• 1 Post By CanadianCouponCollector
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By itsmewhoelse

Thread: small room tip please !!

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

I need you wonderful SCers help !
    DF DD and I lived with my parents while I was in school (so nice of them ). We lived in a house , with bigger bathrooms and big rooms so no problem there..
    We now moved in our adorable apartment and I find we are running into a little problem. It's not bothering DF so much.. but he's a man, things like that don't bother them.

So, DF JUST cleaned our bathroom like a day ago, and I find it's still dingy and humid in there. We open the fan with every shower, I clean the bathmat more regularly than I clean my own bed () yet it's so dingy.. It just never feels clean in there.. I'm about to go javel the whole thing just so it smells clean for a minute .. any tips ??

small room problem number 2 : Our third bedroom (which we will be making into the nursery in 2-3 months) has some boxes to be undone and the cat litter. DF empties it every day or so, sweeps an mops around the box and it's still smelly in that room.. I use the the small room OR multi cat litter (we have 2 ) and it doesn't seem to stay fresh ... any tips here ??

Thanks so much in advance ..
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Problem number 1: I am not sure what to suggest. We have a small bathroom (take my word for it) and I don't have this problem.

Problem number 2: Have you tried putting baking soda at the bottom of the box each time it is emptied? This will help with the smell and any pee that gets to the bottom of the box.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Problem number 1: I am not sure what to suggest. We have a small bathroom (take my word for it) and I don't have this problem.

Problem number 2: Have you tried putting baking soda at the bottom of the box each time it is emptied? This will help with the smell and any pee that gets to the bottom of the box.
    Thank you

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

hehe i was gonna suggest baking soda as well

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Small bathroom- try the décor- one neutral colour on the walls (not white), and plain white shower curtain, candles, towels, etc. Oh and a huge mirror (no frame) above the sink. No flowers or nicnacs. I did this in a small bathroom a few years back and it was the best thing ever. The walls were a light sage kind of colour. Cupboard below the sink was white also. My current bathroom is about the same size as my previous small one, but we aren't allowed to paint, so it's a dingy white/yellow colour. It only kinda feels clean at any point and time.

Kitty litter- I use a covered box- the one with the little swing door and the charcoal filter that goes in the top. Along with multi-cat litter and baking soda. My son scoops it daily and I dump it and scrub it once a week. We don't smell it at all and we have two cats.

Hope you get some kind of information from this that you can use!
    tasha313 likes this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post
    So, DF JUST cleaned our bathroom like a day ago, and I find it's still dingy and humid in there. We open the fan with every shower, I clean the bathmat more regularly than I clean my own bed () yet it's so dingy.. It just never feels clean in there.. I'm about to go javel the whole thing just so it smells clean for a minute .. any tips ??

small room problem number 2 : Our third bedroom (which we will be making into the nursery in 2-3 months) has some boxes to be undone and the cat litter. DF empties it every day or so, sweeps an mops around the box and it's still smelly in that room.. I use the the small room OR multi cat litter (we have 2 ) and it doesn't seem to stay fresh ... any tips here ??
    #1 - Is there a window in the bathroom? Is there mold in the caulking? A spray down with a bleach solution may help, especially if you give it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush. DH may have to do this if you're pregnant. You can sniff the drains to see if the smell is coming from something decomposing there. Either baking soda with hot water may help or you can use some Draino to remove the residue.

#2 - I would empty the entire litterbox, scrub down the entire box (covers and tray) with dish detergent and let dry. Replace the litter. If it still smells, you can try washing your mop head to see if the smell is trapped there.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I find that removing wet or very damp towels out of a bathroom helps to keep that dingy/damp odour at a less noticeable level. Especially on a warm day, I have to know the towels are dry in that room or there are towels heading to the laundry room.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Aug 18th, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a long, skinny bathroom and no window. I find that the towels can be a source of odour. We hang our clothes to dry a lot of the time indoors (no suitable space for an outdoor clothesline), but for towels (at least our towels, most of which are quite old), I find that this is not the way. They need to be washed in hot water and dried in the dryer.

Don't even get me started on our bathmat. I bought what I thought was a lovely one on clearance at Costco, so thick and plush and squishy. Until I tried to wash it. It's too thick to wash or spin properly, and isn't lovely at all anymore! Needs to be turfed.
    tasha313 likes this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

No mold but i'll do the drano and scrub with bleach to be sure (well.... is ask DF .. )

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    #1 - Is there a window in the bathroom? Is there mold in the caulking? A spray down with a bleach solution may help, especially if you give it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush. DH may have to do this if you're pregnant. You can sniff the drains to see if the smell is coming from something decomposing there. Either baking soda with hot water may help or you can use some Draino to remove the residue.

#2 - I would empty the entire litterbox, scrub down the entire box (covers and tray) with dish detergent and let dry. Replace the litter. If it still smells, you can try washing your mop head to see if the smell is trapped there.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Will also be careful with the towels

Thanks soo much for all the tips

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I have a long, skinny bathroom and no window. I find that the towels can be a source of odour. We hang our clothes to dry a lot of the time indoors (no suitable space for an outdoor clothesline), but for towels (at least our towels, most of which are quite old), I find that this is not the way. They need to be washed in hot water and dried in the dryer.

Don't even get me started on our bathmat. I bought what I thought was a lovely one on clearance at Costco, so thick and plush and squishy. Until I tried to wash it. It's too thick to wash or spin properly, and isn't lovely at all anymore! Needs to be turfed.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I try not to use Javex or Javex based products. But sometimes you just have no choice in order to get things really clean. As you are in a rental apartment (who knows how the people before you cleaned), I would absolutely give it a good scrub with a javex product.
    I usually use microfiber based products and water to clean the house. Sometimes I use lemon and baking soda or vinegar too.
    For those times when I feel like my house is getting grungy looking even though its clean I use Scrubbing Bubbles spray WITH bleach. I spray things down in the bathroom, let is soak in for a good couple of hours, (especially if there is mold on the caulking) wipe down, rinse and then do it all over again if it needs it. I also use in on my kitchen counters but I own my house and they are old fake butcher block counters, and the kitchen backsplash, and appliances. Ok you get it. If I think it won't harm the finish I use it on it.
    Warning this stuff is strong smelling, and you should have the fan going all windows in the apartment open and any kids out for the day, so the air can clear. I always open my bathroom window and close the door to keep the smell somewhat contained.
    But if you want it sparkling then use it. Even on the floor grout if you have any.
    I also did see a neat bathmat at Walmart today in the checkout line. Its one of those as seen on TV things but looks interesting. Its kind of like a loofa and bathmat all in one, can use in or out of the tub. http://www.asseenontv.com/hydro-rug/detail.php?p=447883

Also wear old clothes when cleaning because you will for sure bleach them.
    I would also use 100 watt lights in the light fixtures, its amazing how an increase in wattage will brighten things up.
    tasha313 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For bathroom cleaning i can suggest you to apply scrub powder.That is very effective and letting it sit for approximately 10 minutes then wash it. For your second problem and to increase the space in your room always choose furniture that does double work for example use large farm table as a desk and transform it into dinning table. Use nesting table in the bedroom that can be easily pulled out when needed and pushed out of the way during no use.
    Last edited by angelapride; Tue, Mar 18th, 2014 at 01:22 AM.

Thread Information