User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Walmart gift card fraud/ family rant

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Long story short On Aug 16 2013 I was told by my store Customer Service Managemet at Walmart I couldn't get a rain check on the Purex 30 double roll. I decided I would post my comments on Walmarts Facebook page. They took it VERY seriously and told me they were telling the manager to contact me and to offer me a $20 Walmart gift card. They said there was no reason I shouldn't of not been able to get the rain check since it wasn't limited quantities or while quantities lasted. It was because they started the sale early on Thursday they ran out. The funny part is before posting my comments the same day I drove to another store to get the toilet paper because it was a super awesome deal I wasn't going to miss out on. I never thought they would take it that serious but they did.

Fast forward to Aug 28 when I received my $20 Walmart gift card in the mail. I went shopping Aug 30 at 2 different Walmart locations. The First location I spent 0.73 cents after coupons. Then the second Walmart I spent $2.48 after coupons. These 2 Walmarts are 35 minutes from my place. The Walmart by my place is under construction and is always busy so travelling a bit further makes couponing easier.

After shopping at the 2nd Walmart I realized I forgot something so I quickly drove to the Walmart by my place before heading home. I tried using my gift card but the cashier says the balance is ZERO??? I should still have $16.79 on my card I am in shock thinking there is no way I spent over $20. she even tried keeping the card cause it said zero I was like no there is something wrong.

I went home called the number on my card it says 2 transactions on Aug 30 were made and the redemption's made were both zero. I called a few times thinking I was hearing things but evenually the system kept hanging up on me. So my first thought was just go to the Walmart customer service by my place so they can fix the card the next day Saturday. The manager looks at it and says you have to go to the location you last used your gift card at. At that point I am like okay I guess they can just put the missing balance back on the card.

I showed up there today showed them my receipts and they are basically saying that someone from there staff CASHOUT my $16.79 only 45minutes after my last transaction. I never expected to hear that. The lady looking in to it basically said it wasn't on purpose. Quit peeved off driving there 35 minutes thinking they would fix it but now I have to wait for a phone call because they need to investigate view the camera's... This was not a system error someone actually did something to the $16.79 that was suppose to be left on my card

To top that off I had a bit of a misunderstanding/ I am pissed off with my parents. Don't get me wrong I love my parents to death but there is a point to where your parents need to lay off a bit. I have been couponing for about 3years now and this year I have been doing really good at saving money so I have been more then willing to give out Free stuff to help out. This does not only include my parents but my aunts,uncles,gramma, brother, sister in law, cousins,mother in law, brother in law, The drop in centre, and some friends. I am talking around $1500 worth of free stuff has left my house. I never asked for any of them to give me money or anything. I always try and help my parents save money give them coupons and tell them about deals ect but it has come to my attention that because I get the items free I should just roll over and hand it out free. Its my time/energy and money and basically I should give everything I get away for free.

Today my dad was basically saying hint hint he wanted 2 packs of my batteries for free his words not mine... Then I responded yeah you can give me $2 for them. These batteries originally cost 9.99 each plus tax. Again it's my time/money. That's when my mom said my name in allowed tone basically getting mad at me because I wasn't just offering them free...I just got up and left to my place they know I am upset but still. Not only that it's becoming a habit because every time my uncle goes to my parents place he wants me to bring him stuff. I live like 2minutes from my parents place so when I am there he ALWAYS ask what I have for him. If I might ad my uncle and his wife are Very wealthy people they both make really good money. I loved helping them but I just can't keep giving everything away.

I just feel like I have given so much but people just don't appreciate the things given to them.

Please don't get me wrong I love my family I am just annoyed by there actions lately and how they make me feel like I should hand out everything free.

I posted this rant as I am hoping for some guidance and to help me feel better by talking about it.
    Please no Negative comments.

