User Tag List

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree4165Likes

Thread: Remember to be Frugal - November Frugal Chatter

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

So I am just working on my budget this month and a couple of you asked how we manage to spend $50 a week on groceries so I thought I would share my grocery shop from yesterday. Remember we have a pretty big stockpile we eat from and replenish slowly. Also had a bunch of veggies leftover from DS' birthday on the weekend to use up still.

2 Large Striploin Steaks - 30% off, so $3.something each
    1 box Schneider's Country Naturals wings - $5.99 minus $2 peelie
    2 x 500g Black Diamond Cheese - $3.97 minus $0.75
    1 pack of Kraft cheese slices (FPC)
    1 bag of Kraft feta cheese (FPC)
    4 x McCain Fries $2.47 minus $2wub2 mf and cz each so $0.47 each
    2 x Astro yogurt - $1.67 minus $1
    2 x Five Alive - $1 each
    D'tialiano Bread $1.98
    Ziploc freezer bags $2.47 minus $3 wub both bread and bags
    D'italiano sausage buns $1.98 minus 50% sticker
    6 pack of muffins $2.88
    bunch of asparagus $2.15
    Dole romaine salad $1.99
    4 Bananas $0.97
    5 x Dianna sauce $1.88 each (stocking up for winter)
    4 x Hunts Thick n Rich sauce $0.99 each
    2 x Minute Rice box Jasmine variety $3 minus $1.50
    Lays chips (FPC)

I spent $53.91. Everything I bought was either on sale at Superstore, price matched, % off peelie or FPC and used coupons where I could.

The meals that I have planned based on this shop and what I have in the fridge/freezer will be...

Frozen pizza and salad with lots of veggies and feta (quick dinner last night before DS went out trick or treating)
    Steak (chicken for DH), McCain crispy fries, grilled asparagus
    Veggie stir fry using the rest of the fresh peppers and brocoli/cauliflower and carrots from last weekends party
    Whole chicken (had in freezer), grilled potatoe/carrot medley (had potatoes and carrots left from last week already)
    Spaghetti with garlic bread (beef and bread in freezer)
    Sausage on a bun, sweet potato fries
    ...and will probably eat at MIL's one night this weekend lol.

Lunches will be things like chicken wings, cheese and crackers, PB and banana sandwiches, salami sandwiches (leftover deli meat from last weekend) and other things we have in the freezer/cupboard like soups, pasta, etc.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

November..wow,October just flew by. Seems since I started reading these threads in July, time is just zooming by. Crazy windy day here in my part of Ontario. Need to get moving though. I feel like someone drugged me, but the only candy I ate last night was the stuff I bought Here's to a wonderful, warm, snowless November.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    So I am just working on my budget this month and a couple of you asked how we manage to spend $50 a week on groceries so I thought I would share my grocery shop from yesterday. Remember we have a pretty big stockpile we eat from and replenish slowly. Also had a bunch of veggies leftover from DS' birthday on the weekend to use up still.

2 x Five Alive - $1 each
    D'tialiano Bread $1.98
    6 pack of muffins $2.88
    bunch of asparagus $2.15
    Dole romaine salad $1.99
    4 Bananas $0.97
    Lays chips (FPC)

I spent $53.91. Everything I bought was either on sale at Superstore, price matched, % off peelie or FPC and used coupons where I could.

The meals that I have planned based on this shop and what I have in the fridge/freezer will be...

Frozen pizza and salad with lots of veggies and feta (quick dinner last night before DS went out trick or treating)
    Veggie stir fry using the rest of the fresh peppers and brocoli/cauliflower and carrots from last weekends party
    Whole chicken (had in freezer), grilled potatoe/carrot medley (had potatoes and carrots left from last week already)

Lunches will be things like chicken wings, cheese and crackers, PB and banana sandwiches, salami sandwiches (leftover deli meat from last weekend) and other things we have in the freezer/cupboard like soups, pasta, etc.
    Great shopping deals. I just read a post at about her no longer clipping coupons. Most responses were all for not couponing. I was thinking about everyone here getting amazing deals. I am still couponing for things I need. I was amazed so many seemed against it. I am all for saving money.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

What is this thread.. i'm reading and i'm

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Last night we had 70 kids visit for treats and the weather was quite balmy for them. Reviewed my Oct Spending and noticed my groceries were about $150 more-my conclusion is that, in our family at least, it costs about an extra $150 per month to feed a 10 year old girl-that would be our student from Korea. Now I am off to No Frills to get groceries and try price matching there as well.
    $150.00 seems pretty good to me as I am sure you are purchasing items for her that you wouldn't normally purchase.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Glad I noticed this thread this morning....I need challenging!!

My November list:

Unpack! We moved into our new home 5 months ago and I still have unpacked boxes sitting in the basement and garage. Sometimes I think I should just toss it all out since I don't know what's in them anymore, lol.

