User Tag List

Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree6510Likes

Thread: October Frugal Chatter - Harvest the Savings

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ah, October. I've always loved this time of year, even though the days are getting shorter. There's just something in the air that revitalizes me more than any other season. Spring is nice, but we use the time and getting ready to wind down for the lazy days of summer, and winter is for hibernating and enjoying our home. But Fall, that's where the real action is.

For me personally, Fall is the time for resolutions and making them stick. Fall is the time to seriously look at my diet and start cooking for fun. Fall is the time to go through my house and get rid of the stuff that no longer serves. Fall is the time to open my yarn and fabric stash and start crafting in preperation for Christmas.

There are just so many reasons to love this season. What's yours?

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    wwow October -first half of this year was a crappy one for me(my mom passed plus other stuff) -lets hope this baby comes soon -oh 12 more days til her due date -cant wait to hold her in my arms-xmas I don't even care -nobody to wake up xmas morning -only hubby and and we don't buy for each other stopped years ago -when hubby bought me a white knit suit 4 sizes too small -yep I cried and we stopped buying for each other-just went to ikea on sunday -why oh why did we pick that day??? tooo busy -oh well bought a lovely red rug (30.00)beside our bed and a floor plant(14.99) and pot (12.99)for our bedroom -I feel like I am in an oasis or heaven-wish my mom could see the room that was hers for years -oh and something I am really proud of -yep that was my September goal to finish the room and make it clutterfree and I achieved that goal -next goal cant say -will tell you as I achieve it
    coupon girl...too funny...it reminds me of the Xmas when I got the hot water bottle, yep! a hot water bottle...I remember asking what was I supposed to do with it? (I have an heating pad). I just asked for the receipt and kindly took it back to the store...my reason when asked why I was returning it...I told her even my Mom and Grandmother stopped using these in the 70's she just said ok, and refunded me the money, I then got a nice hot chocolate mug set.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Anyone from Ottawa here? If not, look into your community for the same opportunity.

A couple of years ago, Ottawa came up with this fabulous idea if you want to get rid of stuff without too much effort. The city designates two weekends a year as "Give Away Weekend", where residents can put stuff out at the curb for anyone to pick up at their leisure. It's a great alternative to just throwing it out.

The next one coming up is the weekend of October 26 & 27.

I don't think the city does a lot of advertising on it, but the pros know about this weekend, and they take advantage. I've gotten rid of stuff that even I was surprised some people took. Even broken small appliances labelled as such go when they're free, but used furniture in good condition are the big winners. Since I've been aware of these weekends, I've set a side a corner of my basement just for the stuff I'll be getting rid of. It's so much easier than going through the hassle of transporting that stuff to all the different charities and/or holding a garage sale.

Anyway, all this to say that one of my goals this month is to have more useless stuff out of my house by Halloween.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Hi All
    Happy October
    Name:  october.png
Views: 260
Size:  306.7 KB

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Ah, October. I've always loved this time of year, even though the days are getting shorter. There's just something in the air that revitalizes me more than any other season. Spring is nice, but we use the time and getting ready to wind down for the lazy days of summer, and winter is for hibernating and enjoying our home. But Fall, that's where the real action is.

For me personally, Fall is the time for resolutions and making them stick. Fall is the time to seriously look at my diet and start cooking for fun. Fall is the time to go through my house and get rid of the stuff that no longer serves. Fall is the time to open my yarn and fabric stash and start crafting in preperation for Christmas.

There are just so many reasons to love this season. What's yours?
    Couldn't agree more. I always say Labour Day is my New Year's! Brought a bunch of stuff to the consignment shop the other day, started pulling out the sweaters (though it's 25 in Ottawa right now...), went apple picking with my family and to the farmer's market on the weekend. I love the smell of wood burning - Fall is fantastic.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

October Goals:

- Find a chance to shower every day... honestly I have to make this a GOAL with the new baby here that doesn't sleep some days
    - Start making homemade Christmas gifts... DS' felt food is the main priority but also want to start making some greeting card sets that I am going to give away.
    - Use up foods in the freezer to make room for sales. We are packed full already even after the big defrost and have no room to stock up on Turkeys this week So far I dug out a Shepherd's pie for lunch this week, 2 bbq chicken packets for dinner tonight and a bag of chicken noodle soup and stew for 1 dinner and 1 lunch. Now at least I can buy ONE turkey this week and a couple pizzas lol.
    - Get creative with stockpile foods to use up stock and save money. DS will soon start receiving waffles in his school lunches, bagels/cream cheese, frozen yogurt tubes, canned pineapple, random crackers, etc.
    - Organize coupon binder and incoming coupons at least once per week and do more trades
    - Organize closets (baby's, front hall, back patio, DS') and purge as much as possible