UPDATE Sept 3 2013

I talked with security from Walmart and they are basically keeping it hush hush and trying to push it under the rug like nothing ever happened. The security lady did mention that someone will be held accountable but for privacy reasons I am not allowed to know the details of who it was. I do know that is was done on purpose and I also know that it was someone from security or high management who cashed out the gift card. The security lady offered to round the gift card to $30... Meaning they just gave me back my $16.79 that was previously on the gift card plus additional $13.21 for what happened. In my opinion that was quite cheap considering the embarrassment trying to use the card and being told it was zero when there should have been money on it before this issue not only that the stress of trying to figure out what happen. Anyways I guess it's better then nothing it's way more then I had before lol

I also reconciled with my parents and I ended up giving them some things they were really happy but I also did explain to them how I felt and they understand
    Name:  66.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  59.6 KB

This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Walmart
    Last edited by mandy403; Wed, Sep 4th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Silk, walkonby, Shwa Girl and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yeah, sometimes when you start giving people free stuff for awhile, they just expect you to give them free stuff without them even asking. like I give my mom free bread every week, there was times that I didn't have to go out to shop and she needed bread herself. she calls me like 5 times for bread. told her i m busy and i m not just going to go out for her free bread. I told her to go buy her own bread for ones. lol.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I always ask for a balance receipt on any gift cards when I use it. I then keep that receipt with the card until the next time I use it so I always know what the balances should be at - its WAY to easy for cashiers to say "oh there's nothing on this card" and I NEVER hand over my 'empty' cards to anyone.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

How do you feel about lying?

Sorry, I haven't been couponing for a while so my stockpile is dwindling. What I have now is what I'm keeping for myself. I'll let you know when I have extras to share in the future.
    aussie, Tweets77, Insane and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

My last receipt shows my end balance of $16.79 there is no reason for me to think that it would be empty. The only way I found out what happened is when I went to customer service and they printed out the gift card transaction. I am so happy I caught it in time. hopefully that will be resolved soon!

Quote Originally Posted by coupongirl99 View Post
    I always ask for a balance receipt on any gift cards when I use it. I then keep that receipt with the card until the next time I use it so I always know what the balances should be at - its WAY to easy for cashiers to say "oh there's nothing on this card" and I NEVER hand over my 'empty' cards to anyone.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am not sure it would work as everyone in my family knows about my couponing and they know it will never change. I wish I could but it's kinda hard when they all know I have a stock pile.

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    How do you feel about lying?

Sorry, I haven't been couponing for a while so my stockpile is dwindling. What I have now is what I'm keeping for myself. I'll let you know when I have extras to share in the future.
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry you're going through this with your family! It won't be easy, but I can't see any other way out other than telling them how you feel and setting some boundaries. Maybe tell them you can no longer give them the items that you've bought with coupons, but you would be happy to show them how to use coupons to purchase the items themselves.
    You sound like a very generous person, so it's sad that your own family is taking advantage of you.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

wow that sucks!!

well the thing with me is.. i do get somethings for free.. not all !
    so there is no way i am just giving things for free.. when i paid somthing for them ..

mabe thats what u should tell them.. if they want somthing.. they gata pay u for ur hard work + the taxes atlest!!
    Last edited by ishyx0x; Sun, Sep 1st, 2013 at 02:39 AM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Mandy! I am sorry to hear about your trouble with WM... i had big issues with them this week as well and i went from the cashier to csm to assistant manager to the front of the store where i called head office... head office called the manager and straightened it out. I was not leaving the store and allowing untrained un professional staff to push me around... pms goes a long way to fixing things! LOL

When it comes to family i make sure they know I do help on occasion however I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, party go to movies or anything else so i can get my couponing done and i don't sacrifice these things so they can be reckless and rely on me... I am not having it....i make a point of saying if i can do this on a ridiculously small income they can too and i am willing to teach them... shuts them up every time.... except my niece... she is coming around and is interested in learning now. To that I say, WTG kid! I would much rather give the gift of more control over their budget long term. Besides... hunting down deals costs... in gas, ink, time, energy, stamps, tax... oh and did i mention gas? If we are buying 5 times the product to help out so many people we are paying 5 times the tax... plus the gas and ink... just explain these things even if they are free still do cost... maybe make them a couponer special price list and charge a buck or .50 a item. They get a really great deal and you recoup all the money you put into it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandy403 View Post
    I am not sure it would work as everyone in my family knows about my couponing and they know it will never change. I wish I could but it's kinda hard when they all know I have a stock pile.
    As others have said, nothing is free. There is tax, gas, etc. If you are buying 5 x the amount you personally need of some items and giving them away for nothing, I'd venture a guess that you are not saving nearly as much as you think you are for your own household. I think we have all "been there, done that" when it comes to some people in our lives expecting us to do the couponing for them. Like others, I will teach them how to do it themselves but I will not do it for them. Other than one person in my life who has very serious health issues, I only coupon for my household and for a couple of local charities. From time to time, I will 'bless' people with items but none of them expect me to stock their shelves. I find the less I talk about coupons, the less people have my stockpile on their radar!
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, Sep 1st, 2013 at 03:23 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