Get all our bills and insurance forms organized and enter our claims. I don't know what I'm waiting for as we're due for some decent refunds. Anyone else have medical insurance they procrastinate about claiming refunds on or, am I the only weirdo who does that ?

Sorting through and tossing out any harsh cleansers and toiletries in the house. Over the last several months, I've developed some allergies and rosacea . Using only the gentlest stuff, found in my kitchen of all places!, is helping clear it up so time to get rid of anything that may provoke the reactions I've been having.

The package trains have given me the idea to do the same for our families (including our older son) who are in Montreal. I'll get all my holiday shopping done this month so I can send it off to them in early December. This will be our first Christmas without them so this will comfort me in some small way I hope.
    Hi there and glad you noticed the thread as well, we have so much fun on here and lots of kind words of encouragement/advice. Congrats on moving into your new house, I can certainly understand having not unpacked everything and life can sometimes get busy. I must admit I also procrastinate with the dental & medical claims, I just find it such a hassle since dh & I both need to send it 2 copies. Great idea to send out bundle gifts in the mail, something to consider is the postal deadline to receive by Christmas I am sure we will see this posted on the news and/or radio stations. Also some companies that you order from will ship to another address which potentially could save you shipping costs, however, I am certain you wish to personalize the bundles so that may not be convenient. Again welcome to the thread and it's great to have you.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    So kind of you J and C to gift another family at Xmas as by your posts I know this has been a challenging year financially for your family! So nice to bring some cheer to another family.
    Thanks for your kind words, I donate quite a bit from my stockpile but do send frozen meats & such but in my mind there is someone else always worse off than us/me and Christmas seems to be the time of year to selfless in my opinion.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Just kind of a question for everyone. In general have you found the amount of coupons you use has gone down?

I have a ton of coupons but just cannot seem to get the deals I used too. Most weeks I am lucky to use 5 or so coupons. Even than lately I have found coupons we can use but still do not have the big shopping trips we used too. I guess it makes ask is it getting harder to coupon?

Like many others I only buy it if it is on sale, not on sale means we do not need it unless it is marked down with a peelie and even than it usually only something that never goes on sale or is bakery or produce. So my bills are not huge but in general my savings are good based on regular to sale price but my coupon savings are way down.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    J & C: I agree with Lizzie, incredible given how your year has been that you can still help others. If I help with any coupons let me know.
    Snuffalufagus: We just did the clean up of medical clains as I have to have the previous year submitted before the end of November. It is amazing how much it adds up. For out dental coverage the kids are on my plan and with 80% paid it left a bunch of 20% claims to go to DH (i dont have to submit as the dentist does the 1st claim for us). it was amazing how much we had pending.
    Thanks lilo for your kind offer, I think the reason I am able to do this as that I donate so much from my accumulated stockpile and of course I feel that another family needs a helping hand, I find the most expensive part is the gifts for the family but with advance lists (still have not rec'd) I can really watch the sale, they don't get super expensive gifts but they each get a few things, last year I used the Kelloggs cash for gas visas as I had lots of them from trades and that went a long way. If anyone has a few spare Del monte veggie coupons let me know what you are looking for in return as I have about 20 copies of the lastest smartsource insert that came out yesterday minus the pedigree coupons which I will be keeping as well my tradelist is in my signature line if you want to have a peek.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I don't know how your family does it with a low income as well. This year I am starting to worry about Christmas and how we are going to afford it as we recently found out we owe the government a fair amount of money and will not be recieving baby bonus until it is paid back with interest. It will be tight this year but we will make it work we always do right?
    I don't feel that we are low income as I receive CPP and medical pension (from work & sunlife, I worked for Health Canada) each month and dh does still get some monies from WSIB (however not what it used to be, he got caught back $2200 a month as you ladies know, he used to be a licensed union plumber) as well he is on a substitute CYW list (gets calls to replace people) but not permanent and of course no set schedules so no set income for that. We do both still make fairly reasonable incomes but have had both our incomes reduced considerably over the last year or two. Don't get me wrong we don't get what incomes we were used to and things tend to pop up that are unforeseeable or break but we still truck along but not without the aggravations or financial burdens.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Subscribed as well This month challenge is all about change and independancy for me
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

