User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: First Rant - PMing at Walmart

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Your mention of "pricematching at a different store to get a product not included in the actual sale, would be "wrong" -you know these stores have no problem overcharging us on a weekly basis, leaving the flyers open to interpretation hoping that consumers accept they vague adds and confused cashiers and mgmt on even what they are trying to sell.

Strategically placing certain items in the store to psycologically sell more, piping in smells to entice consumers to be hungrier. We have a few friends that manage some of these stores, they know all the tricks so please...

And they throw their hats in the wring with price-matching and competitive pricing so please do not lecture in some of your replies on what is right or what is wrong especially with new couponers or even newbies with a little experience as myself that are wondering or seeking advice from the forum now that it is wrong.

It is all a marketing game and us also learning how to play the game is also a part of the process and PM and couponing now is an advantage that finally consumers have a say. I cannot imaginine in all the years I and allot of us on the forum have spent paying full price and they have not had any issues all those years taking our hard earned money home while often we went without because so many things were expensive so please spare us the ethics.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sun, Aug 25th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

I went to price match pop from No Frills the other day, and they wouldn't let me price match the diet flavor because it wasn't shown in the picture, and it stated "selected types". Comeon, it's diet vs regular! It's not like I'm trying to get a 24pk instead of a 12pk. Ugh, so frustrating that I just left my entire purchase there.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Call the store or HQ and make a complaint... they need to stop playing that wild card and clarify (selected types)..Where did you try the PM? call them or send an email. When something like that happens as well call the manager. I do that and they usually say let it go and the odd time they won't but atleast this battle was won. If lost make a fuss. They want to play the game....meet some smart players that know how to use their knowledge
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sun, Aug 25th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Please also complain on FB - I remember a show a few yrs ago and Walmart won for best customer service!!!! They have fallen and they can't get up!!!!!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

that was a terrible experience OP, sometimes the cashiers and supervisors make their own policies, the walmart that i was shopping for years never had any problem until today, i had to pricematch a 2 for $4 or 2$ each item, but the cashier was entering all wrong, then the supervisor came and she dont know how to fix, then i gave her my coupons, the supervisor was telling she can only take one coupon for 2 items and the coupon is one per purchase , so only one coupon i can use , i tried to explain to them but they dont want to hear anything, OMG, 20 minutes in front of the cashier and many many yelling customers in back of my line, , i know the manager of the store, so i told the supervisor to cancel the transaction and give back my coupons, i will call the manger and report her, suddenly the supervisor know how to do everything and within seconds the transaction was complete, call the HO and usually the managers will call you back in one or 2 weeks

dont let this bad experience stops you from saving, sometimes these happens, and it has happend to me several times and i have been couponing for years, but now i know how to talk to them and deal with them
    Last edited by elizabethjohn2005; Sun, Aug 25th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

my trade list and wishlist, check it out, tons of tearpads
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/365260-...ensure-canada/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That must have been a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieP View Post
    Please also complain on FB - I remember a show a few yrs ago and Walmart won for best customer service!!!! They have fallen and they can't get up!!!!!!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Still waiting..... I will have to call head office again tomorrow and let them know that the regional manager failed to contact me.

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

.... I know recently Shopper's had a sale on "selected varieties" of Kellogg's cereal in the flyer. The photo was (I believe) Raisin Bran and Corn Flakes. When I went into the store, they ONLY had Raisin Bran and Corn Flakes on at that price. The rest of the Kellogg's cereal was still $1000 a box (joking). This is why my WalMart won't PM anything but what's pictured in the flyer if it says selected varieties- because sometimes the stores around here ONLY have those specific items on sale at that price. Of course I only speak from my end of things, but that's my bit of info to add.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I price matched Safeways flyer 3 for $5 crest 3D white toothpaste. In the flyer is says size 75ml to 130ml. I do all my coupon shopping at walmart so I priced match the flyer for the 125ml but couples day later when I went to get milk and movie with hubby at safeway I checked the sizes and it was only 85ml on sale. Its very misleading and it was an honest mistake on my part. It's kinda there fault for not actually stating the actual size when they knowing know it's going to be only 1 certain size available. To be honest I really like it though because I can pick the kind I want lol

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. This is one of the reasons my mom is somewhat hesitant to PM. Just don't let it put you off on price matching. Like many have said, almost all of us have experienced this type of situation.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandy403 View Post
    I price matched Safeways flyer 3 for $5 crest 3D white toothpaste. In the flyer is says size 75ml to 130ml. I do all my coupon shopping at walmart so I priced match the flyer for the 125ml but couples day later when I went to get milk and movie with hubby at safeway I checked the sizes and it was only 85ml on sale. Its very misleading and it was an honest mistake on my part. It's kinda there fault for not actually stating the actual size when they knowing know it's going to be only 1 certain size available. To be honest I really like it though because I can pick the kind I want lol
    Totally not your fault. I had the same situation. I was price matching Lactaid from the Target flyer. They had the caplet amounts listed and nothing else, nothing like liquid, regular or extra strength. So, I went to WM to price match because I very rarely go to Target and it's not exactly close for me. The product I purchased fit the description provided in the flyer. I happened to be at Target later in the week and I thought I'd pick up some more and it turns out the only ones on sale were the small size in regular strength, which were not the ones I bought at WM. If you have to go to the store to check, when given a range, which size is actually on sale, in my opinion that defeats the purpose of price matching.
    mandy403 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcon View Post
    yeah, but thats not to say that the chips that are on sale, are only certain flavours (BBQ, regular or whatever) that they have too much stock of so they are only putting those certain flavours on sale.
    Most flyers are sent to the printers months in advance and so realistically they won't know what they have excess of until the flyer is distributed. So when they say 'selected varieties' instead of specifying BBQ, it's usually just in case the BBQ shipment doesn't show up they don't have to make a correction. Also, most individual stores have the authority to mark down products when they have excess or when they are about to expire and those wouldn't be in the flyer, at least not the regional/national flyer.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well, the regional manager called me back He was very pleasant to speak with and agreed that the chip flavor pm-ing analogy was ridiculous. He agreed that in that case Wal-Mart would pm by weight. He told me that he would speak with the cashier. Overall, it was a positive experience. Glad that things seem to be straightened out.
    trishka likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First thing I do when I see that in an ad, is I check the sizes listed and what the customer has to see if the sizes match. I like the ads where they state "save x amount" as then, when I scan the product, I know by the price coming up whether or not what they have could be part of the competitor's sale as Walmart's price and the competitor's regular price shouldn't be too far off each other. If all looks good, I go ahead and do the price match. However, as a couple other's have stated, it is possible that what is being purchased at Walmart isn't what is included in the competitor's sale since sometimes only certain flavours are being sold at that price.

One time always have to watch things is when Campbell's soup is on for a good price - it's usually always those 4 basic flavours that are on...not homestyle, or low-fat, or low-sodium, or creams (except cream of mushroom, which is one of the 4 basics).....Walmart's regular price for them is about $1.07. So the competitor has them on for say, 50 cents, and their ad states "save 57 cents".....you know that it's only the ones we sell for $1.07 that are on sale. Yet time and time again, customers arrive at the tills with the ones that are $1.67 to $1.97 in price - they are not the ones for sale at the other store, yet you'll get a customer who will always try and argue with you...even when you point out why those ones are not part of the competitor's sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information