mandy403, sometimes family members need a good dose of reality. You do all the work, so if you feel generous here and there, THAT is all they should expect, but I am curious about one thing. Do you use any of their addresses to get any coupons or other things mailed there to increase the " 1 per household offers? " If so that is fine, many of us do, but they might somewhow think that by doing that they " helped " you gain that stockpile. I am just grasping at straws here trying to figure out why they feel so entitled.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Hi Mandy! I am sorry to hear about your trouble with WM... i had big issues with them this week as well and i went from the cashier to csm to assistant manager to the front of the store where i called head office... head office called the manager and straightened it out. I was not leaving the store and allowing untrained un professional staff to push me around... pms goes a long way to fixing things! LOL

When it comes to family i make sure they know I do help on occasion however I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, party go to movies or anything else so i can get my couponing done and i don't sacrifice these things so they can be reckless and rely on me... I am not having it....i make a point of saying if i can do this on a ridiculously small income they can too and i am willing to teach them... shuts them up every time.... except my niece... she is coming around and is interested in learning now. To that I say, WTG kid! I would much rather give the gift of more control over their budget long term. Besides... hunting down deals costs... in gas, ink, time, energy, stamps, tax... oh and did i mention gas? If we are buying 5 times the product to help out so many people we are paying 5 times the tax... plus the gas and ink... just explain these things even if they are free still do cost... maybe make them a couponer special price list and charge a buck or .50 a item. They get a really great deal and you recoup all the money you put into it.
    I agree I ask for $1 for them if they want it. Dollar store in my basement with out the tax. To help with the cost recoup. gas, toner and tax's and tax's.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Mandy, sorry about your problems with Walmart I never liked that store!!

About your family, it's great that you can help them when you can, but since they are taking advantage of you I would do the following. First tell them since you like getting all these items free I'm going to show all of you how to do it!! Once they see how much time going on sites, printing coupons (paper, ink cost), calling places, sending e-mails, going on smartcanucks, price matching etc. your time, gas, problems at the cash I bet they won't bother you again!! How does that saying go teach them to fish the have food for life, give them the fish they take advantage of you ha,ha,ha!! Good luck!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    Hi Mandy, sorry about your problems with Walmart I never liked that store!!

About your family, it's great that you can help them when you can, but since they are taking advantage of you I would do the following. First tell them since you like getting all these items free I'm going to show all of you how to do it!! Once they see how much time going on sites, printing coupons (paper, ink cost), calling places, sending e-mails, going on smartcanucks, price matching etc. your time, gas, problems at the cash I bet they won't bother you again!! How does that saying go teach them to fish the have food for life, give them the fish they take advantage of you ha,ha,ha!! Good luck!!
    This is the solution. I have been getting family away from my stock pile buy allowing them to take one of the items. But offering coupons to get it themselves. I also make a point of letting them know of any great deals or stock up items in advance. So they can fend for themselves. So far it seems to be working for everyone
    ARE YOU PART OF A PROBLEM OR PART OF THE SOLUTION BE A INFORMED SHOPPER

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

We need to treat our coupon purchases the way we treat our savings account. We don't show people what we have but on varying occasions we may opt to be generous with family, friends, charitiies etc. If people know you have 50k in savings, they are more apt to ask for a loan or expect you to treat, even though they could have 50k in savings if they did the things you do.

I do 80% of my couponing for my kids and siblings. They get it in a huge pile at Christmas time.. Enough hygiene products, cleaners etc etc to last them a year. They really seem to appreciate it and by far its the most valued gift I've given them. I only buy the items if they are 100% free or if I have to pay tax. They do know that I put alot of time into it.. I stress that so they place a value on it. I think if we don't put a value on it, others won't as well.. The time we invest in couponing is no less valuable than the time someone invests in their job. They get paid with cash, we get paid with items. We wouldn't walk into their homes and ask for their hard earned $$.. its not ok for them to walk into ours and ask for our hard earned items. I can understand why you are frustrated.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information