User Tag List

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Has anyone else tried out the new Goody hair accessories? They're for longer hair, and include the Modern Updo Pin, Spin Pins and Bun Spiral. They sell for about $7 at Walmart. That's kind of expensive IMO for what they are, and the amount of packaging on the darned things is ridiculous! But on with the review!

My hair is fairly long, and while I can French braid quite quickly and there's always ponytails, I'm always looking for an easy, quick, but pretty way to put my hair up, especially in summer. I'm actually dying to cut it, but I'm hoping to donate it and have a ways to go.

My first purchase was the bun spiral. While it is easy, and keeps my hair up pretty well, it's visible in my hair. Maybe my hair isn't thick enough for this, I don't know, but I don't think that's the problem. It's OK, but not fabulolus. I use it if I want to put my hair up when I take a bath, or around the house. We'll say 5/10.

My next one was the modern updo pin. Using the directions on the box, I was unable to put my hair up with this. While it looked nice, it really pulled and I felt it was so tight it was breaking my hair. But a quick Swagbucks search yielded this Utube video, which showed another way that does work for me. I'd give this a 7/10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWEcF4cRF8o

And I just bought the spinpins on the weekend. The general idea is you twist your hair into a bun, then spin one pin from the bottom, one pin from the top of your bun. I'm surpised at how simple these are, and they work great! Really doesn't tug, but holds my hair up. They do warn you not to interlock the pins, I'm wondering what will happen if that were to happen, would I have a hair emergency? Anyhow, that hasn't happened, so I'm giving these a 8/10.
    This thread is currently associated with: Esso - Imperial Oil, Walmart

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I hate a serious love/hate relationship with the modern updo pin!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get it just right it pulls your hair and your scalp so hard it feels like your eyes are going to pop out!!!!!!!!!!! NOT! PLEASANT!!! lol

But when you finally get it right it does stay in place and creates a very nice look.

Hmmmm...thinking I should give the spin pins a try...although now I'm scared my head will explode if I accidentally interlock them lol

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    I hate a serious love/hate relationship with the modern updo pin!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get it just right it pulls your hair and your scalp so hard it feels like your eyes are going to pop out!!!!!!!!!!! NOT! PLEASANT!!! lol

But when you finally get it right it does stay in place and creates a very nice look.

Hmmmm...thinking I should give the spin pins a try...although now I'm scared my head will explode if I accidentally interlock them lol
    If you interlock the pins, your head will not explode. But it will knock the earth off its axis and lead us to certain death as it spirals into the sun.

I have the same experience with the updo pin, it sometimes takes a couple of tries before it's not ripping my hair out of my scalp. Did you try the method on that utube video? You push it in from the side instead of the top, seems to work much better for me.

The spinpins are the best of the bunch IMO though, give 'em a go! I've had my hair up with those the last two days. I put it up when it's wet though, and with fairly thick hair, it's still a bit wet when I unwind it at night. Am I at risk for mildewed hair?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

i have the generic versions of the spin pins from ebay. can't justify buying 2 spin pins for $8 when the generic ones are 10 for $1.50, buy it now they don't work with my hair because it's too thin and layered. the bun is really small like the size of a jawbreaker after my hair is secured.
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mimi- View Post
    i have the generic versions of the spin pins from ebay. can't justify buying 2 spin pins for $8 when the generic ones are 10 for $1.50, buy it now they don't work with my hair because it's too thin and layered. the bun is really small like the size of a jawbreaker after my hair is secured.
    Aw man, never even thought of looking there!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (80%)

My dd loves the spinpins for ballet buns. She is 12 and can put her own bun in with them.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mimi- View Post
    Agreed! I have layered hair and my friend suggested them to me. We both have loads of curly hair. They work well on hers but not so much on my. Most of it just falls out at the sides. To be expected I guess.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Great to know - I've been wondering about the spinpins, too!

Best for me in this hot weather is a jawclip - I gather my hair in a high ponytail at the back, twist it, flip it up, then with my head bent down I gather the hair with the clip on one side, then the other - and it's done. Kinda cute because the hair sticks up over the top of the clip.
    I swear I don't know what I'll do when this one breaks... usually they are a really brittle plastic which will just snap at some point, or the hingest bust. I got this one at Liquidation world, some off-brand I don't even remember, for 25 cents - and if I had known it would be this good, I would have bought 10!!!!

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    The spinpins are the best of the bunch IMO though, give 'em a go! I've had my hair up with those the last two days. I put it up when it's wet though, and with fairly thick hair, it's still a bit wet when I unwind it at night. Am I at risk for mildewed hair?
    Actually I've heard that putting up your hair while wet is bad for your hair because that when it is most fragile & prone to breakage. If this is correct, you may want to stop doing that to avoid split ends & frizz.

And thanks for the spin pin review! I've actually been curious as to how those work. My only question is if it's possible to create a looser bun look with the spin pins? Like, if I put it up tight and pull out the strands a little to make it look more casual, will that work, or mess up the pins?

I'm thinking that the pin might fall out or get caught in my hair so I'm not too sure if I should purchase considering I prefer a softer bun look for myself (soft or tight buns? ).

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mle View Post
    Actually I've heard that putting up your hair while wet is bad for your hair because that when it is most fragile & prone to breakage. If this is correct, you may want to stop doing that to avoid split ends & frizz.

And thanks for the spin pin review! I've actually been curious as to how those work. My only question is if it's possible to create a looser bun look with the spin pins? Like, if I put it up tight and pull out the strands a little to make it look more casual, will that work, or mess up the pins?

I'm thinking that the pin might fall out or get caught in my hair so I'm not too sure if I should purchase considering I prefer a softer bun look for myself (soft or tight buns? ).
    Thanks for the tip on the wet hair. But well, my hair is just not dry by the time I leave, and it's too warm to wear it down. Maybe I need to use a better towel wrapped around it for longer!

I think you can make your bun as tight or as loose as you'd like with the spin pins. I don't think they'd fall out, they kind of catch several layers of hair behind your bun. I can't get them out without spinning them in reverse.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I have the spin pin. I actually found it at SDM clearance for $1 about a month ago I do like it but my hair is only shoulder length and very fine so I am waiting for it to grow a but before I can use it. I tried it on my daughter's hair, which is quite thick but very slick. I found it didn't stay well enough for her but they are still a neat little gadget if you can find them on sale
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the review. I really want to try these because I have really long hair and need more ways to keep it up.

My only concern is removing the pins and the bun styler. I would be worried about them getting stuck in my hair.

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

I bought the mini spin pins (3pk for 6.97) for DD and they work terrific!! She has fine straight hair which can't hold a barrette. I used 2 pins to make a bun at the nape of her neck and it held .
    I was debating getting the larger ones for myself but couldn't justify the $7 price tag, but now Ill check ebay.

@ Nat- I have one of those jawclips and have a heck of a time getting it in my hair. Maybe it's to small because evrytime I put it in the clip pops open.
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like hair accessories and I’m a collector of anything with regards to my hair, my crowning glory. I’ve been using clips and headbands from HairClippy.com. Their indeed of high quality. Their clips, especially, are soft and comfy to wear. They won’t hurt your scalp, I promise!
    Last edited by twinklebaby; Tue, Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Thread Information