User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: I'm really proud of my parents. (Kind of a dumb story but I just needed to share)

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I always go to shoppers drug mart to get things on 20x points days, and, when I see deals that include points that I need, I'll make sure that I get those too. Then I give the points to my parents. As an incredibly hardworking people as they are (my dad works 60+ hours a week generally, and my mom works full time and crochets/knits incredible blankets in her spare time that she sells) they haven't recovered from a financial hardship that hit them a couple of years back and set them way, way, way back. Well we've worked it out so I just always kept transferring my points to their account. I figured if I was going to be buying myself the groceries anyways, get them at shoppers on those days and then they can get something out of it to. That way it helps them, and they're not asking their kids for money, because I know they'd sooner starve or suffer rather than doing that.

Well, the beginning of August I transferred my points over to them even though she told me she'd just bought groceries. So I said 'keep em until you need em, or just keep em until there's a really good redemption day'. Well having my place broken into in August and a lot of my stuff swiped, I haven't done a lot of shopping... at all. I've missed 20x points days and I've been living off my stockpile (thank god for that) in an effort to try and replace my things that I need. I hadn't talked to my mom about Shoppers, and I never checked if she'd spent the points or not. It was a worry of mine, what about the points and that I didn't have any to give them, but it was something that was in the back of my mind because I was so stressed about myself.

Well my mom emailed me tonight and said she was going to shoppers tomorrow and asked me if I could combine hers and my dads points because they were 100 points short of the next redemption level. She never really pays attention to her points levels and its usually me telling her how many she has/how much she has to spend with them, so I was surprised. Got on to transfer them and she has just about 50,000 points. I was so surprised and really, really happy! I called her up to tell her she had the 50,000 redemption and said "Why'd you keep the points so long?" She said "Truthfully, I really was ready to go get some things on Tuesday, but I remembered what you said about always checking to make sure the next weekends flyer special so I told your dad we'd wait till thursday to see the flyer and if it sucked we'd buy on thursday. And once I saw that flyer, well I'm sure glad I waited."

Then she said "Yeah, my daughter taught me how to shop and how to wait for the best days, and I'm sure glad she did because in cases like this, a little bit goes a long way!"

I don't know, I mean I know it's dumb but it just made me really happy 1)that she listens to me when I try to teach her these things and 2)because I don't have to worry about them at least for a couple of weeks now. My week has ended on a good note because of this, and I am counting my victory, small is it might be, it still counts in my eyes.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for sharing your story.. Reminds me even more on how much I miss my Mom..
    coupon girl, barbs, coley3 and 8 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ahhhh you are so nice to your parents -a wonderfull post -enjoy them -cause my parents are gone now ( I miss my mom terribly sometimes she has only been gone 5 months now)-but I always bought my mom bodywash,powder ,sometimes ensure cheap with my coupons as she lived with us -such a thoughtfull daughter you are -its nice to pay back our parents one way or another -they brought us into this world-so we can be there for them in their later years

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

That is a great story...loved it.

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

I know ,such a heart touching story,remembers of my mom who is thousands of miles away from me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I love your story. It reminds me if my parents. They never ask for anything but growing up they gave us kids everything.

Thanks for sharing.

Trading Score
    240 (100%)

Very nice brag!! Thx for sharing

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

That is certainly not a dumb story. I am very proud of you and love that you take care of your parents. I wish I could help. Do your parents need coupons if they are interested in starting to use, I would send you some to share with them.

I am also sorry about your break-in, I hope you are okay? what an awful and instrusive thing to happen. I hope you had insurance and you are not alone going through this. Do not hesitate to ask friends and family for help. From this post no doubt you are there for them as well.

Let me know if you need anything, I'm sure they did not steal your coupons but if soemthing happened I could be glad to help too in that respect.

Thank you for sharing your story and it is wonderful that you are there for your parents as they were there for you. You are a great daughter and we are proud of you. Take care.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Aww omg this isn't a dumb story! It's a smart story, from a canuck

Glad to have read this tonight.
    "Expecto Patronum!" - Harry Potter

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

wcblondie, so sorry about your own rotten break in that happened. I thought the story was wonderful, showing ultimate sacrifice, that is what life is about sometimes, putting someone else first ( your parents in this case) Hope you are all back on your feet financially very soon.

babies teach us acceptance

I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

You're such a sweet daughter!! Love your story. *HUGS*

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastblondie View Post
    Then she said "Yeah, my daughter taught me how to shop and how to wait for the best days, and I'm sure glad she did because in cases like this, a little bit goes a long way!"
    What a great thread. Not dumb story, at all.
    It would be so great if more families/generations helped each other out -- in small ways that add up really big.
    WTG.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nothing that makes someone happy is dumb! It's a great story. It seems like you have a good relationship with your mom. It's very heartwarming to see a daughter care for her parents. Thank you for sharing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

WOW and WOW!!!! This is NOT A DUMB story, at all. AU CONTRAIRE, this is a WONDERFULL STORY. Stories like this one really get to me, it is very touching and nice to read. Too many people dont care for others and it should be the other way around. You are a great daughter for your parents. I know that they were there for you but, now in this world of violence even if parents were the best parents in the world, lots of childrens dont care at all. Whatever they can get from them they take.

I hope, by reading this post that it will help some people and they will think, and than say, Yes (I should be there for my parents a little more). Most of us our parents struggle to give us a decent life, so, yes we should be there for them.

WestcoasBlondie, dont ever think that it is dumb to share about your parents. It is stories like this that we need to read. It make's us think and sometimes we need to be reminded.

Thank you, thank you so much for this nice post........................

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Not a dumb story at all. They really did well learning about the Optimum Points from you!

Yesterday my Mom asked me what I had planned for the weekend and I said I was doing an SDM redemption. She said she wanted me to teach her how to do it, which is awesome because if you do it right it is about a 35% return, and they recently retired so it will help with day-to-day expenses!
    coupon girl and oscarandme like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information