User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: *Car Insurance increase*

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

So, I recently received my car insurance renewal and it was increased by $286. Keep in mind that I do not have collision or comprehensive on my car.

They increased the "Liability" section "Bodily Injury" by $127. They also increased my Direct Compensation by $85. I am a young driver (w/ no tickets) so that does factor into but I can't figure out why it increased by almost $300. I'm going to call them next week (they're closed today), but I figured I would ask for some input beforehand. I havent' changed addresses or anything like that so it can't be that. I know insurance can increase but it seemed like a big jump to me? It's only $20 extra a month but $160 / month w/ no comprehensive or collision seems excessive to me. I've shopped around and they are still the cheapest by far. I'll be deleting this in a few days.

Also, am I correct in assuming that parking tickets don't count towards your insurance?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

In Ontario, last year's car insurance increased for us. We went to the insurance broker and asked if we could switch companies. Like you, there was nothing on our record that should make it increase by $300. The insurance broker said it was happening to many people.

This year, it went down $300. I think it's a scam, IMHO.
    xox2010 and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, parking tickets don't count.

Here in SK, in general our rates are generally really low since there is a government monopoly on insurance - but insurance has gone up here as well this year.
    They are trying to get older cars off the road, basically.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

My car is only 5 years old so I don't think it's that old

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yeah, so it wouldn't be that...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are a college or university graduate, most post-secondary institutions have discounts on insurance for alumni. TD Melloch Monnex is one (also the one I have been using) for Dalhousie University graduates. When I was out comparing insurance rates 8 years ago, most were quoting be $2400 a year! In the first year with TD I was only paying $725. TD Melloch Monnex has me under their Dal Alumni group plan and this year my premium was $668 for the entire year. No I am not a customer of TD Bank either....never have been.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

So it turns out that the reason for the increase, is that people in my area are terrible drivers. I looked into a college discount, but it's still more than my current policy. I called in and they took $70 off of my premium so that takes care of some of the increase.
    Natalka, mulock and Brooke_ like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    In Ontario, last year's car insurance increased for us. We went to the insurance broker and asked if we could switch companies. Like you, there was nothing on our record that should make it increase by $300. The insurance broker said it was happening to many people.

This year, it went down $300. I think it's a scam, IMHO.

I have only had my G license for 2 years. No tickets, no accidents, no demerit points, nothing. Last year my car insurance was $280 and got increased to $314 because of my address, apparently collision reports sky rocketed and that's why I had to pay for it?

Not to mention I did some research on quotes, if I drove a Mercedes my insurance was cheaper than the car I have. And I don`t drive a luxury vehicle.

Such a scam. Speaking of, my insurance expires next month. Should probably look into a different company.
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am hit too with an increase. Here is how I found cheaper options:

https://www.kanetix.ca/auto-insurance
    or
    https://walmartcompare.kanetix.ca/auto-insurance (something as the above, but sometimes I get different quotes much cheaper at Walmart, so worth trying)

http://www.insurancehotline.com/

There are a bunch more out there, nothing to get excited about.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Big scam ..they reduce the benefits but increase the premium almost every year

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have three accidents (no judgment please ) and was paying $450 A MONTH when I first moved to AB. Being a young driver, it was a hefty price. I realized this was insane and parked my car for a while. I shopped around and found insurance for $250 a month with a different broker. I was so happy with that simply because it was half of the previous insurance.
    In May I got a new job and some of my coworkers were talking about an insurance company where we get a corporate discount. I almost didn't call because I figure with three accidents there is no way they could do cheaper than $250. Luckily I called, because I now pay $108.83 a month. I almost cried when they quoted me this. Especially considering people, such as yourself, with no accidents are paying more than me!
    tjthemanto likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I paid just under $800 for my car in BC, and when I moved to Ontario it jumped to $3000 because my 7 years of driving in another province didn't count?!? I eventually found a reasonable $1200 rate, bought a new car to replace the 20 year old car, and 3 months later my insurance company doubled my rate to $2400, claiming 9/11 as an excuse. It was 2004. So I found another company, and have been claim free (never at fault) for ten years, and my insurance jumped $170 on my 16 year old car this summer, just in time for the provincial rate cut. My MPP never responded to my e-mail, my insurance company ignored my calls and tweets, but my MPP found the time to throw a local BBQ and a Canada Day fireworks party. I'm e-mailing the opposition leader this week to say why the heck should I live as a taxpayer in ON when ICBC welcomed my business?
    tjthemanto likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke_ View Post
    I have three accidents (no judgment please ) and was paying $450 A MONTH when I first moved to AB. Being a young driver, it was a hefty price. I realized this was insane and parked my car for a while. I shopped around and found insurance for $250 a month with a different broker. I was so happy with that simply because it was half of the previous insurance.
    In May I got a new job and some of my coworkers were talking about an insurance company where we get a corporate discount. I almost didn't call because I figure with three accidents there is no way they could do cheaper than $250. Luckily I called, because I now pay $108.83 a month. I almost cried when they quoted me this. Especially considering people, such as yourself, with no accidents are paying more than me!
    Maybe some of the accidents were not your fault.

My bro had an accident the cop and the collision centre told him its his fault , but the insurance company thought otherwise ..as they go by the accident determination rules

The cop can only investigate an accident , its not his job to assign blame .
    Brooke_ likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    I paid just under $800 for my car in BC, and when I moved to Ontario it jumped to $3000 because my 7 years of driving in another province didn't count?!?
    Yes, that's how it goes. I've never had car insurance in the province I live in now. Although I've had a drivers license for 20+ years, if I had a car here I'm considered a 'new driver.' Same thing I think if you let your insurance lapse for 18 months, you're back to being a new driver. One of many reasons why we don't own a car!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Yes, that's how it goes. I've never had car insurance in the province I live in now. Although I've had a drivers license for 20+ years, if I had a car here I'm considered a 'new driver.' Same thing I think if you let your insurance lapse for 18 months, you're back to being a new driver. One of many reasons why we don't own a car!
    I'm going to hazard a guess here- did you have to drive across a province or two to get to NS? How did you manage to cover all those dozens of km's with a mere 20+ years of experience accident free /sarcasm ? Good grief. Ontario has something similar if your insurance lapses; it goes up every year. My DF has a motorcycle license but we don't have a bike right now, so if he gets one again it will cost more in insurance than if he kept one insured but never rode it.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information