User Tag List

Thread: Mac and Cheese

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Does anybody have a good recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese? My evil stepmother used to make a great one that froze well, she used a lot of grated cheese layered in with the macaroni, along with some butter and some milk. I was never able to reproduce it.

We didn't get along well in the end, and she's gone away now anyhow, so I need someone else to tell me how.

Someone else gave me a recipe that involved mixing milk, cheese, flour I think, and butter, cooking this on the stove until it thickened. Texture was good, but not cheesy enough! Maybe I just needed more cheese?

Who's got a tasty homemade mac and cheese recipe for me? No, not low fat, real cheese (although not cream and such).
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, MAC Cosmetics

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

My mom just made the elbow noodles with lots of cheese on top. She added spaghetti sauce to it sometimes and called it "lazy lasagna". I never had KD as a kid, only the real stuff!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My favorite Mac and Cheese recipe is Martha Stewart's, although it's known as the $15 Mac and Cheese due to the amount of White Cheddar and Gruyere that she adds. I cut the recipe down to 1/3 when I made it, and it turned out very well, but I don't really make it much due to both expense and the richness.

http://www.marthastewart.com/281007/macaroni-and-cheese

Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen also have good recipes. I think the America's Test Kitchen one is better as you bake it less, but both are good from experience.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/classic-m...kitchen-260199

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Someone else gave me a recipe that involved mixing milk, cheese, flour I think, and butter, cooking this on the stove until it thickened. Texture was good, but not cheesy enough! Maybe I just needed more cheese?
    That's basically how I make it. Melt butter and add an equal amount of flour and you have a roux. Whisk in some milk and allow it to thicken then you have bechamel. Add grated cheese and stir until melted and you have cheese sauce. Don't forget to season with salt, I find this somehow makes it seem more cheesy but you still need lots of cheese. Mix the hot sauce with pre cooked but slightly firm macaroni in a casserole dish, cover with more grated cheese and crushed saltine crackers if you feel like it. Bake just until brown and bubbly, not too long or your sauce may break.

Mario's best friendლ(ಠωಠლ MangoFruit's Avatar
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

This is how I make my Mac N cheese.

I buy a packet of kraft mac n cheese and follow the instruction on how to make the mac. Afterward, when the mac is done, I add butter while the mac and cheese is still hot. I then add in 2/3 cup of hot milk. Then I add in the powder cheese and stir well. Then I season it with some salt, pepper, a pinch of oregano (optional), and some onion powder (optional). I put everything in a pyrex baking tray and I grate some cheese on the top to top everything off. Remember to preheat the oven at 200 C and put the Mac N cheese in for about 15-20 minutes. Bon Appétit
    I've gotten more than 300$ of gift cards. You can also do so by joining swagbucks:
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/MangoFruit
    Also, Start out with 25 points on SUPERPOINTS: http://superpoints.com/join/airujo

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MangoFruit View Post
    This is how I make my Mac N cheese.

I buy a packet of kraft mac n cheese and follow the instruction on how to make the mac. Afterward, when the mac is done, I add butter while the mac and cheese is still hot. I then add in 2/3 cup of hot milk. Then I add in the powder cheese and stir well. Then I season it with some salt, pepper, a pinch of oregano (optional), and some onion powder (optional). I put everything in a pyrex baking tray and I grate some cheese on the top to top everything off. Remember to preheat the oven at 200 C and put the Mac N cheese in for about 15-20 minutes. Bon Appétit
    I like your KD styles. One step I combine though is measure the butter and milk together then microwave it and add them both in a boiling mixture of happiness.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Someone had a recipe of crockpot mac n' cheese .. but I can't seem to find it
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Can of tomato soup w/milk, diced bacon(cooked), noodles & cheese (sometimes I'll add a bit of garlic & onion). I wing most things so theres no real measurements but its a fav in my house

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    100 (99%)

In our family we do the elbow macaroni layered with shredded cheese with butter in between layers and filled with milk up to the top. Lots of shredded cheese on top too!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    100 (99%)

& baked of course for about an hr at 350.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

This has always been something I've wanted to make from scratch. Anyone with a simple/no bake Mac N Cheese recipe?
    Zia_Stephie really wants you as my swagbucks referral...PM me and I'll send you the link. Thanks!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't tried Mac and Cheese, because I do not like cheese at all.

Thread Information