User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lghend

Thread: Sobeys ground beef rant

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I went into Sobeys on the weekend, to purchase ground beef that was on sale. But when I looked at the packages of hamburger, I saw that they had all been done yesterday. I wasn't going to use it that day, so I asked one of the staff in the meat department if there was any from today, he said, "No, we're not putting it out until this stuff is gone." I went back again around lunchtime, still yesterday's meat was all they had.

Aren't grocery stores supposed to have ground beef that is ground fresh daily? Superstore marks the stuff down if it's from yesterday, apparently Sobeys waits until folks who aren't paying attention buy it at regular price before they provide any fresh product. Grr.
    This thread is currently associated with: Mark's, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Sobeys

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

WOW that is interesting considering I had a fight with Sobey's head office over the fact that when ground beef goes on sale here they do not put the blood pads in the container and they bleed all over. I was told the reason for this is that they grind their meat multiple times a day and they are packaged for sale that day only so the blood pads are not needed.

In the same day I bought ground beef at Sobey's and Zehrs, Sobey's packages bleed all over, Zehrs did not, I will now pay $0.01 - $0.02/lb more for the blood pads.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They don't have to put any more out but they definitely should be giving you the fresh pack you asked for if they have some available. Contact head office.
    Angela273 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you are not going to use it, why not just put it in the freezer

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcon View Post
    if you are not going to use it, why not just put it in the freezer
    Because I planned to make a big batch of burgers with it, grill them on the bbq and freeze them. Just did not have time to do it that day, and certainly did not have time to freeze it for a few days, defrost it for another day, THEN make my burgers.

My family does not own a car, but we had one rented on the weekend; I wanted to buy it while doing my other shopping while we had the vehicle. Making a separate trip later in the week would be a PITA, wanted to do all my shopping at once.

Thread Information