• 1 Post By emg
  • 8 Post By Natalka
  • 7 Post By ticul
  • 4 Post By Lyssia510
  • 3 Post By lecale
  • 1 Post By lecale
  • 7 Post By DianneS
  • 1 Post By luckbealady

Thread: Montreal Man Fined $ 162 for stopping Police for illegal turn - Police Power Trip

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I guess cop's clearly think that they are above the law & rules & regulations don't apply to them. This abuse of power & trust is why people are losing respect for them day by day.

Now they will put this innocent man's name in their database , and he will be harassed by them at every opportunity they get.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/west-islan...00620.htmlWest

West Island ( Montreal ) man fined $162 after stopping police for illegal turn
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

wow...im glad i dont live there. they probably thought they were "above the law"
    ticul likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    wow...im glad i dont live there. they probably thought they were "above the law"
    He is very lucky , they didn't beat him & then file false charges against him , like resisting arrest , obstructing justice..yada yada .

You will be surprised how much they can destroy your life with these false charges. Every time you apply for a job or try to cross the border , these things will show up in the back ground check, even if you are innocent.

Even if you are not convicted of anything & these false & baseless charges are thrown out in court , they will linger in the Police Data base.
    emg, ticul and GatineauGirl like this.

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Scary
    ticul likes this.
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't understand what kind of power trip the man thought he was on to do this; it was pretty ignorant of him.

We, as the public, don't know if the police are out on a call or not. They don't always use lights and sirens.
    He may not have deserved the ticket he got, but maybe one for being a nuisance...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I don't understand what kind of power trip the man thought he was on to do this; it was pretty ignorant of him.

We, as the public, don't know if the police are out on a call or not. They don't always use lights and sirens.
    He may not have deserved the ticket he got, but maybe one for being a nuisance...

Its quite obvious , who was on a power trip & its surely wasn't this man.

We don't live in a police state, where the cops are above the law. Breaking the law is breaking the law , irrespective of who does it. No one is above it.

I guess the cops should also go through red lights & stop signs & speed & tailgate & not signal, without their lights on , because we don't know if they are on a call or not.

The cops were obviously not on a call , otherwise they wouldn't have wasted their time in doing all the nonsense they just did.

What if the cops had caused an accident with their illegal turn ? If I am coming from the opposite side & know that there is no left hand turn in that area, the last thing I expect is a cop to take an illegal left hand turn without his lights on in front of me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

No one as the right to stop them. This Guy should have just made a plainte AND not stoping them. I think this guy was on a power trip also. I dont know what he was thinking, that he could just stop the Cops and complaint about their driving. All that said that guy do not deserve to be treated the way thei did but like you said Natalka, "He may not have deserved the ticket he got, but maybe one for being a nuisance" that is for sure.....................

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

I completely agree. Just because their lights aren't flashing does not mean they aren't on a call. Now that being said, it's possible that they weren't on a call and were just doing what they felt like doing because they can get away with it(and to be honest I see regular drivers do this stuff like this daily when they know they won't be caught/don't know the area well/hard to see signs etc).
    However it wasn't up to this man to chase the police offer down(and possibly be wasting their time responding to a serious situation), if he was that bothered by it, he should have taken down the plate number and the car number and called the police department to report it and let them look into it.
    I also not sure how he can demand damages from the officers? He got a ticket for honking his horn, probably won't even affect his insurance rates, how does need money for "damages"?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I can see a case for damages because news now is not just on tv but on the Internet and if his name and this charge cause people in his life to question him, it could put his reputation into difficulty.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:02 AM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
    GoJays likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Honestly...IMO Mr. Reilly needs to find something constructive to do with his time. Seems to me that he was on a power trip of his own. I have a feeling that if the police were on their way to deal with a call at Mr. Reilly's house he would be more than happy for them to make an "illegal turn" to get there more quickly. I don't live in Montreal where the 'climate' around police officers is different than here -- but really, how about some respect for the people who put themselves on the line every day. Mr. Reilly seems like a bit of a bully in his own right.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I am surprised the cop didn't give them any ticket for asking , why he was speeding & breaking the law, when driving in a police vehicle.

I guess just because he was a cop & driving a police vehicle ( although not with sirens blazing & not responding to any emergency ) he is allowed to break the law
    ..right ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Family devastated no charges laid after speeding police officer killed 5-year-old boy

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/family-de...-boy-1.2109227

The family of a five-year-old boy killed in a car crash by a speeding police officer is devastated the officer will not be charged.
    The boy was killed on February 13 when an SQ officer in an unmarked car travelling more than double the speed limit slammed into Mike Belance’s car at the intersection of Gaetan Boucher Blvd. and Davis Blvd. in Longueuil.
    Belance was driving his children to school and making a left-hand turn when he was rammed by an unmarked police car speeding at 122 km/h.

Three occupants of this car were badly hurt when they were rammed by a police car. The five-year-old boy later died of his injuries. (Feb. 13, 2014)
    The police car did not have any lights flashing or siren blasting, and was not responding to an emergency. The officer slammed on the brakes, hitting the car at 90 km/h.
    The speed limit in that zone is 50 km/h.
    Following a Montreal police investigation, the Crown prosecutor decided not to lay charges.
    The impact of the crash was so severe the car holding the Belance family was knocked several metres off the road.
    The five-year-old boy was taken to hospital with a skull fracture and other severe injuries, and died four days later in hospital without ever regaining consciousness.

“Whenever I think of him, I have to cry, because it's hard. It's hard for me, and especially for my husband. He doesn’t sleep,” said the boy’s grandmother, Kettelie Belance.
    His 14-year-old sister was badly hurt, as was Mr. Belance.
    Montreal's police department took over the investigation several hours after the crash, and earlier this month informed the Belance family there would not be any charges.
    The family says they still do not know the name of the driver who killed their son, and since charges will not be pressed they may never know.
    Islande Belance, the boy's aunt, cannot believe nobody will be charged for the death.

Because it's a cop it's different? Why?” she said. "Somebody just took his life. When I think about it it's so unfair. It's so unfair. This little boy was an angel. You see him and he was full of life."

The family has no idea why there are no charges. With no charges, the Crown prosecutor's office is not required to justify the decision.

Late Monday afternoon, the Crown prosecutor's office issued a statement saying it will meet with the family to provide an explanation in an effort to be transparent and maintain the public's confidence in the system.
    The move comes following questions from the opposition on the matter.

Justice Minister Stephanie Vallee told the National Assembly the family deserves an explanation from the Crown.

Public Security Minister Lise Theriault also said the government is already committed to putting an independent body in place by 2016 to handle investigations involving police officers.
    “I think that the fact of independent people making the inquiry it's a good thing to reassure the population,” she said.
    Paulin Aube of the Quebec Federation of Municipal Police is also calling for more transparency.
    “Whenthere are no charges filed against a police officer, we think it’s in our interest to inform the public the reasons why,” said Aube.
    The family is also exploring its options and is considering hiring a lawyer to get access to the investigative reports or file a civil suit.

Only in Quebec.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hope that family does file a civil suit. Unfortunately it will end up costing tax payers (because I find it hard to believe that the judge/jury would NOT find in their favour) - but that is ridiculous, and the family deserves something. Of course what the family really deserves is for that officer to be charged for causing an accident that hurt the family and killed their child because the officer was speeding.

I'm a big believer in respecting the authority of police (in your original post, although I thought the charges were a bit extreme, I was on the side of the police because the civilian was an idiot and should have just filed a complaint) - but in this case it is obvious that the officer was at fault, and committed a crime.
    abbasgirl likes this.

Thread Information