User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Packages of biscuits - reduction in size

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just sent the following self explanatory web mail to Mondelez International, the parent company of Peek Freens biscuits.

"I have been buying and enjoying Peek Freens biscuits literally for decades. They used to be sold in 400g packages. That was reduced several years ago to 350g packages. I bought them recently at my local Atlantic Superstore here in Nova Scotia for $3.69 a packet. Now your biscuits have again been reduced in size to 300g and now sell at the same store for $3.89.

This note is to inform you that your marketing practices have annoyed me, your customer, to the point that my family will no longer purchase your products, as good as they are. To continue purchasing them under such circumstances would be an ovine acceptance of such an underhand practise.

The price increase per gram of biscuit is 23%. Please enlighten me what possible justification can there be for such an increase. At the same time, smaller packaging of such product means an increase in the ratio of packaging materials to the weight of the product inside. Put simply, the change means you are creating more costly packaging waste to be handled at landfills and recycling centres. Are you content that Peek Freens be part of the growing waste problem and not part of the solution?

I note also, with interest, that your web site still shows your biscuits in 350g sized packages.

Your comments on all these matters would be appreciated. By the way, I and my family are pensioners on fixed incomes. In spite of that I know of no working persons who would be content to cope with a 23% rise in food prices."

While I await their reply, i am posting it here to generate some discussion. In Europe package sizes are far smaller than here in North America, at least until now. By buying larger packages of product, we reduce packaging waste and benefit from lower overall prices. There has been a trend here these last several years to reduce sizes while, at the same time, increasing prices. Are we content with this? If not, what, if anything, are you doing about it? I am bending as many ears as I can, store managers, head offices, manufacturers, friends, newspapers, etc. This has got to stop. While Peek Freens is the subject here, it applies to many others.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS
    Last edited by Buddyboy546; Fri, Sep 13th, 2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add photo
    Silk, Tweets77, BuggaBugga and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

This makes me mad too! Everythings shrinking but the price!
    wolfwoman likes this.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Please don't hound front store managers about this. It's way beyond their control. Store managers only order and stock the products as directed by head office.

I do agree with your argument. It's shocking how many people don't notice this happening though. They continue to purchase the same product for the same price year after year not knowing they are being ripped off.
    pippinelkhound and Dee09 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry men! I noticed that women's hygiene products are going the same way. They used to come in boxes of 20 (you know, every 6 hours for 5 days = 20 *box recommendation*), now it's 16. So now for many, a box doesn't even last the full "week". THAT ticks me off but it's not like you can stop buying them.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I completely agree that it's ridiculous how the size of packages is shrinking.

I think you'll get a response though, that the decrease in package size is done in order to keep costs to consumer lower - which is dumb, because you're still paying more for less.
    Dee09, CrazyQT and lghend like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, yup, the prices go up and the size of cookie packages go down.

Here's the positive side: we only buy Peek Freans when they go on sale. Now it's a treat. You quoted $3.xx for a box? Last week Loblaws in ON has selected Peek Freans for $1.44, which is a good deal. We combine our PC Plus points ($20) or our Air Miles points ($10)when Metro has them for sale ($1.99) to get these for FREE. No Frills will have a Peek Freans sale about every 4 months or so.

I hope this helps. You can find them for cheaper or get them for free - even when the package is getting smaller and smaller.
    Silk, Dee09, lecale and 6 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Frustrating for sure!! As some of you know, I have recently discovered mice in my house - this prompted me to go through/pack up my pantry with a fine tooth comb, and as I was doing so, I noticed that some of the 'newer' (i.e., with farther away expiry dates, so bought most recently) boxes of both Raisin Bran and Kashi cereals were smaller in size (i.e., fewer grams) than the older ones. The boxes themselves seem to be about the same size, but the gram-age is less... companies are definitely sneaky about it!
    Dee09 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did receive a reply from Peek Freans, or was it Mondelez International? I'm not sure. You'll understand why when you have read their response and their signature:

Hi (first name),

Thank you for visiting http://www.snackworks.com/.

Thank you for sharing your comments. We always aim to provide the right value to our consumers and may introduce new package sizes, or adjust the sizes of our products to do so. In today’s challenging economic environment, in which many consumers are working within tight budgets, we look at the whole picture and evaluate how we can provide value through price, size and packaging.

We listen closely to our consumers, and we have heard from many that they would prefer to have a slightly smaller package size as an alternative to an increased cost so that they can still enjoy the products they love at a price point that works within their budgets.

As always, we will continue to listen to feedback and always strive to provide the best solution to our consumers’ needs.

Thank you for your loyalty and contacting us. Please add our site to your favourites and visit us again soon!

Adele Stapley
    Operations Manager

Well, I never did visit snackworks.com, but I see the Mondelez name mentioned on their site. According to them they are simply responding to customers' requests for smaller packages. Needless to say I have switched brands away from theirs. Something really has to be done about all this. I am going to respond to their fatuous statements and will post here if I hear back.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy546 View Post
    Needless to say I have switched brands away from theirs. Something really has to be done about all this.
    What did you think about my suggestions in post #6?
    Just curious

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

My ( the one I buy ) Breyers and Nestle ice cream has gone down from 2L to 1.5 L in the last few years ..very sneaky of them.

Same with Toothpaste , Toilet paper , laundry detergent etc ..they think people won't notice it , if they keep the price same but reduce the size ..as opposed to just increasing the price
    pippinelkhound and redhdlois like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

old dutch has done this again to. they went from a 200g bag down to a 180g bag it used to be that boxes (of 2 bags) were 200g the bags of chips were 250g but now the boxes keep shrinking in size (i think they are down to 180 maybe even 160 now!) and to make up for the ever shrinking bags they bring out a new sized XL bag of chips at 270g

i've also noticed the ice cream has gone from 2L to 1.5L to 1.47L now they are just skimming chapmans is the only 2L that is still a solid 2L (and they even market that way)

i wouldn't be so annoyed with them if they gave people a heads up.. instead of "sneaking" it through they should be open about it and stop making excuses saying "people want smaller packaging" what is complete bull people want regular packaging people want the full product not having it sneaked away from them cloak and dagger style
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I, too, have noticed it with all kinds of things.
    Latest one I noticed is Cheez Whiz used to be 1 kg, now 900g (though it's funny because on their site it says it is 900 kg, lol!

I do understand prices having to go up - as many food products have.

However, I wish some things would have kept the same size, and just have the price go up.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you happen to be wealthy enough to shop at Safeway, you will notice that even though the packaging gets smaller, the prices still rise on a regular basis.
    Natalka likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    Sorry men! I noticed that women's hygiene products are going the same way. They used to come in boxes of 20 (you know, every 6 hours for 5 days = 20 *box recommendation*), now it's 16. So now for many, a box doesn't even last the full "week". THAT ticks me off but it's not like you can stop buying them.
    You can stop buying them if you use reusable pads and/or reusable cups. Saves hundreds of dollars a year (or more!) ... Not to mention the health and environmental benefits
    maggiespice and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I, too, have noticed it with all kinds of things.
    Latest one I noticed is Cheez Whiz used to be 1 kg, now 900g (though it's funny because on their site it says it is 900 kg, lol!

I do understand prices having to go up - as many food products have.

However, I wish some things would have kept the same size, and just have the price go up.

I noticed in the store that the Cheez Whiz 500g has also gone down to 450g.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information