User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Soda/Pop not good for children and teens - study says

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I am wondering about the studies about cow's milk and children. For adults, I think almond milk is o.k. The adult bones are fully developed. For children, there may be more benefits from cow's milk for bones and teeth development.

Please, those who don't like dairy, please don't hate. Just thinkin' out loud.
    That's what I thought too but apparently it's not so.
    But that begs the bigger question. Do kids need milk? Is milk necessary for healthy bones and preventing osteoporosis? The data are clear, but our government polices don't reflect the science.Dairy and milk products do not promote healthy bones. In a large meta-analysis, milk did not reduce risk of fractures. Other studies have shown it can increase fracture rates. And the countries with the lowest milk consumption have the lowest risk of osteoporosis and fractures. Calcium is not all it's cracked up to be. Studies show that higher calcium intakes are actually associated with higher risk of fracture.
    ...from this article
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar...b_3551079.html

Milk I guess isn't as cut and dry as pop....sorry for slipping off topic with your thread.
    Jina, Shwa Girl and ticul like this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by erin9mmm View Post

...from this article

Milk I guess isn't as cut and dry as pop....sorry for slipping off topic with your thread.
    Wow. My eyes are wide open now. Wow. A little mad at being fooled by the dairy farmers too. I hate being fooled.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Feb 17th, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
    erin9mmm, ticul and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by erin9mmm View Post

...from this article

I never drank milk while growing up. I hated dairy products. Only amount of milk I would drink was with English tea. I drank a lot of juice. Pop occasionally. I don't have diabetes, has never been overweight, didn't play outdoors much. Same for DH and both our families. We are of Chinese descent so milk isn't a common thing in our culture. My grandma lived to 96, no bones problem, never drank milk or consumed dairy. Just Chinese tea.

I read an article from a woman who suffered breast cancer and she talked about breast cancer not being something common in China, except for Chinese women who adopted the western culture. She decided to go dairy-free and wrote how she felt better. Not sure how much proof is there in that though...

My son is not a big fan of dairy either. Cheese and Yop yes, but for drinks, he prefers water, orange juice and soy milk. We don't allow him to drink pop though.
    Shwa Girl, erin9mmm and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post
    I never drank milk while growing up. I hated dairy products. Only amount of milk I would drink was with English tea. I drank a lot of juice. Pop occasionally. I don't have diabetes, has never been overweight, didn't play outdoors much. Same for DH and both our families. We are of Chinese descent so milk isn't a common thing in our culture. My grandma lived to 96, no bones problem, never drank milk or consumed dairy. Just Chinese tea. I read an article from a woman who suffered breast cancer and she talked about breast cancer not being something common in China, except for Chinese women who adopted the western culture. She decided to go dairy-free and wrote how she felt better. Not sure how much proof is there in that though... My son is not a big fan of dairy either. Cheese and Yop yes, but for drinks, he prefers water, orange juice and soy milk. We don't allow him to drink pop though.
    Sounds like your family has great genes. Congrats. The lady's breast cancer, could be environmental cause or genetic cause. Different cultures have different cancer incidence. Some have more breast cancer. Some have more stomach related cancers.
    Jina, ticul and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sounds like your family has great genes. Congrats. The lady's breast cancer, could be environmental cause or genetic cause. Different cultures have different cancer incidence. Some have more breast cancer. Some have more stomach related cancers.
    yes Chinese people have different types of cancer. There are a lot of chemicals put in the food in China to preserve them. My uncle died of throat cancer and my aunt of kidney failure. They used to dine at Chinese restaurant a lot.

Although Chinese, DH and I and a lot of our relatives were not raised eating just Chinese food. We had a variety of foods.
    I believe as long as everything is consumed in moderation, then we're fine. Just like living on pop and junk food isn't good, but consuming it once a while won't kill you

Also, all my cousins and friends' babies in Asia were born between 6-7lbs. Normal weight for Asians, but a 6lbs is often considered small in the West. Since moving to Canada, I've realised that my Asian friends here who've changed their diet consuming more dairy and started prenatal vitamins had bigger babies. Between 7-8 lbs. My mum was shocked my son was almost 8lbs (I'm 5ft2 and weight 48kg). I don't know anyone in my home country who took prenatal vitamins or consumed lots of dairy while pregnant. All they did was eat healthy and their babies are absolutely fine
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post
    yes Chinese people have different types of cancer. There are a lot of chemicals put in the food in China to preserve them. My uncle died of throat cancer and my aunt of kidney failure. They used to dine at Chinese restaurant a lot.

