User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto
  • 2 Post By MortgageQueen

Thread: I'm not understanding how this is legal?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I pulled a copy of my credit report today. Mind you, I am a newcomer to Canada, only had my sin since June. I have 18 inquiries on my credit report. Everything else is in great standing. Of the 18 inquiries on my report, only 4 were authorized. I have no idea who or how the other companies were able to do an inquiry.

I called Equifax and their rep there stated to me over and over again that there is nothing that I can do to have them removed. He stated to me that any entity is allowed by law to pull my credit without my authorization/consent/knowledge. Is this 100% true? I am just outraged because I have no idea who most of these companies are. Does anyone have any knowledge/advice to give to me in this situation or can explain this law to me?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What a pile of crap. Here is an answer to your question from TransUnion (Equifax is under the same regulations)

Q Who can access my credit report?
    A
    Provincial and federal laws outline the requirements for what organizations may access your personal credit information. Typically, when you establish a relationship with an organization, they will have you complete an application form that contains a consent statement advising you of how they will use your information. For example, they may inquire with the credit bureau to make a decision about your application and once you have established an account with them, they may report that information to the credit reporting agency and periodically review the status of your account.

TransUnion may only provide organizations with access to your information if they have a permissible purpose as defined by provincial consumer reporting legislation
    . These permissible purposes typically relate to an extension of credit, collection of a debt, employment, tenancy, insurance and the establishment of a business relationship between you and an organization.
    http://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal...e#whoHasAccess

Let me tell you, mortgage brokers have to definitely get written permission to pull a report as do Lenders. Whenever you sign on a dotted line to apply for something. . . be very careful what you're signing. You're likely giving them permission to do so. A prospective employer or landlord can pull your report, but only if they tell you first. Police and provincial legal system can also pull it if it is required.

NOT just ANYONE. I think you got a lazy employee who was toying with you if he said "anyone" can pull your credit.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I pulled a copy of my credit report today. Mind you, I am a newcomer to Canada, only had my sin since June. I have 18 inquiries on my credit report. Everything else is in great standing. Of the 18 inquiries on my report, only 4 were authorized. I have no idea who or how the other companies were able to do an inquiry.

I called Equifax and their rep there stated to me over and over again that there is nothing that I can do to have them removed. He stated to me that any entity is allowed by law to pull my credit without my authorization/consent/knowledge. Is this 100% true? I am just outraged because I have no idea who most of these companies are. Does anyone have any knowledge/advice to give to me in this situation or can explain this law to me?
    No, they can't access or do an inquiry without your consent .

But more often than not , the companies who do it are very smart and somewhere in the fine print ( not in a very prominent pace ) they will say that they will do an inquiry .

Then they just give you a bunch of legal papers ( mumbo jumbo ) and ask you to click on agree or just sign here , lot of people trust them and sign the forms as they don't have the time or energy to read each and every line of the fine print
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I applied for a job where they were going to do a credit check on me ..I can understand a criminal check or a background check or something like that , but not sure what a credit check has got to do with whether I have the skills or qualifications or experience to do the job or not .

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:35 AM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I applied for a job where they were going to do a credit check on me ..I can understand a criminal check or a background check or something like that , but not sure what a credit check has got to do with whether I have the skills or qualifications or experience to do the job or not .
    every single call center I worked at we had credit check and I wasn't even dealing with credit cards but since I was looking a personal information it was necessary.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Too much big brother going on, if you ask me. .
    matrix82 and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I work for MTS and a credit report is done on everything you request - TV, Internet, Cell phone services

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

From my understanding, as explained to me by someone I use to work with who worked for one of the credit companies.

There are "soft" checks and "hard" checks. Soft checks are done by companies that are just having a look, like when you apply for an apartment or order cable. Hard check are done when you apply for actual credit.

Only hard checks effect your credit.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Thread Information