User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: QOTD: Tues 10 Sept: The Smartphone

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

It would seem that everyone has one these days...
    ...and they always seem to be more intersected in clicking away on it than interacting with the world around them...
    How have Smartphones changed the world?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by danger_dan; Tue, Sep 10th, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
    Natalka, ticul, Candini and 1 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I was actually having this conversation with my parents last night. I was joking with them that they have the nicest gadgets out there (nice cameras, iPad, very nice computer) and since my Dad retired last year... they share an old flip-phone - so old it doesn't even have texting capabilities. It just seems so at odds with their other splurges.

In the same conversation I was saying how I actually hate my smartphone. I hate the constant notifications, and the implication that things have to be done as soon as the phone blinks its light at me. I've gotten into a pattern as much as possible to only check it at given times of day, especially on weekends/days off. I use it for texting/calls/emails. I don't use my phone to surf the net, or to play games, or music. I don't use the nice features of a smartphone, so why on earth do I have it?
    Jina, Natalka, Crochetlady and 4 others like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i do like my smartphone, it is a beat up hand me down that went through 2 people before it got to me!

i use it mainly for reading, checking Fb, listening to music and for checking emails . the only thing i could not do on my old phone was read my kindle books, and that was painful

i am too cheap to buy a data plan, wifi is almost everywhere, and if it isn't, well i just kill time by reading the oodles of books i have downloaded for free.

i had a dumb-phone until recently, and would not have switched if i had not gotten the other one for free.

but i'm glad i did
    Last edited by anisa; Tue, Sep 10th, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
    Jina, Natalka, Crochetlady and 4 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i had a dumb-phone until recently...
    I like that
    Crochetlady likes this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I read in the news the other day how teenagers are adopting a bad posture (around the neck and upper back) because of constant leaning over the phone.

This is another article
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/20/health...iety-neck-pain

I use my smartphone primarily for calls, sometimes taking pictures, record a video and watch a show on long bus rides (which I don't anymore because I no longer take the bus). No monthly plan, just a pay as you go. I'm also not into the latest smartphones etc, just a basic one, easy to use. I don't text or use the apps.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't have a cell phone, let alone a smartphone.

However, my son has one - and it totally amazes me! Wish I could afford one - or some sort of portable device. I'm tied to a desktop.

What's good about my son, who is 21, is that he doesn't let it control him, he's pretty judicious with his use of it - they aren't joined at the hip.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am bad. I have a smartphone and it is honestly my lifeline, but I have to have it because of my kids.

When I am at the checkout at the store I am either reading the news or playing a game to pass the time, when I get a text I reply to it almost right away because I will forget if I don't. If I get a text and I don't want to talk to that person I will honestly go days without answering them and then tell them I didn't see it (I hate being constantly annoyed by some people). My calendar is in it...you get the picture.

I actually do not even have a home phone anymore because I am hardly home so there is not really a point in it.
    That being said, unless I am checking the time or I am expecting a message, I rarely use my phone when I am with someone. I think that is so rude. I was out with someone late last week for about an hour and when we were together they checked their phone 4 times. I asked them if they were expecting a call or something. Really annoyed me, made me think less of them actually. You a$$!!! Lol.

We were talking about this in my Sociology class the other day too....how instant communication technology and the Internet is driving people to be less social on a face to face basis and how it could be increasing people's social anxiety because they are no longer required to speak to people and look into their eyes, they can just type.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I have a smart phone,only because it was offered on a business plan my husband has.I could easily live without it.My phone stays in my purse unless it rings and to text the teenager to find out why he is late!!

I hate how people are always checking their phones or playing games on them, especially when I take my granddaughter to the park or something.I actually play with her or at the very least watch her while she plays..far more interesting than texting or reading something on the internet!!

I find teenagers are too connected, nothing is secret as news travels quickly with instagram, facebook etc.
    anisa, Jina, Natalka and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I have a smart phone,only because it was offered on a business plan my husband has.I could easily live without it.My phone stays in my purse unless it rings and to text the teenager to find out why he is late!!

