User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Soda/Pop not good for children and teens - study says

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The study is not saying it is the caffeine or if it is the sugar, but the study says that violent behavior in children from 5 years old to teens can be linked to drinking soda/pop. Wonder what they would find if they studied energy drinks and children/teens?

In terms of behavior, the researchers found that aggression, withdrawal, and attention problems were all associated with soda consumption. Despite adjusting for socio-demographic factors, maternal depression, parental abuse, and paternal imprisonment, the results indicate an increase in aggressive behavior with any soft drink consumption. The four percent of children who drank four or more soft drinks per day were more than twice as likely to exhibit destructive behavior, destroying things belonging to others, and physically attacking people. They also suffered from increased attention problems and withdrawal behavior compared to those children who did not consume any soft drinks.

Read more: http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...#ixzz2cHeJywG2
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 07:22 AM.
    erin9mmm likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I just read this earlier!

I'm thinking it's the high fructose corn syrup - betcha if it were sugar, it would be better.
    Of course, caffeine too - if they are drinking cola.

Interesting, though - not a definitive study - couldn't identify the exact nature, correlation, of it.
    As with any study - so many other factors to consider, too.

Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Am I the only one that went "duh" when I read the study? Adults really shouldn't be drinking soda, let alone kids.
    Last edited by xox2010; Sun, Aug 18th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Jina, Natalka, Zonny and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

It's amazing how much soda/pop is consumed -- especially by kids!

I've been to a few parties where the other parents where shocked when I said no pop, which to be honest shocked me. lol. My kids have water or milk. For a TREAT, they get Apple Juice, Orange Juice or Chocolate Milk. No pop ever - it's an adult drink (or at least that's what I tell them).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I saw this on the news this week. The report I saw highlighted young kids. My first reaction was: "I wonder if it just as much the parenting ability of someone who allows a small child to drink 4 cans of pop a day, as it is about the pop." Really !!! I can understand a can of pop as a treat once in a while but FOUR cans a day???
    xox2010, Shwa Girl and RSAS like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I'm thinking it's the high fructose corn syrup - betcha if it were sugar, it would be better.
    Of course, caffeine too - if they are drinking cola.
    From Coke's website, here are the ingredients in Coca Cola:
    Carbonated water, sugar, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, natural flavourings (including caffeine).

From 7up's website, here are the ingredients:
    Filtered carbonated water and contains 2% or less of each of the following: citric acid, natural flavors, potassium benzoate (protects flavor), aspartame, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, vitamin E acetate, Red 40

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This kind of study makes me wonder... is it just effecting kids, or do we just notice it more in children because we monitor their anger and obedience levels. I think that the amount of sugar that children intake regularly should be kept to a minimum as much as possible. This way they appreciate a treat here and there, but also keep healthy diets.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    More Toronto Head Lice Advice or a Head Lice Clinic in your area.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My opinion is similar to yours. I absolutely agree about reducing the consumption of sugar by kids.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I was a kid we had loads of sugary pop drinks and there was never the issue of violence. I think there are other social factors at work as well. Studies can't isolate factors to know the real cause for sure.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agreed - 4 cans of pop per day seems ridiculous. I wonder if some parents allow this to happen. To me that's just asking for health troubles.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I totally agree BeautyRoom! There are so many other social factors that are changing our children and teaching them that violence is an answer to their "troubles." We need to be careful to watch the things they are watching, listening too, playing... and even the crowd they are hanging out with.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    More Toronto Head Lice Advice or a Head Lice Clinic in your area.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Energy Drinks, caffeine and children:

One expert agreed that all this caffeine intake by children is worrisome. Dr. Marielys Rodriguez Varela, a pediatrician at Miami Children's Hospital, said caffeine's potential effects include a rapid heart beat, high blood pressure and anxiety.
    Varela said she is also concerned about how much the added sugar in coffee, soda and energy drinks will contribute to obesity. "You create a habit that will be difficult to cut off," she said. "It's not just caffeine, but all the side effects that come along with it."
    "Caffeine doesn't have a place in the diet of any child or adolescent," Varela said, echoing policies set forth by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...-kids-cdc-says

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    It's amazing how much soda/pop is consumed -- especially by kids!

I've been to a few parties where the other parents where shocked when I said no pop, which to be honest shocked me. lol. My kids have water or milk. For a TREAT, they get Apple Juice, Orange Juice or Chocolate Milk. No pop ever - it's an adult drink (or at least that's what I tell them).
    I usually serve my girls juice in the morning (i think juice would be an okay choice as long as it's not punch - but so many studies who knows now) and milk for dinner, anything in between is water and when ever they say they're thirsty they get water. I am going to start changing milk to almond milk because I've heard that cow's milk isn't a good choice either (link below). It's just so expensive though in comparison.

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

...generally I go by the moderation rule, has been good to me so far.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by erin9mmm View Post
    I usually serve my girls juice in the morning (i think juice would be an okay choice as long as it's not punch - but so many studies who knows now) and milk for dinner, anything in between is water and when ever they say they're thirsty they get water. I am going to start changing milk to almond milk because I've heard that cow's milk isn't a good choice either (link below). It's just so expensive though in comparison.

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

...generally I go by the moderation rule, has been good to me so far.
    I am wondering about the studies about cow's milk and children. For adults, I think almond milk is o.k. The adult bones are fully developed. For children, there may be more benefits from cow's milk for bones and teeth development.

Please, those who don't like dairy, please don't hate. Just thinkin' out loud.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BeautyRoom View Post
    When I was a kid we had loads of sugary pop drinks and there was never the issue of violence. I think there are other social factors at work as well. Studies can't isolate factors to know the real cause for sure.
    Just wondering. When you were a kid, drinking the pop,were you also out playing all day, riding your bike, running around...

Or were you using your thumb and first finger on video games.

Just thinkin out loud of multifactoral evidenced based studies related to children in 2014 versus children in previous years.
    mayuan015 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information