- Organize stockpile room (once DH cleans out all his tools, etc from fixing the furnace)

- Organize and purge papers, bills, etc.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Does anyone know of a good goal app for iphone?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

We have a wedding to go to in 3 weeks. I was going to go to Sears and buy a new dress on the weekend with MIL but circumstances changed and we were unable to go. Came home and realized I have an almost new dress in my closet that I can wear, only wore once on our cruise a year and a half ago for formal night. Win win! Saved $60+ :D

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

For me I love both Spring and Fall. Spring is when you are coming out of winter and produce starts to look better and the prices improve it makes me want to eat all those summer foods, salads veggie trays and than Fall, Fall is when I nest and want to put food down for the winter, it is harvest time.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    lol, this is my picky kid who loves KD so much that it has a name... "Mac". I did not mind it and have tried alot of the GF stuff (not GF, just curious). The bread I can't get my head around. But lots of the treats/snacks are just as yummy and i think it is trial and error. It is so much better now that it has gone mainstream as far as selection. Try the bulk barn and just get a small amount and then you won't feel its a waste if you don't like it. Also if you have a healthfood store they may do sampling.
    Some of the GF stuff is OK, but you're right, the bread is crap. Luckily Alexa's only 11 months so has never really had regular bread (well, not that she remembers!). I'm hoping she grows out of this, but it's amazing at how it's become a trend. Why would anyone do it by choice! I was at a fast food place last night (burrito bar...so fast food, but not McD's type lol) and they now offer GF tortillas. I was pumped cause I could get A one, but the two teens/early 20somethings behind me asked for GF, until they were told that they would be smaller (as a 'heads up') because of limitations of the supplier. They said "ok, never mind, white tortillas are fine"...apparently they don't like the taste of whole wheat. I asked the guy that works there after, and he said it's amazing at the people who order GF just because.

I get the rice flour pasta because...it just tastes like rice! lol. I actually purged a lot of stuff from our cupboards this past Sunday and am donating them because they're just taking up space in the kitchen and the GF stuff that we are actually using regularly is sitting on the counter. MOST of it was pasta. Booo!

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    October Goals:

- Find a chance to shower every day... honestly I have to make this a GOAL with the new baby here that doesn't sleep some days
    - Start making homemade Christmas gifts... DS' felt food is the main priority but also want to start making some greeting card sets that I am going to give away.
    - Use up foods in the freezer to make room for sales. We are packed full already even after the big defrost and have no room to stock up on Turkeys this week So far I dug out a Shepherd's pie for lunch this week, 2 bbq chicken packets for dinner tonight and a bag of chicken noodle soup and stew for 1 dinner and 1 lunch. Now at least I can buy ONE turkey this week and a couple pizzas lol.
    - Get creative with stockpile foods to use up stock and save money. DS will soon start receiving waffles in his school lunches, bagels/cream cheese, frozen yogurt tubes, canned pineapple, random crackers, etc.
    - Organize coupon binder and incoming coupons at least once per week and do more trades
    - Organize closets (baby's, front hall, back patio, DS') and purge as much as possible

- Organize stockpile room (once DH cleans out all his tools, etc from fixing the furnace)

- Organize and purge papers, bills, etc.
    I really like some of your goals. May be borrowing for November!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Anyone have extras of the pampers (PnG insert) from last weekend? They are $2. I can trade for anything else from the insert and have tons of other stuff. Please pm me

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

well after nearly 30 minutes sitting in the osap office.. we think someone may have screwed up somewhere.. ya think.. hoping to hear back in the next few days what to do.. OI!!!!
    on a very upsetting note.. someone took some property from our home..wow. nerve.. hope whoever took it.. has karma bite them in the ass.
    thank goodness for buses and passes provided by the school.. my son has his first job interview tomorrow. crossing my fingers.
    was going to head to Metro today to see if they had any glade warmers. nope still out.. geez i only want 3.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I feel like trash today with my above post posted,all my life fall down
    avoncallingu and Frugal Lisa like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    Anyone have extras of the pampers (PnG insert) from last weekend? They are $2. I can trade for anything else from the insert and have tons of other stuff. Please pm me
    I just have one copy, but you can have it. PM your addie and I will send it, no need for a trade.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well I was pleased to do my shopping today on 10% Tuesday. I got a weeks worth of groceries for our family of 4 for $90 so I am very happy with that.

Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread Information