatcher1962; Thu, Aug 8th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Crochetlady and jasperandchar like this.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thanks for the reminder, I picked some up a little while ago knowing at some point my insomnia will come back, I will look for it tonight and try it.

I am pretty sure it is stress induced, hoping things calm down a little soon.

It might be stress and worry about your guy and maybe work that is causing you not to sleep? Have you tried "sleepy time tea" it works wonders, it's natural & I think is worth a try. Hoping your guy gets out when the doctors are sure everything is in the clear and he is able to go home.
    I have taken a quick look and saw somethings I wanted but with that being said not sure I will have shopping time this weekend so we will have to wait and see how the weekend goes.

Crochetlady and jasperandchar like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

That is really ty of them! Your heart was in the right place Nancy, just remember that. Sending you a hug.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    That is really crappy of them! Your heart was in the right place Nancy, just remember that. Sending you a hug.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    That is really ty of them! Your heart was in the right place Nancy, just remember that. Sending you a hug.
    thanks hun I appreciate it your kind words, I just can't believe the nerve of some people I think that's what really hurts they gave me the sob story about the 4 kids staying/living with her mom and that they needed all this stuff and all that and I fell for it. Well I know my heart was in the right place, however, I got played and that's what really bothers me - that I went above and beyond for complete strangers and they have $ for turtles, stainless steel bbq and who know what else. I will always be willing to help someone in need but now I will only do it through organized venues (church, ladies shelter, food bank).

Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread Information