User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Apples and Zuchinis, help !

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

So DF decided he's going on a health bender and loaded up on veggies .... from Costco , and my groceries had already been done.. thank goodness for my Tupperwares that keep that stuff fresh...

So I need recipes for Zuchini cause I got sooo much.

We also went apple picking... twice.. so I have about 20lbs of apples left to make stuff .. and I already made about 18lbs worth of apple sauce.. what else can I make and more importantly how do I store it and how long does it keep???

Thank you
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Costco
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Apples:

Apple Pie
    Apple Cider
    Apple Crumble
    Candy Apples

No idea on the zuchini because I am not a fan of that stuff!
    tasha313 likes this.
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ok tasha, just breathe, lol.

I have felt that overwhelming panic with " too much zucchini " too. I say make muffins ( grate the veg and add to batter) then if there is room in your freezer, put them there. Also homemade soup can never have too many veg in it, chop.dice some up in there. Same goes for stir fry, the more veg the better,

Zuchinni takes on the flavour of what you put it with, so some have made chocolate cake and grated it in because you cannot detect it is there....neat trick for kids to get them to eat veg.

I made something a few times by slicing the z's in half lengthwise, scoop out a fair bit of the middle chop it up, then mix it with whatever you love ( eg: grated cheese, breadcrumbs, tiny diced onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, if you are a meat lover, toss into the mixture some tuna, or other protein ) Then refill the hollowed out z shells, sprinkle a few breadcrumbs and more cheese on the top and bake 350 for about 15-20 min, then broil for maybe another minute to brown the tops.

The apples, also if you have room in your freezer, you can " prepare " them buy peeling, coring, and slicing, then freeze them in bags, I tossed lemon juice on them, but they were fine in a pie when I wanted them later ( handy to use)

Good luck!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Fabulons ideas for the zucchini i will definately try. Maybe ill be able to sneak some past DD

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    ok tasha, just breathe, lol.

I have felt that overwhelming panic with " too much zucchini " too. I say make muffins ( grate the veg and add to batter) then if there is room in your freezer, put them there. Also homemade soup can never have too many veg in it, chop.dice some up in there. Same goes for stir fry, the more veg the better,

Zuchinni takes on the flavour of what you put it with, so some have made chocolate cake and grated it in because you cannot detect it is there....neat trick for kids to get them to eat veg.

I made something a few times by slicing the z's in half lengthwise, scoop out a fair bit of the middle chop it up, then mix it with whatever you love ( eg: grated cheese, breadcrumbs, tiny diced onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, if you are a meat lover, toss into the mixture some tuna, or other protein ) Then refill the hollowed out z shells, sprinkle a few breadcrumbs and more cheese on the top and bake 350 for about 15-20 min, then broil for maybe another minute to brown the tops.

The apples, also if you have room in your freezer, you can " prepare " them buy peeling, coring, and slicing, then freeze them in bags, I tossed lemon juice on them, but they were fine in a pie when I wanted them later ( handy to use)

Good luck!
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

I eat zucchini almost everyday, lol. Fave ways of preparing it....

Baked zucchini sticks.
    - you will need two bowls, one with an egg and some milk well beated. Te they with one breadcrumbs and spices. Cut the zucchini into sticks (leave skin on) dip the sticks in milk mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 35min @ 400degrees.
    Serve with marinara sauce.

Zucchini pizza bites
    - slice zucchini into circles. Place on baking sheet, top with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is gooey and browned.

Roasted zucchini
    - chop zucchini into cubes approx 1/2 inch thick. Place in bowl and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp dried thyme. Spread on baking sheet and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes @ 450 degrees. You will want to turn vegetables quite often so they do not burn. Once cooked place back in bowl and toss with 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Then serve.

I also cube the zucchini and toss it in spagetti sauce for a thicker "meatier" sauce. Also great in muffins, cakes, or fried on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    tasha313, lecale, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

My favorite way to do zucchini is to slice it thin or into matchstick with a mandoline, fry that up, season, and poach an egg on top.
    tasha313 and snuffaluffagus like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Zucchini is one of my favourite things to cook with because it's flavour comes from what it's cooked with or in. Zucchini brownies are one of my favourites. Zucchini bread is also a great way to use it. Make a veggie lasagna, zucchini chips, put it in a frittata or quiche, put it in a coleslaw or salad, stuffed zucchini sticks and you can shred it and freeze it.

As for apples, one of my favourite things to do with them is cut it up, pan fry with some butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and maybe some syrup. It's a great dessert topping and I love it on waffles. Baked apple chips and apple sauce are also great ways to use up apples.
    tasha313, lecale, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Fav way for zucchinis slice lay flat, sprinkle some mozza and parm cheese add some sliced grape tomatoes and bake for 30 min them broil for 2 Mmm so good
    tasha313, lecale and walkonby like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:33 AM.
    tasha313 and SnowFlakey like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Zucchini is great in muffins or a loaf. I am not a big fan of zucchini, but like it in muffins. Have also seen some stuffed zucchini recipes before, like walkonby suggested, including using couscous in the stuffing. They looked really good.

Here is a really good zucchini muffin recipe.
    http://thisnortherngirl.wordpress.co...ocolate-chips/

Apples can also be used in muffins or cookies. And you can dehydrate them too, which leads to a really long shelf life.

Apples have a long shelf life. I once lived in a place that had apple trees in the backyard. We picked the apples in the fall, put them in a somewhat cold area of the basement and kept them for months. I made applie pies and apple sauce several times a week for the family.
    tasha313, walkonby and bellaswan like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Stir-fry!!!
    tasha313 likes this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

If you have a juicer, make apple juice and then freeze the juice in containers. You can have fresh apple juice all winter long. No added préservatives like in the store, nothing but fresh apple juice. As for the zucchini, if you will use it in cakes, or muffins to get past the kids, i suggest you peel the skin off first. This way they wont even know you are using a veg. I have some great recipes for zucchini cake or muffins and lemon zucchini cake. Also if the zucchini is small, you can cut the top off, scope out the seeds and then stuff the zucchini with a mixture of minced meat and rice and then stand them up in your crock pot and cook with tomato sauce (like stuffed peppers).
    tasha313, lecale and bellaswan like this.

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Make a risotto with the zuccini or slice it really thinly- lengthwise- and use it to replace lasagne sheets in a lasagne.
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

The apples will keep quite a while if you keep them a cool, dark place (or in the fridge - but keep in mind the gas they give up will *help* everything else ripen quickly).

The zuc will keep in the fridge for a week to 10 days. I recommend grating and freezing it (with a little water in it) for muffins or quick breads. I also usually use it for lasagna, so make a couple pans and throw them just needing to bake in the freezer. We have been eating our bounty grilled dipped in olive oil, then dipped in a half parmesan cheese/half bread crumb mixture. Grill in oven at 375 or on the BBQ. Takes about 20 mins in oven.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Thanks everyone !!! What great ideas !!!! I will def try the baking with the zuc, and the lasagna idea looks quite fab too !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information