I hate how people are always checking their phones or playing games on them, especially when I take my granddaughter to the park or something.I actually play with her or at the very least watch her while she plays..far more interesting than texting or reading something on the internet!!

I find teenagers are too connected, nothing is secret as news travels quickly with instagram, facebook etc.
    It is funny that you say that about teens.
    Yesterday in class the teacher was going on about cell phones and social media and how she hates them so everyone better put them away.
    We were then divided up into groups to do an assignment and there were 6 of us. Two of the girls in the group were in their phones and not paying attention while myself and the others did all of the work for it.
    It boggles my mind that they are doing this while they are suppose to be paying attention in a class that they paid money to attend.
    These kids are not in high school anymore, this is the real world and the start of the rest of your life. Pathetic.
    I am actually looking forward to seeing how many people flunk out of first year because of this attitude.
    anisa, Jina, Natalka and 5 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Yesterday in class the teacher was going on about cell phones and social media and how she hates them so everyone better put them away.
    We were then divided up into groups to do an assignment and there were 6 of us. Two of the girls in the group were in their phones and not paying attention while myself and the others did all of the work for it.
    It boggles my mind that they are doing this while they are suppose to be paying attention in a class that they paid money to attend.
    These kids are not in high school anymore, this is the real world and the start of the rest of your life. Pathetic.
    I am actually looking forward to seeing how many people flunk out of first year because of this attitude.
    I agree it is pathetic, I find the women in their early 20's in our office are always on there phones at work and it drives me nuts. We actually have a no phones at the supper table in our home and when my 24 year old comes for dinner I have to tell her that the phone goes away.I will not eat dinner with a phone constantly dinging with text notifications.
    anisa, Jina, Natalka and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I agree it is pathetic, I find the women in their early 20's in our office are always on there phones at work and it drives me nuts. We actually have a no phones at the supper table in our home and when my 24 year old comes for dinner I have to tell her that the phone goes away.I will not eat dinner with a phone constantly dinging with text notifications.
    The Lady and I have a similar rule, which we enforce with family and friend as well when they are over.
    We have a soft cushiony pad (kind of like a mouse pad) that sits right beside the key dish by the front door. Keys in the dish, and phones on the pad (on vibrate, we don't want to here the 'ding'). Only phones not on vibrate are our phones.
    anisa, Jina, Natalka and 3 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree, kids nowadays spend too much time on their phones.
    and the computers/laptops in their bedroom....but this is another topic which deserves its own thread lol.
    anisa, danger_dan, ticul and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I love my iPhone. Its a blessing and a curse.

I like being able to make phone calls, check emails, do banking, pay bills, use GPS etc

But I friggen HATE when my facebook chime going off, then a text, then a missed phone call followed by a voice mail. All by the same person.

Edit* Not to mention if all of the above while I am at home and then my house phone rings. Drives me nuts.
    Last edited by Candini; Tue, Sep 10th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post

I highly doubt that they worked their ass off to pay out of pocket for a class they don`t pay attention to.
    anisa and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Both my husband and I have cell phones and we use them sparingly (honey...can you pick this up at the grocery store while you're there?, kind of thing). However...seeing a family sitting at a table, or visiting a park or just anyone being together while they're all on their individual cell phones is truly sad, imho. To answer your question, yes, emphatically YES, they have changed the way people interact with each other. Kids are losing their verbal communication skills, if they bother to verbalize to anyone at all, and are an unpleasant bunch to look at in restaurants, etc. All dug into their phones as if their very lives depend on knowing who's doing what with or to whom at any given moment! I consider myself a pretty "with it" old lady, and don't usually get my knickers in a twist over things "kids nowadays do", but this one really bothers me. I hate to think what the next generation will be going. I suspect they'll have implanted devices so that they don't even have to worry about carrying the things! Rant over. And thank you. Dan, you can really get me going some days!!!
    abbasgirl, walkonby, toban and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information