User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Cooking a turkey for the first time. What type of pan should I buy?

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

This will be my first time cooking a turkey for thanksgiving. Today I bought a little 5lb turkey for just a little over $5 at No Frills so I have it for Thanksgiving next weekend.
    Now I need to find a pan to cook said turkey in. Any suggestions for a decent (inexpensive) roasting pan. Ideally something that will fit the 5lb turkey and some potato stuffing. I only have glass pyrex pans. Can I use one of those if the turkey fits or do I need to get a metal roasting pan? I am just at a loss for what type of pan I should buy if I need to buy one (I currently only have glass pyrex cookware). I know my mom has a really large black speckled roasting pan with lid which would be way too big for what I need since she used to cook 20lb turkeys in that thing, and I don't see them listed on any of the sites I have been checking so far for pans (walmart, ikea, target, homesense).
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Sense, IKEA, No Frills, Target, Walmart

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Your glass ones are fine, as long as everything fits!
    I always make sure the sides of my pan aren't too high- I like crispy skin. More air circulation around the bird helps with that.
    Line with foil for easier clean up. I also put the bird on a rack in the pan for the same reason as mentioned.

Are you stuffing your bird? Or just making stuffing on the side? I prefer the latter.
    thriftygranny likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    Your glass ones are fine, as long as everything fits!
    I always make sure the sides of my pan aren't too high- I like crispy skin. More air circulation around the bird helps with that.
    Line with foil for easier clean up. I also put the bird on a rack in the pan for the same reason as mentioned.

Are you stuffing your bird? Or just making stuffing on the side? I prefer the latter.
    I don't eat the skin so no preference there. I'm probably going to just do the stuffing around the outside of the bird and maybe a tiny bit inside since I don't want to have to dig it all out and I like crispy potatoes. I don't have a pan large enough right now, but I know the dollar store has an 11x13 pyrex pan that I think the turkey would fit in. I would have to measure the turkey and see LOL!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I don't eat the skin so no preference there. I'm probably going to just do the stuffing around the outside of the bird and maybe a tiny bit inside since I don't want to have to dig it all out and I like crispy potatoes. I don't have a pan large enough right now, but I know the dollar store has an 11x13 pyrex pan that I think the turkey would fit in. I would have to measure the turkey and see LOL!
    Just keep in mind the turkey will leak juices while cooking!
    The stuffing around the bird will probably get mushy/absorb all the fat.
    Good luck!
    walkonby and thriftygranny like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
    walkonby and lilo0003 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

If you don't cook things like this regularly, I'd go for a foil pan, cheap and easy. Pyrex should work fine too (that's what most of my baking pans are too). Be sure you give your turkey plenty of time to defrost in the fridge, they're notorious for taking a long time!

I have a metal pan I use, and I put parchment paper on the bottom. You can still easily remove the browned bits and dripping for your gravy, parchment doesn't rip like foil does.
    lecale and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

A 13x9 will be probably big enough, and Pyrex will work, though I don't use it for that.

If you are going to buy something, get a medium roaster - you can use it for TONS of things like casseroles, stews, etc. They are usually around $10.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
    lecale and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    The other challenge is going to be, an unstuffed small turkey will cook much faster than a larger or stuffed bird and there might not be enough time/temp to crisp the stuffing.

I would do the turkey on a rack as janetta says and make gravy from the drippings (I don't use foil in the pan because of this) Do the stuffing on the side in its own pan if you are not putting it in the bird. Then if it needs more, less time or temp you can deal with it without involving the bird.

5 lb turkey, I didn't know they made them that small. Sure it's not a chicken? lol
    Yep it's a young turkey! I wasn't sure I would find one small enough either! I had one in my cart that was just over $8 but kept digging to see if I could find smaller and came across the $5 one. It's just me cooking and eating it so I think it will be more than enough for me to have on thanksgiving and leftovers to make turkey pot pie. I measured and it's 8x10...Yeah I am weird and measured my turkey! So if I can find another pyrex dish in the 9x13 or 11x13 (can't remember what it was but it was a lasagne pan) at the dollar store I will pick it up and use that since I can always reuse it as a lasagne pan for when I want a lot of leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    A 13x9 will be probably big enough, and Pyrex will work, though I don't use it for that.

If you are going to buy something, get a medium roaster - you can use it for TONS of things like casseroles, stews, etc. They are usually around $10.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/1/Cookware/Roasters/PRD~0420471P/Oval+Roaster%2C+9-12+lb..jsp?locale=en
    Thank you!! This is what my mom has that I was actually looking for! If I can find a nice small one at this point I may as well just buy that since it's cheap. I do stew in my crock pot so turkey would probably be the only thing I ever cook in it, but at least if I bought one I could always do chickens or buy a few more small turkeys when they go on sale and cook them up. I guess it looks like I may be going to Canadian Tire today LOL!

Now how many days before thanksgiving should I take the turkey and put it in the fridge to thaw? I just read somewhere a day for every pound but that seems too long to take it out 5 days before I prepare it?
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'd give it at least three days. If it's still icy inside, put it in a sink full of cold water for a couple hours. Change the water once in a while.
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:43 PM.
    Zonny likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    A little turk should be completely thawed in 3 days...I use paper towel to pat dry the inside

I don't tie up the legs when I roast because I use the leg test for seeing if it is done. Grab the end of one of the drumsticks and shake hands with it (wiggle it up and down). If it feels rubbery or springy it is still raw. If it moves nicely without resistance it is done, and if your leg falls off it is really really done lol

LOL!! Okay I shall do that. I have to clean it out anyway since it says it contains giblets and will most likely have all that other nasty stuff

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Hmmm, your pyrex should do the trick it if is big and deep enough to hold the turkey. You could invest in a small roaster, smaller version of the one your mother has, or you can just go to the dollar store and pick up a cheapy throwaway turkey roaster, one time use (you could wash it and reuse it again as long as their are no holes in it). But if you are just starting out, invest in a small roaster. They come in several sizes and once you buy one you basically have it for life. Ive had the same ones for over 35 years now.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    Hmmm, your pyrex should do the trick it if is big and deep enough to hold the turkey. You could invest in a small roaster, smaller version of the one your mother has, or you can just go to the dollar store and pick up a cheapy throwaway turkey roaster, one time use (you could wash it and reuse it again as long as their are no holes in it). But if you are just starting out, invest in a small roaster. They come in several sizes and once you buy one you basically have it for life. Ive had the same ones for over 35 years now.
    That is what I thought. I have a kettle roaster that I won years ago but it's at home with my mom since I share a small space with a roommate and don't have the storage space here. I think I will just invest in the smallest roaster I can find and then keep my kettle roaster for larger things since it's fairly large. I don't have a lot of cookware since I have been buying things as I need them. Going to Canadian Tire today on my way home and hopefully they still have some left.
    SnowFlakey likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am curious why you don't just get the fairly sturdy aluminum cooking roast pans that most of the Dollar stores carry. It can be tossed out after, or washed and saved.
    SnowFlakey likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I am curious why you don't just get the fairly sturdy aluminum cooking roast pans that most of the Dollar stores carry. It can be tossed out after, or washed and saved.
    I mentioned that also. But in the long run, i prefer the traditional roaster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information