User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Question regarding Shoppers

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I am pretty new at collecting Shoppers points. So far just done 2 20X points when you spend 50.00 and no redemptions. On Friday, I was offered a coupon for 4000 points when you spend 20.00 on food and Snacks. Just wanted to know what is considered food and snacks. I went to Shoppers at lunch time but didn't buy anything because I was told Milk, Eggs, Juice, pop is not considered food or snacks and if the coupons reduce the bill below $20.00 I will have to buy more stuff. Seems pretty complicated. I had thought anything edible would be food and snacks but guess not. So, if I want to use it I will have to buy bread and a lot of junk to come to $20.00. Peanut Butter was 4.49 so didn't want to buy that either.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Shoppers Drug Mart
    plc likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think you were being misled.

I can't see why those things don't qualify.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

One thing I've learned from shopping at Shoppers is that they DO NOT train their staff anything about the Optimum program. I swear.
    And that coupon is very vauge because I have got a coupon for "get xx points when you spend $10 on pop and beverages"...
    However I have used the food one and bought milk, pop and cream. I did get my points. And manufacture coupons shouldn't matter. The system doesn't know what coupons were used for what. Just have them scan the SDM coupon anyways and check your reciept after.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Kwala, I have the same bonus coupon too and am wondering exactly what constitutes snacks, would pizza, chicken wings, pop qualify? curious what others have bought with it. Thanks.
    queeniecat123 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have received that coupon and used that coupon multiple times and EVERY time I bought milk, eggs, pop and juice. I have never been told that these items do not count. I have never used coupons to lower my total below $20 because it is a printed coupon and usually the cashier wont let me. That isn't a big deal for me anyway because eggs and milk are things I don't usually use coupons on anyway. I really believe that you were mislead. I am certain that those items count!!

Princess of Paying Less katie333's Avatar
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

You're right that these are vague. I think once the code is entered the system doesn't actually check for the product(s) because the UPC/SKU associated with 'food' and 'snacks' would be hundreds per store. I would be tempted to contact SDM 1800Shoppers and see what they say.
    Kate

Have a question about cross border coupon shopping? PM me!
    Earn free GC and more with Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

That is the easiest point coupon for me to use, every week 4 bags of milk, and then only need 2 packs of egg or bread, also used with soft drink, juce and chewy bars etc, worked with every thing.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

but each food item should have a department or sub department tied to the SKU. At least when I worked at Giant Tiger, that is how their system worked. The computer should be able to differentiate between sub categories of departments. Nooo idea about SDM. Just my experience
    mrskoka likes this.

plc
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I have the same issue. My coupon was 10x the points with $10 Food and Snack purchase. I bought diet coke, milk and sun chips and the coupon wouldn't work. I sent Shoppers an email asking what is classified as Food and Snack. I'm looking forward to their response.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Who told you milk and eggs are not FOOD? Those people need to look up a dictionary *rolls eyes*. You can use that bonus points coupon with confidence

I have received similar coupons in the past and have used it on milk, eggs, cheese, chips, bread, coffee, anything in the freezer, crackers, soup, pretty much everything in their food section. I think Perrier also

If you don't meet the requirements the machine will refuse the coupon. If that is the case, just go and get more of something else.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

If you are a few cents short of $10 the machine will refuse it. Could that have been the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by plc View Post
    I have the same issue. My coupon was 10x the points with $10 Food and Snack purchase. I bought diet coke, milk and sun chips and the coupon wouldn't work. I sent Shoppers an email asking what is classified as Food and Snack. I'm looking forward to their response.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

It was weird and very embarrassing. Luckily, there were not many people in the store. The cashier had started scanning the items and I was close to $53.00 but she kept adding stuff on her calculator and kept telling me I still don't have 20.00 of food and snack because most of my stuff was milk, eggs, juice, pop, cheese. I had some cookies and crackers as well but those were the only items she was counting. When I saw that I am going to end up spending over 50.00 - 60.00 to get 4000 points on stuff that I don't really want, I just asked her nicely if it is possible to just cancel the transaction and walked out of there. Anyways, I called Shoppers last night and at first the person who answered the phone told me that anything that can be consumed would be considered food and snacks. When I told him that was not the case, he said each store is operated separately and the manager can decide what they consider food and snacks but then he checked with somebody at the office and came back saying milk, juice and pop would be beverages. At night, I went to a different Shoppers and picked up juice, bread, eggs and milk and used the coupon. The cashier in that store didn't complain so I guess it really depends on the store you go to. Thank you everybody for responding.
    4sure5 and Holly0524 like this.

plc
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    If you are a few cents short of $10 the machine will refuse it. Could that have been the issue?
    I earned 180 points on purchase. So I don't think that was the issue. I was doing the transaction on a redemption day but was not redeeming my points.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This is not true. The computer will reject you if you don't meet the minimum after they type in the coupon code. You just had a cashier acting nonsensical. How are eggs not food? lol Next time maybe say "humour me" and have them type it in the computer anyway. Or have them call the supervisor. Saying cheese is not food is highly stupid (and I don't use the word "stupid" lightly). Wonder if she was only thinking of snacks. Also, I have never seen a cashier take out a calculator to see if you meet a minimum??? Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwala View Post
    . When I told him that was not the case, he said each store is operated separately and the manager can decide what they consider food and snacks but then he checked with somebody at the office and came back saying milk, juice and pop would be beverages. At night, I went to a different Shoppers and picked up juice, bread, eggs and milk and used the coupon. The cashier in that store didn't complain so I guess it really depends on the store you go to. Thank you everybody for responding.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Sep 10th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
    krysta lynne likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Hmmm

maybe the pop is not considered a "snack?"
    Quote Originally Posted by plc View Post
    I earned 180 points on purchase. So I don't think that was the issue. I was doing the transaction on a redemption day but was not redeeming my points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information