Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By erin9mmm
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By kellyanna_99

Thread: Frustrated with new job, asking for schedule not agreed to

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

A bit frustrated with my new job. I just started Monday with a new respite client, with significantly more hours then my last client, and workable in my schedule (m-W-f, eow 24 hour respite when my kids are at their dads). I was clear on this when I interviewed with the mom. They adminster the funds themselves, as opposed to an agency, so it's just them to deal with . THey are nice, their adult child is nice, relatively easy so far. Decent money for the work (and considering I'm newly back to the workforce, outside of some part time editing stuff at home and no work in teaching/library, which my degrees are in). Today, when I asked if she wanted the respite F-S or S-S for next weekend, she also mentioned that they would want flexibility on the weekend schedule, in case they have something to do. I had said, very occasionally this would be okay, but my kids go two weekends a month to their dad's, and I would like the other weekends to be our time, not working, not to mention, they have things on those saturdays. So now, 2 days in, I have to discuss this. I don't want to sour this, but need to set this as a firm boundary, as I don't want to be working every weekend I have my kids, especially when I agreed to that. Also, stuck as I need the work, especially paying for some legal things. Argh. Just frustrated.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think this problem is workable. You are lucky that you just started this job because it would be a lot harder to rework a schedule after a few months had gone by. What you should do is before you go to discuss it again with her go to the dollar store and get 2 small calendars. Then when you sit down to discuss the schedule just word it in a way that you want this to work for both of you and then start filling in dates on both calendars. It will be more professional too if it is written down. Hope that helps.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by erin9mmm View Post
    I think this problem is workable. You are lucky that you just started this job because it would be a lot harder to rework a schedule after a few months had gone by. What you should do is before you go to discuss it again with her go to the dollar store and get 2 small calendars. Then when you sit down to discuss the schedule just word it in a way that you want this to work for both of you and then start filling in dates on both calendars. It will be more professional too if it is written down. Hope that helps.
    I agree. A written schedule agreed upon ahead of time is professional.
    kellyanna_99 and i_forget like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Thanks for the advice, and mainly the vent . Sometimes you just need to get it out. We talked on Friday, and we were both misunderstanding each other, but meaning the same thing, or close to it. All is good !
    abbasgirl likes this.

Thread Information