Although Chinese, DH and I and a lot of our relatives were not raised eating just Chinese food. We had a variety of foods.
    I believe as long as everything is consumed in moderation, then we're fine. Just like living on pop and junk food isn't good, but consuming it once a while won't kill you

Also, all my cousins and friends' babies in Asia were born between 6-7lbs. Normal weight for Asians, but a 6lbs is often considered small in the West. Since moving to Canada, I've realised that my Asian friends here who've changed their diet consuming more dairy and started prenatal vitamins had bigger babies. Between 7-8 lbs. My mum was shocked my son was almost 8lbs (I'm 5ft2 and weight 48kg). I don't know anyone in my home country who took prenatal vitamins or consumed lots of dairy while pregnant. All they did was eat healthy and their babies are absolutely fine
    Really good post!
    Thank you for all the information - very helpful.
    Jina likes this.

zof
    Female
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The problem with food these days is that everything is processed. Back in the day when people used to hunt for food they wouldn't find all this sugar and junk we have now. The other problem is if you stop kids/adults from eating sugary foods you have to limit their carbohydrates. When you eat too many carbohydrates your basically just eating sugar.
    Shwa Girl and angelapride like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zof View Post
    The problem with food these days is that everything is processed. Back in the day when people used to hunt for food they wouldn't find all this sugar and junk we have now. The other problem is if you stop kids/adults from eating sugary foods you have to limit their carbohydrates. When you eat too many carbohydrates your basically just eating sugar.
    There are some good fruit and veggie deals coming up in many flyers on Thursday and Friday. Small children, most of the time, can eat these for snacks or with their meals. Parents can cut up these fruits and veggies in edible pieces (avoiding choking hazards) and introduce these to children, so they have a variety, at a reasonable price.
    zof and angelapride like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am agree with your point and one more disadvantage of soda/pop is that it weaker the bones of children.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by angelapride View Post
    I am agree with your point and one more disadvantage of soda/pop is that it weaker the bones of children.
    Thanks for your post. If I remember correctly, you are a health care provider (?).
    If I am correct, your post has increased cred.
    Thanks.

zof
    Female
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are some good fruit and veggie deals coming up in many flyers on Thursday and Friday. Small children, most of the time, can eat these for snacks or with their meals. Parents can cut up these fruits and veggies in edible pieces (avoiding choking hazards) and introduce these to children, so they have a variety, at a reasonable price.
    Yes that would be the best idea for both parents and kids because then you end up with a healthy child who isn't going to be obese. The problem is that for some parents it is very hard to actually take the time in preparing this stuff. Most parents find it easier to throw in "fruit" snacks or other processed stuff because it saves them time. (I'm not saying all parents but I work in different schools so I see a lot of lunches and snacks that are consumed on a daily basis>>>> most of them not being the best choices).
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zof View Post
    Yes that would be the best idea for both parents and kids because then you end up with a healthy child who isn't going to be obese. The problem is that for some parents it is very hard to actually take the time in preparing this stuff. Most parents find it easier to throw in "fruit" snacks or other processed stuff because it saves them time. (I'm not saying all parents but I work in different schools so I see a lot of lunches and snacks that are consumed on a daily basis>>>> most of them not being the best choices).
    About time, I think that some do the veggie washing and prep on weekends. And store in the fridge. It's easy to grab an apple, pear, banana and throw in the lunch packing. Some great ideas from Dietitians of Canada
    http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-R...At-School.aspx

Eat Well Play Well - At School

School is where children go to learn, play and develop skills that will last them a lifetime. Well nourished children are better able to pay attention and learn in school. Help your children to be their best at school by fueling their days with healthy food choices.

Lunch Matters for Children

Between grade one and the end of high school, a student may eat more than 2,400 lunches at school! Creating tasty, nutritious school lunches is a challenge for many parents. The good news is that with a little bit of planning and a few ideas, you can put together a lunch that not only tastes great, but also packs a nutritional punch:

• Recruit some help - Children may be more likely to eat a lunch that they have been involved in creating. Let your children choose some of the foods that will go into their lunch bags. Plan or prepare school lunches together - make it fun!
    • Get organized - Speed up the preparation process by organizing lunch supplies such as insulated containers, lunch bags or boxes, reusable drinking boxes, napkins and cutlery in one spot.
    • Lay a solid foundation - Teach children to include foods from at least three of the four food groups of Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide for lunch.
    • Mix it up - Offer a variety of foods to prevent boredom and make lunch a meal that your child looks forward to. Short on ideas? Try the following:

Hummus, whole wheat pita bread wedges, pepper strips, yogurt, 100% fruit juice Whole grain tortilla filled with tuna salad and shredded lettuce, celery sticks, grapes, chocolate milk
    Whole grain crackers, hard cooked egg, carrot sticks with dip, apple, milk Leftover whole grain pasta, meat sauce, melon cubes, mini banana muffin, milk
    Picnic Lunch: cut up cheese, leftover chicken or roast beef, whole wheat bread sticks, fresh fruit salad, milk Cold pizza, cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices, homemade oatmeal cookie, 100% fruit juice
    Whole wheat bagel topped with cheddar cheese and apple slices, graham crackers, 100% vegetable juice. Vegetarian chili, small whole wheat roll, nectarine, yogurt drink

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am surprised a study is needed to figure out soda isn't good! As for milk - I think we are the only mammals to drink milk as adults. There are def more nutrients in milk than pop
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

i used to guzzle pop, we are almost 3 years pop free, OMG even the smell of it makes me gag now. that stuff is truly horrible for you. especially diet pop.
    walkonby likes this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For me it's been around 7 or 8 years pop free. My doctor actually recommended it although her concern was phosphates. I still get my caffeine fix from coffee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information