• 6 Post By ninna
  • 6 Post By Lynn49
  • 5 Post By Natalka
  • 2 Post By TooCouponCrazy
  • 1 Post By toban

Thread: QOTD: Mon. Nov. 3: Influences

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Mentors and role models: teachers, parents, friends, authors, etc.
    - many people come into our sphere of influence through our lives.

Some stand out more than others, those who have helped us in some way along our path, whether by word or deed.

Who has influenced you in your life,
    as a child, and/or as an adult,
    and how?

(no names needed...)

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Influences? Wow. There's so many!

DH: for just being himself which was enough to keep me on a life time of adventures! Since meeting him I have done things I never imagined and become a MUCH better, stronger person than I ever was without him.

My FIL: for believing in me and supporting me emotionally and financially to help me realize a dream I had about 6 years ago. Realizing that dream has changed me completely. I'm much happier and more confident and I love the freedom that change has afforded me.

My sister: This is going to sound weird and morbid, but my sister died when I was 9 years old. That single event has shaped my life in ways I will never fully appreciate. Some of it was negative (it nearly broke my parents and my childhood was lonely ever thereafter) but her death also made me appreciate life to the absolute fullest every day because I was suddenly aware of how quickly it can be taken from you too. So by dying, she taught me to focus on what truly matters, to enjoy all that I have in this moment now, to say the things I want to say now (rather than waiting til some other time), and to appreciate every moment of this beautiful life.

A member of SC (Eric53) who posted about his lung cancer thus compelling me to quit smoking. I've been quit for 3 years and 3 months and loving every minute of it!

I'm sure there's more but that's just 4 off the top of my head
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

How about a negative influence in early childhood (not my loving parents) who caused me to live the rest of my life living the words to Kelly Clarkson's song, "Because Of You".

On the positive side, a HS teacher who once told the class that she'd expect to read one of my novels one day; I've yet, lol, to write one, but her faith in me gave me so much confidence.

My boyfriend, now husband of 44 years, who loved me through the night terrors I had for so many years...who saw a scared girl grow into a woman who could face cameras and microphones, delivering her speech on a gov't 'white paper' with all the confidence in the world and who went on to do more public speaking....a place no one would have ever guessed I'd get to.....

My parents who taught me how to love, support, respect others, and how to celebrate!
    Natalka, TaraF, lecale and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My parents were the biggest influences, all wonderfully positive, each for different reasons.

Others seem to be mostly teachers:

Gr. 4 - because of her encouragement of learning harder things than we 'should' have at our age

Gr. 5 - a crazy-fun teacher who really pushed me with my creative writing

Gr. 7 - principal, but also had him as teacher (and years later, I was a teacher myself with him!) - for several reasons. First he began an academic talents program, which I was in, where I got to do things like tutor Gr. 1 kids, and the group of us eight students were able to go on science field trips on our own. Secondly, when I had him as a Gr. 6 teacher, it was the first I heard of cultural anthropology - something I would end up studying at university and being interested in all my life.

Gr. 10 - homeroom and English teacher - first teacher to break away from curriculum and let us do contract assignments - freedom! First teacher I also became true friends with away from school.

At my first full-time job, a woman who I worked for and became very good friends with was a very big influence on me. She was a true 'woman of the world', end of the hippie era, had lived on a kibbutz, travelled the world, etc. - I learned a great deal from her. She taught me to let go...

Then, there is my husband. He helped me to finish blooming.
    TaraF, Lynn49, ninna and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Too many to mention.

My grandparents, teachers and a particular university prof who just drove me crazy but taught me so much at the same time. She was both my best and worst teacher of all time, lol.
    Natalka and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had someone help, encourage me about a very dangerous situation I was in for a number of years. If it hadn't been for this person, I wouldn't be alive today.
    Natalka likes this.

Thread Information