well hello again, also joining in again this month.
    Was up early this morning..and as a surprise date.. (Dh took the day off to spend with me as we've only seen each other a half in the last 4 days)
    Well the day started out frugal..as we could not find a single box of nothing at any of the stores leftover from halloween.. wow..empty shelves everywhere.. minus the still full price ones at RCSS.
    Then we went to NF's and picked up some things we needed on sale. plus two pre sliced pork loins.
    Then went to Dollar store, they are starting to get out more Christmas stuff. I found some really pretty 'garland' for $2.. pine cones, red glistening berries, and snow covered branches. so pretty. im going to wrap them into the green garland i have and some lights and put them on top of our cupboards.
    We went out for lunch $5 for both of us. Then he's taking me out to a local theatre for a free show and wine/cheese afterwards.
    After that i'm dressing him up as 'sexy' nurse for halloween. (late party at a local pub as the 26th was booked for something else)
    he and the 'guys' are going to hang out.. while i relax and pre-clean the house to start prep for decorating. Dh also surprised me by letting me know he plans to have the basement done before Christmas. WOOOHOOO.!!!!! he's taking two weeks off at the end of the month to get it done.. OMG so freakin excited.. we haven't been down there in 7 years.. its all his 'bar' stuff.
    I've also made an important health call and now awaiting confirmation on that..
    I'm a little anxious about Monday.. my Dad is going for minor surgery ..but at 81 nothing is minor.

Anyway.. Jas.. I like you and taking on a family this Christmas. instead of joining any trains this year.. I'm doing a huge gift basket up for them.. treats, presents and all.

Well thats it for now. oh yes..

Goals..
    Prepare my christmas cards (complete with calendars of the year to put on fridges)
    Clean stair railings, paint.
    Decorate house.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I may have some Del Monte Coupons, I will have to check when I get home.

Come on 4 pm, I want to go home.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Thanks lilo for your kind offer, I think the reason I am able to do this as that I donate so much from my accumulated stockpile and of course I feel that another family needs a helping hand, I find the most expensive part is the gifts for the family but with advance lists (still have not rec'd) I can really watch the sale, they don't get super expensive gifts but they each get a few things, last year I used the Kelloggs cash for gas visas as I had lots of them from trades and that went a long way. If anyone has a few spare Del monte veggie coupons let me know what you are looking for in return as I have about 20 copies of the lastest smartsource insert that came out yesterday minus the pedigree coupons which I will be keeping as well my tradelist is in my signature line if you want to have a peek.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I am not sure if I am going to be doing goals for November. Between being sick and in the hospital and this depression that has seemed to hit me that last few weeks, I wasn't able to accomplish many of my October goals.

- Start making homemade Christmas gifts... DS' felt food is the main priority but also want to start making some greeting card sets that I am going to give away. Haven't started creating yet but did purchase supplies and was given a sewing machine by DH's uncle so won't have to do it all by hand.
    - Use up foods in the freezer to make room for sales. We are packed full already even after the big defrost and have no room to stock up on Turkeys this week So far I dug out a Shepherd's pie for lunch this week, 2 bbq chicken packets for dinner tonight and a bag of chicken noodle soup and stew for 1 dinner and 1 lunch. Now at least I can buy ONE turkey this week and a couple pizzas lol. Premade meals have all been eaten aside from soup/stew that is left.
    - Get creative with stockpile foods to use up stock and save money. DS will soon start receiving waffles in his school lunches, bagels/cream cheese, frozen yogurt tubes, canned pineapple, random crackers, etc. Have started to use up random crackers, canned fruit, etc for his lunches.
    - Organize coupon binder and incoming coupons at least once per week and do more trades Binder has been kept organized and did 10 trades at the end of October
    - Organize closets (baby's, front hall, back patio, DS') and purge as much as possible Not yet completed. Did organize pantry and bathroom vanity cupboards
    - Organize stockpile room (once DH cleans out all his tools, etc from fixing the furnace)
    Somewhat organized quickly but not to my liking yet.
    - Organize and purge papers, bills, etc.
    Done

MaddensMomma you were ill, had a family and baby to care for and you are not feeling like yourself these days but you still outshined me with all the goals and challenges you achieved, I must admit I gave up 1/2 way through the month after my ds#2 dresser fiasco (lol). Have you been able to move your doctors appointment up or do you still have to wait 1 more week. I know when I had PPD my dh used to come home and I would be covered in baby vomit, nothing would be done around the house with the exception of making dinner and I didn't take care of myself hygene wise, please know that you are not alone and if you wish to pm me and chat by all means do so as I certainly know what you are going through. I know your inlaws are very eager and willing to help so let them take the kids for a few hours a week to give yourself some much needed me time even if you nap, take the time to shower or whatever, I found that this is what helped me the most when I was in that situation. Hope you feel better and please know you are not alone, also there may be coffee meetups in your area for support groups for PPD, they normally have childcare for free it's normally ran through a Health Unit or such and it's nice to see other people that are in the same situation as you, I know you are thinking I don't want to but it does help.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

2 x Five Alive - $1 each
    D'tialiano Bread $1.98
    6 pack of muffins $2.88
    bunch of asparagus $2.15
    Dole romaine salad $1.99
    4 Bananas $0.97
    Lays chips (FPC)

wow great job, you did amazing and thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information