• 3 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 4 Post By natynat
  • 2 Post By walkonby
  • 3 Post By Tinkerbella
  • 3 Post By natynat

Thread: It's frustrating when...

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

My biggest resolution for 2014 was to eat healthier. So since the end of December, I have been a vegetarian . There are "unhealthy" vegetarians who don't actually like vegetables and/or fruits and fill up on carbs and refined white flour. My meals, however, consist of approximately 90% raw fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I will have some brown rice, buckwheat or quinoa. I don't drink dairy milk--only soya or almond. From time to time I will enjoy a slice of cheese or a bit of yogurt, but that's rare.

I'm slowly building my tolerance towards veganism. My goal is for September to be a vegan .

What really bothers me is that somehow, the choices that I make in MY diet offends OTHER people. I have had people (friends, family, co-workers) tell me how I am in the wrong because I NEED meat in my diet. Although some people are doubtful, others have taken the liberty to tell me that I am uneducated and I am doing harm to my body.

The fact is that I get more iron, fiber and vitamins from my plant-based diet is too much for them to understand. I feel better, lighter and more energetic than I have felt in as long as I can remember. Yet, somehow...meat, in their minds is an essential part of my diet that I am ignoring....I wish that they'd just be happy for me instead of finding ways of criticizing and/or doubting me. I guess they're just waiting for me to "break" and go back to eating meat, but that won't happen.

Rant over.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    Last edited by natynat; Thu, Mar 6th, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
    ROMEO, Patty Smyth and walkonby like this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They need to lay off and mind their own business. It's your life, your choice.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I WISH I had your commitment to eliminate meat. There is more than enough evidence to show that not eating meat is completely healthy, do not listen to what others are saying, go by how your body and mind feels, which as you say is greatly improved! Congrats.
    ROMEO and natynat like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We have been vegan for almost 2 years now and when people say "Where do you get your protein" I say the same place as an elephant, rhino and cow.

No one in the world cares about what you eat until you tell them you are vegetarian then they all become "experts" on protein. Asswipes.

I am long over their ignorance and have been known to walk away from people who start with me on this .

They are ignorant beyond belief. Be prepared for a long journey trying to convince the ignorant that what you are doing is healthy and be prepared for them to ridicule you to no end.

No we do not need meat, dairy, eggs, cheese etc to be healthy in fact those are the foods that contribute most to the illness in the western diet and we all know how that's working out.

If they want to educate themselves you can tell them to start by watching the documentaries Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Thu, Mar 6th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
    ROMEO, walkonby, Candini and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

So many people think meat and potatoes is so delicious and that's actually so bad for you because it takes so long to digest.

You can`t keep everyone happy. Learned that long ago.

Meat is gross anyway. Worry about yourself!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    We have been vegan for almost 2 years now and when people say "Where do you get your protein" I say the same place as an elephant, rhino and cow.

No one in the world cares about what you eat until you tell them you are vegetarian then they all become "experts" on protein. Asswipes.

I am long over their ignorance and have been known to walk away from people who start with me on this .

They are ignorant beyond belief. Be prepared for a long journey trying to convince the ignorant that what you are doing is healthy and be prepared for them to ridicule you to no end.

No we do not need meat, dairy, eggs, cheese etc to be healthy in fact those are the foods that contribute most to the illness in the western diet and we all know how that's working out.

If they want to educate themselves you can tell them to start by watching the documentaries Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.
    Oh Patty, how you have made me smile and laugh. I love your enthusiasm and attitude towards this whole thing. I have watched both those documentaries as well as a multitude of others, and now reading "Eat to Live". My mom has been very supportive of me and watched some documentaries. She doesn't eat fruits or vegetables and loves her potatoes, fish and meat. She's also suffering from high blood pressure, thyroid problems and other issues...although she is not close to being obese. I try what I can do to tell her it's better for her. The other people however, I have started to ignore...Congratulations to you and your family!!!
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Just want to call out Fat sick and nearly dead was a great documentary.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I WISH I had your commitment to eliminate meat. There is more than enough evidence to show that not eating meat is completely healthy, do not listen to what others are saying, go by how your body and mind feels, which as you say is greatly improved! Congrats.
    Thank you! I watched enough documentaries to throw me off meat before I even started. However, meat was always a staple in my diet...especially since I was born in eastern Russia where fruits and vegetables were considered a luxury in the winter. Back there, meat was truly essential. Here, however, we are priveleged enough to have fresh fruit and vegetables all year around. Therefore, I decided to switch over to the "other side" and have not regretted it once since.
    ROMEO, walkonby and Candini like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    Thank you! I watched enough documentaries to throw me off meat before I even started. However, meat was always a staple in my diet...especially since I was born in eastern Russia where fruits and vegetables were considered a luxury in the winter. Back there, meat was truly essential. Here, however, we are priveleged enough to have fresh fruit and vegetables all year around. Therefore, I decided to switch over to the "other side" and have not regretted it once since.
    You hit it on the head with the statement about meat being essential. This is an antiquated way of thinking. Yes we at one time had to rely on meat as a staple and fish because we are not good predators. Now we no longer have to rely on animals for food we have enough farmland, equipment, know how, global transportation methods to feed us year round with fruits and vegetables.

We became vegan for health reasons primarily but we are also animals lovers and the longer we go without meat I do understand the so called "militant vegans" and their reasons for being vegan. It's not just about health anymore for me either. It's about preserving a sustainable lifestyle and for us it means not meat, dairy etc.

I expanded my garden last fall and will be self sufficient in greens, from July until November once again. Yup I was picking Kale in November We found local farmers that grow just about everything we need also.

BUT we don't push it on anyone, unless they are truly interested, and in return we don't like to be "lectured" about our diet either

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Just want to say also that although my kids are 95% vegan I do not ban them from eating meat or cheese occasionally if they really want it. I don't want them to think it's off limits. They do eat chicken once and a while , maybe once every few months. DD still likes to have bacon also. We weened them off things gradually for example it took my DD a whole year to get of white bread. Now she won't go near it and ASKS enthusiastically for whole grain breads and whole wheat pastas too.
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Thu, Mar 6th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

You're so lucky that you can grow your own stuff! I can't wait to have a house and have my own garden . I also think that it's good that your kids have that "right" to eat what they want. I have no kids of my own, but I know that when kids have no choice, and are forced to do something, they usually rebel. Having that liberty, they may not even want to take it because they have no need for it. Modelling healthy eating is kind of like teaching them about eating well, but implicitly. Well done .

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

so glad I checked back in to see some wonderful posts added here. Congrats again natynat!!
    ROMEO and Patty Smyth like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    102 (97%)

Just want to say also that although my kids are 95% vegan I do not ban them from eating meat or cheese occasionally if they really want it. I don't want them to think it's off limits. They do eat chicken once and a while , maybe once every few months. DD still likes to have bacon also. We weened them off things gradually for example it took my DD a whole year to get of white bread. Now she won't go near it and ASKS enthusiastically for whole grain breads and whole wheat pastas too.
    HI Patty That is awesome that you are Vegan. I am as well, and I hear you on everyone becoming an expert of Protein when you tell them. There is an AMAZING blog post where you can send anyone who argues ANYTHING about Veganism, this person really covered ALL the objections and excuses

http://www.utopianrevolutions.com/co...gan-arguments/

Veganism really is the way to go. You're going to be healthier, less Animals will suffer needlessly and you're improving the environment. How can anyone argue against that?

*Vegan Hugs*
    FT: TONS of $1 Unilever Icecream,including BREYERS! EXP: AUG 31ST!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to memorize some of those arguments lol

Thread Information