User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: RAOK, paying it forward

Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Thank you to all the SC'er out here who have helped me, who have taught me, who have showed me how to save money. Ive been living paycheque to paycheque for many many years and while Im still nowhere near financially awesome, I do have a bit of wiggle room.
    Tonight my daughter had to run in to Zehrs. As we sat in parking lot a young couple (25?) walked up. They were thin, dirty, dreadlocks, with a hitchhiking sign and a cute thin hungry looking dog. Ive been there. I WAS them when I was 15. I jumped out of my car, grabbed my coupon bag and went over. The girl had gone in but the guy was outside, I told him to sit tight.
    Inside I grabbed a bag of fresh apples, some fresh oranges, two big bottles of water and two bags of dog treats for the puppy.
    When I gave the bag to them the girl seemed a bit y (whatever) the guy said thank you so much for my help and the dog? Well he seemed OVERJOYED with the Pedigree treats!!! Cant forget about those poor animals.
    Anyway, I just wanted to share...I DID use a pedigree coupon but the rest I paid full price..and THIS time? Paying full price felt GOOD.
    This thread is currently associated with: Zehrs

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherWake View Post
    Thank you to all the SC'er out here who have helped me, who have taught me, who have showed me how to save money. Ive been living paycheque to paycheque for many many years and while Im still nowhere near financially awesome, I do have a bit of wiggle room.
    Tonight my daughter had to run in to Zehrs. As we sat in parking lot a young couple (25?) walked up. They were thin, dirty, dreadlocks, with a hitchhiking sign and a cute thin hungry looking dog. Ive been there. I WAS them when I was 15. I jumped out of my car, grabbed my coupon bag and went over. The girl had gone in but the guy was outside, I told him to sit tight.
    Inside I grabbed a bag of fresh apples, some fresh oranges, two big bottles of water and two bags of dog treats for the puppy.
    When I gave the bag to them the girl seemed a bit y (whatever) the guy said thank you so much for my help and the dog? Well he seemed OVERJOYED with the Pedigree treats!!! Cant forget about those poor animals.
    Anyway, I just wanted to share...I DID use a pedigree coupon but the rest I paid full price..and THIS time? Paying full price felt GOOD.
    The girl may have been suspicious -- she may have been treated badly in the past and finds it difficult to trust and so, she had her guard up. The dog and the guy were grateful though. Two out of three isn't bad. And later, the girl will probably be thankful, long after she has seen you -- but won't be around to tell you so.

Nice one.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

that is absolutely amazing (: It inspires me to do the same! WTG!
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Thank you...yes she was probably suspicious. Its funny...when I was 15 I was that girl...panhandling, living on the street, crazy wild hair, punk makeup...bad bad girl. It feels good to start giving back. I do RAOK all the time in the Tim Hortons drive through, and also giving change to "hobos" at stoplights...but this was the first time I actually BOUGHT something specifically for someone less fortunate. Like I said, Im farrrr from fortunate and up til 4 months ago was going to foodbanks myself to feed my kids. But its an amazing feeling to help someone whether they were grateful or not, it wasnt done for the praise....(thats what I come HERE for!! LMAO!!!!)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

great job - it's a great feeling when you help someone out, awesome RAOK indeed for the couple & the pet.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

that was so thoughtful - inspiring

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thank you...yes she was probably suspicious. Its funny...when I was 15 I was that girl...panhandling, living on the street, crazy wild hair, punk makeup...bad bad girl. It feels good to start giving back. I do RAOK all the time in the Tim Hortons drive through, and also giving change to "hobos" at stoplights...but this was the first time I actually BOUGHT something specifically for someone less fortunate. Like I said, Im farrrr from fortunate and up til 4 months ago was going to foodbanks myself to feed my kids. But its an amazing feeling to help someone whether they were grateful or not, it wasnt done for the praise....(thats what I come HERE for!! LMAO!!!!)
    Hmmmm... Great self analysis, you've done:

From panhandling (needing help from strangers)>> to food bank >> to self sufficiency (with coupons when needed) >> to helping at Timmys (random act of kindness)>> to buying food for strangers (providing help to strangers)

Hope your children get as much out of this instance as you have. They are probably very proud of you.

Great full circle journey*!! Circle of life...

*Shakespeare: "The wheel [of fortune] has come full circle. I am here." (King Lear, Act 5, Scene 3)
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Aug 5th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Big hug to you for your kindness!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

awesome you are wonderfull -to give back -we all try to do that I think as scer's -I donated last year too- to a womens shelter
    lilo0003, ashoo, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

WOW, that is a great brag and yes, you are a great person to do that. Thank you for sharing...
    lilo0003 and HeatherWake like this.

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Thanks, you are awesome and giving inspiration to me to pay it forward.
    lilo0003 and HeatherWake like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thank you so much for your ROAK. It's inspiring me to do something special for others today....
    I joined Swagbucks and I earn money!!! I just fill in a survey when I have my morning coffee, and I recently received a $20 cheque in the mail You can join too!!!

www.swagbucks.com/refer/sparkystarky

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

That is touching to read. You really know how they are feeling and gave them a hand up. It never ceases to amaze me how much couponing can change a person's life--from dependency to self-sufficiency to paying it forward. Wow . Kudos to you. Thanks for sharing.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I really liked the way you helped!!! Very inspiring. I always like to make sure that someone is fed rather than handing them change out of the stores... as it might go into addiction and not filling their stomach with real and healthy food! WTG!
    HeatherWake likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

RAOK at Tims is the BEST! haha My jaw always drops when someone does it for me. It's a great gesture!
    HeatherWake likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information